Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO 991.2 availability and pricing - What’s worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2023 | 07:03 PM
Atheist
Racer

Originally Posted by DR911s
Some have mentioned comparing CPO cars and non-CPO cars together with an after market warranty, e.g. from Fidelity. I thought I had read on other threads that people have found it difficult or impossible to get a well-reputed after market warranty IF the OEM Porsche warranty including any CPO warranty had expired. If that is correct, and the buyer wants some form of warranty, that reduces his options.

I searched for almost 3 years before finding "my" car. I was at first concentrating on Cayman S cars and later expanded my search to 911 models including C2, C2S and C4 and C4S but was wanting metallic blue or Carmine red paint, PDK and Sport Chrono. I had all but given up when the car that I purchased appeared at a local Porsche dealer and the price seemed reasonable given its low mileage and extensive options and CPO warranty... that was 4 years ago. No regrets, except I wish I had found it earlier. Obviously, I didn't find my "blue" car!
FWIW I purchased my 2017 991.2 gts with a CPO warranty and while at the Porsche dealer I also added a five year 60K miles additional warranty on top of it. It is a Porsche warranty but backed by a 3rd party I believe. Since I financed the car for 5 years and plan to drive approx 12K miles per year it makes sense. The $90 per month it added to my payment is worth the piece of mind as I don't like making a car payment on a vehicle that is out of warranty. It is one thing to make a big car payment and another to have to pony up repair money on top of it. While I am typically a self insure kind of guy, when it comes to Porsche repair expenses I believe over the course of 5 years and 60,000 miles I can almost guarantee that most of what is spent on the warranty will come back to me if not quite a bit more should anything major happen. Which has been my experience with my 2011 Cayenne for which a $4700 warranty covered close to $18k in repairs over the coverage period.
The below chart is a probability percentage of a major repair based on the age of a Porsche 911. The first number is how old is the car in years, second number is the percentage of cars that will need a major repair and the dollar cost is the estimated average cost of the repairs per year., So keep in mind even the newest 991.2 is at least already in year 4. Based on these surveys a $5K or $6k warranty on a 4 year old car or older seems like a bargain. Certainly at least a good portion of the cost of the warranty will get used at some point and if one major issue happens then the warranty is a huge bargain providing it is a reputable provider. Especially if purchased through Porsche. Even the chart below is very conservative as you can see none of those average $ spent could include tranny or engine major issues.

Porsche 911 Maintenance Costs Year / Major Repair Probability / Annual Average Repair Cost
1 - 4.91% $780
2 - 8.14% $873
3 - 9.13% $1,020
4 - 16.13% $1,256
5 - 23.11% $1,451
6 - 25.99% $1,760
7 - 28.04% $2,385
8 - 36.25% $2,633
9 - 40.06% $2,865
10 - 47.59% $3,208
11 - 73.71% $3,252
12 - 91.69% $3,619
Old 04-20-2023 | 08:05 PM
HardRider
Racer

Holy ****. Looking for 2 years???? Goddam are we talking about having kids, getting married????? It's a car, a toy, at best transportation. If cost forces a multi-year search you are looking at cars beyond your means. Prices plummet every 10K miles. A 20K mile Porsche will get an extra $15K-20K over a 45K mile 991.2. Only advantage to CPO is guaranteed to have all maintenance complete when you obtain. CPO IS NOT NEW CAR WARRANTY. Many items will be classified as normal wear, still functional. Warranties suck. The chart above does not account for mileage, the most weighted factor on extended warranties.

I will trade mine in to Carvanna. No way do I have the patience for two year tire kickers. I looked for 3 weeks, made good solid offers on 3 cars. The other two cars price were lowered after I didn't buy. I love when everyone comments how prices have skyrocketed. Oh back in 2019 I could have gotten a 991.2 with 15K miles for $75K and today they are $95K. Ok I give up the $20K for the car, my portfolio grew more than that on many many many days during the same time....
Old 04-21-2023 | 10:14 AM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

too true, CPO is not for general maintenance items that are subject to normal wear and tear. I wanted a CPO as insurance for expensive failures. like all kinds of insurance (except life insurance, everybody dies) it may or may not be needed. either way everybody pays for maintenance, either a garage, dealer or DIY. I will extend the coverage for another 3 years at least when the 2 years is almost up. I will likely have to pay for the CPO check and bring any maintenance up to date as the next major service will be due, but pay to play. still cheaper than having your PDK blow up without the warranty. 2017 C2.
Old 04-21-2023 | 11:26 AM
mrahp23
AutoX

Originally Posted by HardRider
Holy ****. Looking for 2 years???? Goddam are we talking about having kids, getting married????? It's a car, a toy, at best transportation. If cost forces a multi-year search you are looking at cars beyond your means. Prices plummet every 10K miles. A 20K mile Porsche will get an extra $15K-20K over a 45K mile 991.2. Only advantage to CPO is guaranteed to have all maintenance complete when you obtain. CPO IS NOT NEW CAR WARRANTY. Many items will be classified as normal wear, still functional. Warranties suck. The chart above does not account for mileage, the most weighted factor on extended warranties.

I will trade mine in to Carvanna. No way do I have the patience for two year tire kickers. I looked for 3 weeks, made good solid offers on 3 cars. The other two cars price were lowered after I didn't buy. I love when everyone comments how prices have skyrocketed. Oh back in 2019 I could have gotten a 991.2 with 15K miles for $75K and today they are $95K. Ok I give up the $20K for the car, my portfolio grew more than that on many many many days during the same time....

I think you misinterpreted the entire thread. I am not here to compare dick sizes. We were advising OP to be patient and shop for the car, and not worry about a deal. I wanted a specific color (Chalk), Manual transmission, etc and was patient in identifying the perfect car (I was originally going to build a 992S but dealer had no allocation during COVID). I thought the price that I paid was a great deal for being patient to find the exact car that I wanted.
Old 04-21-2023 | 03:34 PM
Atheist
Racer

I agree with this sentiment. Sure I want the right car and the right price but prices are what they are and predicting the future is impossible. I got the itch to purchase beginning in November of 2022 prices were high and it wasn't easy finding the right car. I was flexible after driving a few cars, decided on a GTS and wanted a CPO car. Took a few weeks but I saw a car I liked, drove 250 miles round trip to inspect and purchased it before the year end. I did believe used car prices were a little inflated but I am still watching prices and they have not dropped. In the meantime I'm driving my car and enjoying it. A car you drive is not a good investment although sometimes they can appreciate but it is rare unless they are held for a long time and not driven. Even then they seldom can compete with any decent dividend paying liquid investment. I say find a car you like and can afford, buy it and drive it. If while you are enjoying the drive something better or more perfect comes along. Sell and buy that. Unless of course shopping for the dream trumps driving it. There is always the should have could have would have in hindsight but no hunter ever got fed by not pulling the trigger. Imagine looking for a 997 for so long the 991 comes out and then the 991.2 and then 992.

Last edited by Atheist; 04-21-2023 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2023 | 04:39 PM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

not an investment for me. I am retired, my wife is retired. she drives a Hyundai SUV that she likes so we don't NEED a second vehicle at all. but driving has been in my blood for decades even though I don't race. wanted a 911 for decades, I can afford it and that was that. however I didn't run out and buy it in a week, took 6 months to find what I was happy with. I drive it every time I go out other than the winter and other than a great car to travel with it's really just for ****s and giggles. a base model with a few options and PDK fit my bill even though I could afford a Turbo S if I really wanted to part with the cash. if I was a racer then that would have fit that bill. go for what fills your hole.
Old 04-22-2023 | 12:00 AM
HardRider
Racer

I have a small wacker but it makes me happy.... The 991.1's have all but fully depreciated. The 991.2's are close enough to fully depreciated and I see them increasing in price. Porsche is raising prices again next year. Can't even touch a used 992 for under $125K according to BAT. The 991.2 are know to be the most reliable Porshe ever built followed by 991.1. Mine is CPO but truth be told if I ever buy another Porsche 911 I couldn't care less if it were CPO. 991.2 prices peaked last June, dropped till end of December than stabilized and now increasing. I have owned over 30 cars, including Miatas, Corvettes, Cobra Replica's, Caddilac blah blah blah. Base 991.2 with manual transmission checks every single box. Sure the Superformance Cobra were fun, for about 45 minutes, then turned into a job. Kinda like a high priced *****, fun for awhile but then you're done with the bull****. Miata like a housewife. Reliable, fun, predictable. Porsche perfectly in-between. I would recommend a 911 to anyone even to own for just a little bit. It's important to own because every time you drive it you like it better. If you want to feel like a movie star and get tired of constant attention at every stop light, every gas station, then get a Superformance Cobra. Truth be told that why you have a collection one of each. By the way had 3 Superformance Cobra's. Made $10K-15K on everyone and today they are worth another $10-15K over what.I sold them for. Insanity, plastic car with zero technology and can't drive in the rain and they just keep going up. Go figure.
Old 04-22-2023 | 01:46 AM
Frankfurt1470
Advanced

I can understand the viewpoint of looking for “the deal” first, and then for the car. It’s just the way some of us are. My advice and encouragement would also be to keep looking, the deals are out there, and sometimes it just takes a bit of luck also. For whatever it’s worth, here is what I purchased back in February after looking for just about five days:

2019 CPO’ed 991.2 Carrera Base, white/black, 08/19 in-service-date, 31k miles, full 40k miles service done + 4 tires + new battery + brakes + spark plugs. PDK, PSE, SR, LCA, 20” glossy black rims, BOSE, heat&cool seats, black model lettering. Clean Carfax, full Porsche Service History. $87k + Tax/Title.

Was it a good financial decision? I have no idea, but at the time it was worth the money to me.

Either way, keep looking. They are so much fun and it really does look like the 991.2 is one of the most reliable models out there. So I really don’t think you’re going to go wrong, even if you spend a couple of dollars more.

Last edited by Frankfurt1470; 04-22-2023 at 01:53 AM.
Old 04-22-2023 | 02:31 AM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

I hate to ask, but what is a deal on a 911 (991.2 or 992) these days? Not sure if there is such a circumstance unless it’s a POS. Sounds like OP will be searching for a phantom for many, many more years. A deal should be a solid, well maintained vehicle that checks all the boxes and priced at market. Looking for a door buster or blue light special just ain’t gonna happen unless you buy a salvaged title. There is no deal on high demand, shortage luxury goods, even in this climate. OP, maybe a 997 is a better fit?

Last edited by Laszlo_Laz; 04-22-2023 at 02:33 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Laszlo_Laz:
awittig (04-24-2023), HardRider (04-22-2023), SConn (04-22-2023)
Old 04-22-2023 | 07:03 AM
Cur
Instructor

Originally Posted by Laszlo_Laz
I hate to ask, but what is a deal on a 911 (991.2 or 992) these days? Not sure if there is such a circumstance unless it’s a POS. Sounds like OP will be searching for a phantom for many, many more years. A deal should be a solid, well maintained vehicle that checks all the boxes and priced at market. Looking for a door buster or blue light special just ain’t gonna happen unless you buy a salvaged title. There is no deal on high demand, shortage luxury goods, even in this climate. OP, maybe a 997 is a better fit?
I think that's a personal question as everyone's tolerance is different in regard to how much money they are willing to spend.

I think anyone who is buying something is always looking for a 'deal'. I think the pertinent question is "how realistic are you about what you consider a deal".

These days, I'm happy with a car in the color that I like, options I want, and not marked up beyond market price
Old 04-22-2023 | 09:54 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

My thoughts. If you like the 992 and can swing it just go order a car. It will be exactly the config you want, and have zero miles and zero concerns.

The cost gap between new and CPO has become smaller and smaller. For a pampered car driven less than 5000-7000 miles a year, it might be worth looking into if you want a 991.2 vs 992.

Personally, no way I am paying close to $100k for used car with 30k to 50k miles if a new one can be had for 20% more with 0 miles, a 4 year full warranty, and no one else’s stink in it.

Old 04-22-2023 | 05:20 PM
HardRider
Racer

You are not getting a new 992 for $120K...... Try $140K. The most important decision is what transmission PDK or Manual. Manual from my experience adds $7.5K. Second most important decision is COLOR. The aforementioned are critical, a 911 is a "fun" car. A utility type Camry or tundra as long as you like the color who cares. I couldn't agree more with the "blue Light" comment. Not going to happen and truth be told most individuals haven't come to reality on pricing and many times higher than dealers!!!! 991.2 with PDK under 30K miles excellent deal $85K if original sticker around $115K. 991.2 with manual transmission under 30K miles $93K with original sticker $112K. Remember PDK were $3.3K option manual transmission were base at no cost. Funny how the PDK adds no value and the "free" manual adds value. Again when you look at the numbers that I am suggesting as good deals they are probably top 3% income individuals. Usually they are not in a position which forces sale.

The best deal I found was a 2013 carrera s with manual and 53K miles for $70k before ttl. Glove compartment was broken, loud squeak (later determined to be rear upper strut mount) and when sun hit headlights you could see some crazing. 53K miles someone was daily driving. Here the kicker the car was CPO up to 3 months before it was for sale by a Volvo dealer. Why the hell the previous owner did not have issues addressed before trading in I have no clue..... I didn't take because it didn't have that new car experience, could have gotten close with a great detail job. Second best deal was a 2017 991.2 PDK with 23k miles 8.5/10 condition, much better condition than 2013. Caddilac dealer started at 94 then 89K, I offered 79K they came down to $83K but I wanted manual so didn't take. The previous two had no CPO or warranty left. Best "deals" will be at non-porsche dealers. They simply don't know how to market them. All the aforementioned were in the color I wanted. I got a CPO Silver, with manual transmission, brand new tires, 40K service, Window sticker $112K, I paid $97,100 with 19K miles. All the aforementioned deals were found in two week period. It is spectacular looking with the options it has. Like a breast, I never get tired of looking at it. I paid $1800 to have it shipped so add that to price. May have spent $10K to much, may have bought right, either way who cares. A dollar is a dollar. Actually buying the 911 is my most profitable car. I got it at the end of October and made a goal to have $400k I had in cash account to pay for the 911 by end of year. I was hiding in the weeds last year in market, 911 got me back in game. Bought UNH at 550 sold at 529 (bad move took lost). Bought NFLX at 290 sold at 259 (another bad move it then went to $340 but I had loss). Bought apple did nothing. Bought NVDA at 129 sold a couple weeks ago at 265. NVDA easily paid for the 911........ I have a unique trait, I can make decisions, I can buy, I can sale, most can do one but not the other. This week should be interesting I bought msft and amazon they are both reporting. In summary forget about the blue light deals, even a widow will call a Porsche dealership to manage the sale...... Make no doubt I am the king of getting good deals, I shop house insurance every single year, I been to small claims court 9 time (won everytime). Drive a 23 year old Lexus everyday with 200K plus miles. My 911 is a baby step, get used to wasting $100K then you go $200K..... A semester at Texas A&M in state is $15K, wtf, I can spend something on myself, lol!!!!! On the flip side I would never ever make a car payment on any vehicle, if you can't pay cash wait until you can or don't buy!!!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Cur (04-22-2023)
Old 04-22-2023 | 06:01 PM
DR911s
Racer

My 2017 C2S in GT-Silver with CPO and 14k miles was priced at $99,600 at the Porsche dealership; it's window sticker was just below $135k including PDK, Sport Package which includes the smaller steering wheel and Sport Chrono and PSE, PASM [or Sport PASM], full two-tone Black/Bordeau leather dash and door sills with contrast stitching, and 14 way seats with heating and cooling, glass moonroof [which I would not have ordered or any sunroof if I had spec'd a new car to my order], Bose, PDLS, and RWD, and Bordeau instrument dials, PPF on the entire front end and headlamps and additional panels covering the rocker panels, and much of the rear fenders/hips area and lower rear quarter panels and mirrors, Blind Spot Warning, a set of Pirelli winter tires with very little wear on them, a Porsche indoor car cover and a Porsche battery maintenance charger which will also work on lithium batteries. I'm now near to 33k miles after 4 full years of ownership and as others have said, the more you drive it, the more you will like it. It too me a while to get used to having 2X the power that I had become very familiar with in my E36 M3, and the much better steering and brakes and overall grip and turning ability. I chose to buy another set of wheels from OZ Racing with TPMS sensors installed and Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires mounted from Tire Rack; these were no "Porsche" certified or approved at the time of my purchase, and to leave the Pirelli winter tires mounted on the OEM forged wheels until they are worn out. "My Porsche dealer" charges >$250 to swap a set of tires, and there is always a risk of damage to the wheels and the tires with each swap.

CPO warranty got me very few items because the car has been largely problem free: 1) the OEM USB receptacle in the center console under the armrest did not function reliably and thus Car Play was not reliable. When the connection was interrupted via motion of the car, that connection is not automatically re-established. The dealership replaced that receptacle and the entire cable from it to the PCC. Zero issues thereafter using a genuine Apple cable which I leave connected and hidden in that compartment when not in use. 2) Engine Service hatch struts failed in 2022; dealer replaced them under warranty.

As others have noted, other than the items listed above, zero issues. And per CarFax, the value of my car has moved from its purchase price to as low as $70k and then during the COVID-19 crisis and shortage of vehicles to about $110 and in their most recent message to me, to $85,450. Now that I am without any warranty, I have begun doing my own maintenance service including brake fluid changes and oil and filter changes and a full set of brake pads. Battery is still the original.

Everyone has to make his/her own decisions as to what is an acceptable vehicle and price; I wish all to be able to find a vehicle that excites them to drive it, and provides them enjoyment when they look at it.
Old 04-22-2023 | 09:09 PM
SConn
Drifting

You are not getting a new 992 for $120K...... Try $140K. The most important decision is what transmission PDK or Manual. Manual from my experience adds $7.5K. Second most important decision is COLOR. The aforementioned are critical, a 911 is a "fun" car. A utility type Camry or tundra as long as you like the color who cares. I couldn't agree more with the "blue Light" comment. Not going to happen and truth be told most individuals haven't come to reality on pricing and many times higher than dealers!!!! 991.2 with PDK under 30K miles excellent deal $85K if original sticker around $115K. 991.2 with manual transmission under 30K miles $93K with original sticker $112K. Remember PDK were $3.3K option manual transmission were base at no cost. Funny how the PDK adds no value and the "free" manual adds value. Again when you look at the numbers that I am suggesting as good deals they are probably top 3% income individuals. Usually they are not in a position which forces sale.

The best deal I found was a 2013 carrera s with manual and 53K miles for $70k before ttl. Glove compartment was broken, loud squeak (later determined to be rear upper strut mount) and when sun hit headlights you could see some crazing. 53K miles someone was daily driving. Here the kicker the car was CPO up to 3 months before it was for sale by a Volvo dealer. Why the hell the previous owner did not have issues addressed before trading in I have no clue..... I didn't take because it didn't have that new car experience, could have gotten close with a great detail job. Second best deal was a 2017 991.2 PDK with 23k miles 8.5/10 condition, much better condition than 2013. Caddilac dealer started at 94 then 89K, I offered 79K they came down to $83K but I wanted manual so didn't take. The previous two had no CPO or warranty left. Best "deals" will be at non-porsche dealers. They simply don't know how to market them. All the aforementioned were in the color I wanted. I got a CPO Silver, with manual transmission, brand new tires, 40K service, Window sticker $112K, I paid $97,100 with 19K miles. All the aforementioned deals were found in two week period. It is spectacular looking with the options it has. Like a breast, I never get tired of looking at it. I paid $1800 to have it shipped so add that to price. May have spent $10K to much, may have bought right, either way who cares. A dollar is a dollar. Actually buying the 911 is my most profitable car. I got it at the end of October and made a goal to have $400k I had in cash account to pay for the 911 by end of year. I was hiding in the weeds last year in market, 911 got me back in game. Bought UNH at 550 sold at 529 (bad move took lost). Bought NFLX at 290 sold at 259 (another bad move it then went to $340 but I had loss). Bought apple did nothing. Bought NVDA at 129 sold a couple weeks ago at 265. NVDA easily paid for the 911........ I have a unique trait, I can make decisions, I can buy, I can sale, most can do one but not the other. This week should be interesting I bought msft and amazon they are both reporting. In summary forget about the blue light deals, even a widow will call a Porsche dealership to manage the sale...... Make no doubt I am the king of getting good deals, I shop house insurance every single year, I been to small claims court 9 time (won everytime). Drive a 23 year old Lexus everyday with 200K plus miles. My 911 is a baby step, get used to wasting $100K then you go $200K..... A semester at Texas A&M in state is $15K, wtf, I can spend something on myself, lol!!!!! On the flip side I would never ever make a car payment on any vehicle, if you can't pay cash wait until you can or don't buy!!!!!!!!
How is a 991.2 with less than 30k miles different than a 2013 with 50k? 30k seems to be the cut off point for many on here regardless of age sometimes. A 2013 is a 10 yr old car. That's 5k miles a year. A 2017 car with 30k miles also has 5k per year.

Is there a motto of "30k and throw it away?" Just wondering... 😁
Old 04-22-2023 | 09:54 PM
HardRider
Racer

I agree 30K miles seams to be the cut-off for many with high disposable income. IN MY OPINION ONLY most 911 buyers are not mechanically inclined. They rely on dealer guidance. They know of BMW/German nightmares. Sooooo they buy with low miles and CPO to hedge their bets. I am mechanically inclined, I have taken mine apart to find rattles. In the end its just nuts and bolts, triple square fasteners. As I have said before my next 911 doesn't need to be CPO. Porsche charges what they know people will pay. Porsche tax is very real. If I had to do it again from an investment perspective I would have bought the 2013......... If money isn't a concern I would have bought the one I did. Again the 991.1 and 991.2 are very reliable vs other "exotics". If you are on a budget buy a base 991.2 without 4 wheel steering, without PASM (if I got that right) and I suspect you won't will have an extremely reliable car. For example Porshe is happy to charge $700 for a battery, which is the same battery in my boat I paid $129 for. I not even going to discuss the lithium batteries in the new 992 4 S's. There was a gorgeous 2017 911 manual 4S on BAT with 50K miles, sticker was $150K? it went for $88K deal of the year. I have no clue why it didn't go more. It had some higher revs in the ????? report. Complete BS to me. That was deal. My only guess all the option scare some away......
The following users liked this post:
SConn (04-23-2023)

Quick Reply: CPO 991.2 availability and pricing - What’s worth it?