Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So the bride wants a Targa for a daily driver...yes? No?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 02:26 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

My 991.2 Targa 4S has been my DD for the past year and the only car I currently own. It's a great DD, even in a congested city like where I live. The highlight of my workday is usually driving to and from the office, even though it's a short trip. I've always driven stick, but grown to really appreciate PDK. Get her a Targa, she'll love it.
Old 03-20-2023, 06:54 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default A 911 sends the wrong message

If your income depends on the public. However you said she has another DD so go for it. However misinformed or judgemental it may be people seem to think 911 owners make to much of their money.
The following users liked this post:
AdamSanta85 (03-22-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 10:01 AM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
If your income depends on the public. However you said she has another DD so go for it. However misinformed or judgemental it may be people seem to think 911 owners make to much of their money.
or .. it sends a message to list with me cause I’m that good.

If any listings are new construction, then rough roads might be an issue.

On bore scoring, that was prevalent only on the Mezger M-96 motors. The 9A991 motors did additional gas nitrating (at least on the .2)

Old 03-20-2023, 10:15 AM
Rudyr
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
I was thinking of mentioning that too, but it depends. If you're servicing high end clientele who are hiring you to sell their home, they probably see it as a marker of success and think it's a good thing that their agent drives a car that would look natural in front of their home. However, most agents are not auditioning for Million Dollar Listing. It can be off putting to roll up to clients in a 911 when we're now in the time of negotiating seller/agent fees, especially on higher dollar homes where there is a lot of margin sellers want to retain.

Again, buy the car because she likes and wants it. However, in no circumstance is it an "ideal" car for real estate. Nice SUVs are the norm not just because they can seat clients (and yes, I get it, most drive to locations themselves, but relocation clients like we were don't), but also because they can navigate construction zones and, most importantly, they're relatively neutral. You don't want buyers or sellers remembering your car, at all. This goes not just for real estate but for so many other job functions. You know how many law firm associates can afford a Porsche but don't dare buy one because they don't want to look flashy in the firm's parking lot? When I was in consulting one of the junior staff bought some small *** Mercedes SUV and I later learned he spent time working up his "explanation" as to why he bought it. I got a whole speech from him how he responsibly saved up, etc.

Last edited by Rudyr; 03-20-2023 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:49 AM
samiam21
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, rolling up in a 911 for an appointment can go good or bad depending on the situation. Clearly a 911 is not the ideal vehicle for running errands and real estate, but she seems to think that she can live with it. Again, we'll have the SQ5 for backup when the 911 is not the car to drive. I told her that I can get serious about car shopping in a couple months, which gives her more time to think about it. Ultimately it will be up to her to decide if a 911 can work for both fun and work.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:17 PM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 581 Likes on 294 Posts

Whole "A realtor needs more than 2 seats" is such an odd misconception that no one has ever seen in person. We've never ridden in a car with a realtor, and have never even seen that happen on tv either. "Sure, pick us up" lol. You always meet the realtor at the property. Most times, especially open houses, they get there first and are waiting for you to arrive.

However.... Some people see a realtor with a Porsche and think "oh they're getting too much from us" but If my realtor arrives and they're driving a $5k 2005 Mazda 3 that's on it's last leg I'm thinking "oh they are not good at what they do. We need something that's going to fight for us". Always a double edged sword I guess. Which would you want your financial advisor to arrive in?
Old 03-20-2023, 01:26 PM
Rudyr
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RP4S911
Which would you want your financial advisor to arrive in?
Something that looks financially responsible, but not something that will make me eye my .65% AUM fee every quarter before our call.

Realtors who do relocations absolutely drive people around. Their clients often don't have a car and/or don't feel comfortable navigating the local area. That might not be the case in his wife's instance, but it absolutely is the case for other realtors who take on clients from SIRVA and similar companies because they need to hustle for business.

Also, have to seen inside their cars? They're hauling signs, drones to take pictures, boxes of flyers and all sorts of other junk. It's still a very old school business from a marketing perspective and even 'successful' realtors are, behind the scenes, stuffing envelops to mail out monthly "newsletters", getting calendars to give out, etc. That's reality for prob 95% of the people in that line of work, even if they try their best to not project it.

SOURCE: My uncle makes a ton of $$$ in residential real estate, but his life is an absolute horror show of sending holiday gifts to hairdressers that send him 5 referrals a year and other scrappy stuff that I could never picture myself doing.

Last edited by Rudyr; 03-20-2023 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:40 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

I daily drove 2 GT3s and a GT3 RS for years - why not a targa?
shammerman (03-20-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 12:43 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 846 Likes on 439 Posts

This is easy; "Happy wife, happy Life."
Ponyrider (03-22-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 06:08 PM
TXGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
my wife has been looking for Carmine red PDK Targa.. Let me know if you come accross one
https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...reowned-GW5NN8

https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...reowned-3OWE08

https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...reowned-7VD307

https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...reowned-EE0006

https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...reowned-W7O534
Old 03-22-2023, 06:54 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

i wasted about 20 years coming up with excuses to NOT buy a 911....even though i easily could have. many of the same reason i see in this thread came into play. "what will my clients think" was used often to put off the purchase. same with "what if i need to schlep more then one person around". have lots of regret for looking for reasons/excuses to not move forward/buy one. i use my 911 as a 3.5 season DD. my rover covers me on the rest. only snow on the roadway and/or sub 45 degree temps keep from driving it everyday. learned that i really don't give a hoot what anyone thinks and have no problem telling people that i don't have room for them to ride along.

also....have moved/purchased 3 homes in the last 17 years. have never once ridden with the realtor to see a house. i didn't know that was still a thing in some places??

bottom line and for the billion-th time....life is short. do what ever it takes to make the most of the time you/your loved ones have left. get the gal a targa!! =)

Last edited by Levy; 03-22-2023 at 06:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Levy:
detansinn (03-22-2023), Dgags (03-22-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 10:57 PM
GP20
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm a top 2% realtor in my city, and since covid happened 3 years ago, I can probably count with 2 hands the number of times I had to drive clients around. And even when I had to drive clients, maybe half the time it was just one single person anyway. My 991.2 4GTS is my 3rd car but I have taken it to work and do property showings often as well.

As a realtor, my mentality is that yes I want my client to know I'm successful and experienced. And if I had a client who's gonna look at my car and thinks I make too much as opposed to appreciating my experiences and my values, well that's not the kind of clientele I care to waste my time on anyway.

Quick Reply: So the bride wants a Targa for a daily driver...yes? No?