Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Heated Shift Knob

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 04:55 PM
devtec
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 88 Posts

So I ordered the heating element from eBay. Shipping from China, so saying it will arrive in July. Right at the peak of summer, lol! Just could not seem to find a domestic source. If anyone has one, lmk.

Also got the switch, so experimented with some different locations. I wish I could find a smaller, more elegant switch. But this is the best I could find that has an indicator light, would require no drilling (self-adhesive), and can handle the amperage.

Nice hidden spot under steering wheel, and close to the heated steering button, so kind of makes sense.

Another spot within easy reach, but less obscure.

Close to shifter, makes sense. But not obscure.

A little lower.

Think I’m happy with this location facing driver and tucked nicely between two panels. Makes sense right next to shifter, within easy reach, can see indicator, low profile, and pretty obscure. Wires will also run right into center console where the thermostat controller and heating element will be.

Pretty clean… 👍🏾

Nice spot for the temperature controller.

And for the temperature probe.

Unfortunately all else on hold until the heating wire arrives!

Last edited by devtec; 05-01-2023 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-27-2023, 11:16 AM
pinion
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 118 Posts

The wires to the steering wheel heater are probably driven by PWM (pulse width modulation) output by a control module. If you can find and tap one of these output wires across a relay then you would be able to drive your shift **** heater with the same timing.

That kind of setup won’t give you the temp control options that your control/switch setup does but by varying the amount of heat wire you use you might be able to balance out the amount of heat the same way your steering wheel does.

Just a thought. Happy to see some real DIY work happening on a 911!
The following users liked this post:
devtec (04-29-2023)

Quick Reply: Project Heated Shift Knob