Project Heated Shift Knob

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 08:24 PM
devtec
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Project Heated Shift ****

Hi all,

Never thought I'd love it as much as I do, but I'm a big fan of the heated steering wheel on my 991.2. It's so great, that when the hand goes down to the cold shifter, I can't help but notice the difference and wish that there was heating there too. Hard to believe manufacturers don't already do this. Though given that the manual is dying we should be thankful Porsche even still makes them. And yes the incongruence of having a manly shifter, and wanting luxury heating for it is not lost on me.

But during these cold SF Bay days, I need heat for my delicate hands. Can't imagine what it's like for all you chumps out there in actual cold weather. 😜

Have been mulling this for a while, so am finally diving in. Can't be too hard, right? Of course, safety is paramount.

Parts list:
Plan:
  • Tap fuse at location D1 in driver's side fuse panel, switched power (usually for rear wiper)
    • Run power wire from fuse box across underside of dash to the center console
  • Run power to temp controller that will be mounted within center console, ground to somewhere in center console
    • May put a switch inline if I can't figure out a way to integrate with steering wheel button
    • Will have a connector between power wire/ground and switch
  • Use temp controller to regulate heating element at about 40 degrees C (controller has a temp sensor)
    • Mount temp controller with velcro somewhere inside center console
  • Heating element wrapped around metal base of shifter
    • Will have a connector between heating element and temp controller so that shift **** remains removable
    • Mount temperature probe to metal in continuity with shift ****

Area where heating element will wrap around:

Parts so far:

Questions:
  • Ok, so this is where I need help from all the wiring gurus out there: control of the heated shifter. In order of preference:
    • ideally heated shifter would come on when heated steering wheel is activated by pressing button on steering wheel
    • heated seat button would be an alternative
    • separate power switch as a last choice
  • Heated steering wheel button
    • Anyone know how I might accomplish this?
    • I can't seem to locate a heated steering fuse or relay
    • But there's got to be a relay, right? Can anyone point me to it? Somewhere under dash, before the steering column? I don't plan to tap into the wires going into the steering wheel heating element itself, since I would then have to run back through the clock spring.
    • But if I can find the relay, I can just get power from that, or use that power to switch another relay going to the shifter temperature controller (heating wire, btw, has a very minimal current draw)
  • Heated seat button
    • Same strategy, could get power from the relays under the seat, but would much rather have control from the heated steering wheel button, since I often use just heated steering and not heated seats, and since steering and shifter touch points are the natural pair
  • Separate Switch
    • Can always do this, but who wants to mount an ugly switch somewhere?

I'm no electrician, so would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Last edited by devtec; 04-23-2023 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 10:53 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 502 Posts

Very interesting project. Great to see you taking this on.
The following users liked this post:
devtec (04-16-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 01:43 PM
yosshaa
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 28 Posts

Very silicone valley! Looking forward to you launching the app so you can control the temperature of your shift **** from your phone.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:01 PM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 568 Likes on 288 Posts

If you have the smokers package near the center console, placement of a hidden button and even power supply might be easier.
devtec (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 02:17 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 425 Posts

I think wrapping the heat tape around the base where you indicated, it will take forever for the heat to reach the shifter ball. Can the heat tape be moved further up?
devtec (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 03:22 PM
lunker325
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I’ve thought about doing this in my old e39 M5, but didn’t think it was plausible. Looking forward to how this turns out!
devtec (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 03:37 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 314 Posts

I just keep my one MJ glove in the car for the cold aluminium FF shift ****. However, I'm down to see how this plays out! What a fun project.
devtec (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 10:25 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 163 Posts

honestly thought you were joking in the header. this is nuts and cool at the same time. LOL!
devtec (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 10:52 PM
devtec
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RP4S911
If you have the smokers package near the center console, placement of a hidden button and even power supply might be easier.
Thank you for this, I do have the smoker's package so will be thinking about this. I'd like to strive for the elegance of being activated along with heated steering, but placing a switch in the ashtray would definitely be easier!

This might work facing upwards on the back wall of the ash tray if there is room. Like the Aventador start button, but for heated shifter. What cheezy goodness that would be.

Originally Posted by Jim M.
I think wrapping the heat tape around the base where you indicated, it will take forever for the heat to reach the shifter ball. Can the heat tape be moved further up?
What you see indicated by the green arrows is actually the base of the all metal shift ****, so I'm hoping it will not take too long to warm the top of the ****. That is the highest I could possibly place the heating element. But you're right, heat getting transmitted elsewhere is a concern (all to the Numeric assembly, LOL. Smoother shifts FTW?).

Only one way to find out!

Last edited by devtec; 04-24-2023 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:58 PM
devtec
Rennlist Member

I was able to locate this wiring diagram from the service manual:

I think this would describe connectors at the back of the steering wheel control unit (the whole piece that holds the clock spring and instrument stalks). Perhaps I can tap the wires from behind the steering column? Tap into Steering Wheel Heater + (RED/BLU)?

Control unit is the part in gray:

Also, I don't think there is a relay for the heated steering. Probably the control unit itself is powered and somehow switches the power itself?

If anyone with electrical knowledge can interpret the above diagrams and how they might be of use for this project, I'd really appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

Last edited by devtec; 04-17-2023 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 11:18 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,118 Likes on 666 Posts

Awesome idea and execution so far! I believe that the heated wheel switch is activated via can bus-which means you won’t be able to control it via a normal +12v switch/relay. I’m with you for the factory integration, however I think your best bet is to tap into the seat heaters (if they don’t operate on can-bus also and rely on a typical +12v setup). If they also operate on Can-bus, then a switch is your next option. Maybe try to make one of the column switch blanks functional for it?
Old 04-18-2023, 04:40 AM
devtec
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by polobai
Awesome idea and execution so far! I believe that the heated wheel switch is activated via can bus-which means you won’t be able to control it via a normal +12v switch/relay. I’m with you for the factory integration, however I think your best bet is to tap into the seat heaters (if they don’t operate on can-bus also and rely on a typical +12v setup). If they also operate on Can-bus, then a switch is your next option. Maybe try to make one of the column switch blanks functional for it?

Thank you, polobai! Can you explain why it would not be possible to tap into a power wire even with a CAN bus? I understand that the network will manage the commands, but won't a power wire go live downstream of the CAN bus at some point (even if there is not a relay or usual 12V system)? Could we not tap into that wire right before it heads into the clock spring? But yeah I get you, a separate switch is probably looking like the way to go...

Would love to use the blank spots on the center column panel, but pretty sure these switches are operated by Can-bus and would have to be programmed. Was researching and others have talked about using that bank for other purposes, even putting in a manual non can-bus switch, but apparently there's no room under the buttons.

Will keep researching!
Old 04-18-2023, 12:58 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,118 Likes on 666 Posts

From what I understand the can bus lines can control many other functions based on voltages applied as well-but I’m not versed in them and would be weary of tapping +12v to the wires. To use the center blanks you would have to come up with a creative way to make the dummy blanks function (micro switch underneath, etc) rather than reprogramming.
devtec (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 02:41 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,307 Likes on 734 Posts

Other than the challenge aspect, its cheaper and less aggravating to buy driving gloves.
Old 04-18-2023, 04:07 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts

Interesting idea, before diving too far into this project you may want to bench test with an external power source to if the **** will truly heat up with the heating element set so low. Good luck!
devtec (04-18-2023)

Quick Reply: Project Heated Shift Knob