Sponsored by:

991.1 Instrument Cluster gauge/light issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 04:03 PM
irong
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 991.1 Instrument Cluster gauge/light issue

Hello all! Looking to buy my first Porsche (looking mainly at 991.1's) and came across an interesting issue on one and thought I would toss it here to see your thoughts. I tried to search for this, but could not find anything that addresses this issue specifically.

991.1 2CS....the issue is in the instrument cluster. The far left gauge (oil) does not work, neither the backlight or the gauge itself. The other parts of the cluster seem to work as expected. I called a dealer and they will only change out the entire cluster. I did not even ask the price, but would suspect it to be a few thousand or more. Anyway, I was wondering if this has come up and if so can it be fixed? I have seen several YT videos that show taking the cluster out (which looks to be fairly easy) and doing various enhancements like face color changes, but nothing for lighting or guage malfunction.

The rest of the car is mechanically and cosmetically sound. I would have no problem doing it myself and maybe even swapping out the gauge colors at the same time. I just need to know if it is doable or at least if a local shop could do it.

Thanks for taking a look!
Old 04-07-2023, 04:40 PM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Me personally and even if a strict budget I would pass on the car. Easier said than done, but patience and time will put you in a good example. That’s my opinion and mantra.
Old 04-07-2023, 10:23 PM
irong
3rd Gear

Thanks for the advice! You are spot on about having patience. I have been looking for a clean one at a fair price since about this time last year. I sort of got shocked with the crazy prices at that time and went into waiting mode. Seems like it will pay off since prices have dropped quite a bit. I believe they will drop more but at least they are close to being fair. For the one I mentioned I probably will pass unless they offer it at a discount. If it were not for this one issue I probably would try to get it. A shame really as the rest of the car is quite nice. Waiting a little longer may actually benefit me in more than just figuring out how to solve the problem with the instrument cluster.

I am going to look at another one next week. Wish me luck!

Thanks again for providing your 2 cents!
The following users liked this post:
Laszlo_Laz (04-08-2023)
Old 04-08-2023, 01:21 AM
mtuomi
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by irong
Hello all! Looking to buy my first Porsche (looking mainly at 991.1's) and came across an interesting issue on one and thought I would toss it here to see your thoughts. I tried to search for this, but could not find anything that addresses this issue specifically.

991.1 2CS....the issue is in the instrument cluster. The far left gauge (oil) does not work, neither the backlight or the gauge itself. The other parts of the cluster seem to work as expected. I called a dealer and they will only change out the entire cluster. I did not even ask the price, but would suspect it to be a few thousand or more. Anyway, I was wondering if this has come up and if so can it be fixed? I have seen several YT videos that show taking the cluster out (which looks to be fairly easy) and doing various enhancements like face color changes, but nothing for lighting or guage malfunction.

The rest of the car is mechanically and cosmetically sound. I would have no problem doing it myself and maybe even swapping out the gauge colors at the same time. I just need to know if it is doable or at least if a local shop could do it.

Thanks for taking a look!
Replacing the cluster is over $6k, so definitely more than a few thousand.
Old 04-08-2023, 11:12 AM
irong
3rd Gear

Yeah no doubt about it....not cheap to replace it.

Quick Reply: 991.1 Instrument Cluster gauge/light issue