Sponsored by:

Car cover reccomendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2023, 11:07 PM
sf jakey
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car cover reccomendation

I recently purchased a very clean 2013 carrera S cabriolet. I want to get a cover for the car when it’s in the garage as a bit of extra protection, to keep it clean and to keep kids and dogs from mistakenly damaging it. I also would like to be able to use the cover outside when I am up in the sierra nevadas to keep pollen and pine needles etc off the car when parked. Maybe I’m overly cautious because this is my first Porsche, but I want to keep it as nice as possible while enjoying it. I am not concerned about rain or snow protection, more dust, dirt, and minor contact from kids and dogs. Compactness to bring it with me is important. Any recommendations are welcome, and yes I have searched a lot, but not a ton of good info for my situation. Thank you and I love the experience so far
Old 03-05-2023, 11:09 PM
Slamminc6
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought the one from porsche. Great fit but the color is prone to getting dirty the minute you put it on. Especially at the wheel level. Mine is indoor only but believe they make an exterior version.
Old 03-05-2023, 11:14 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,781 Likes on 2,900 Posts

You'll damage the paint more with a car cover than leaving it open to the elements outside.
To minimize scratches, the car would have to be washed immediately prior to being covered and only covered in the garage. When covered outside, dust and dirt will get under the cover -- acting like an abrasive with the contact surfaces as the cover rubs against it.

Skip the cover. If you want to keep it "as nice as possible while enjoying it", invest in PPF.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
Porsche_nuts (03-06-2023), XLR82XS (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 08:43 AM
amiracle91
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I’ve used the cover king cove for my 991.2. They have a great selection depending on what you need and their covers fit great. You can sometimes find them for sale through Costco or just go to them direct https://coverking.com .

I understand the argument that this cover might cause micro-scratches, it will help protect it from the elements, kids, and dogs etc.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:50 AM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 455 Posts

Porsche indoor car cover is killer,pricey but killer,,,check ebay..sometimes cheaper than dealer
Old 03-06-2023, 10:10 AM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 568 Likes on 288 Posts

Unfortunately our latest house had the 2car garage converted into a massive playroom with walls knocked down. We have a 4 and 2 year old so for the next few years mine will be stuck outside too until they get older and we convert back or move (it was the wife's 'perfect' house...).

I ordered a custom Covercraft cover, so it would fit the ducktail. They even had an option for extra felt over the seams, and some outdoor covers have soft interior layers. I leave mine covered all the time, however I'm only ok with that because I have full-car PPF.

The following users liked this post:
detansinn (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 10:28 AM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 101 Posts

https://www.carcovers.com/covers/car...in-shield.html

I bought this, works very well, indoor only.
Old 03-06-2023, 12:17 PM
Kurvenflitzer
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

I bought mine from carcoverworld…..they are custom made for your model. Mine is indoor only, but they have outdoor versions, too. Very happy, with great fit. They do get dirty where they touch the tires…..I do have PPF/ceramic coating, but even without I’d be worried about hitting the car when moving things like a bike inside the garage, so no brained for me to get a cover.
Old 03-06-2023, 12:49 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,781 Likes on 2,900 Posts

Originally Posted by RP4S911
Unfortunately our latest house had the 2car garage converted into a massive playroom with walls knocked down. We have a 4 and 2 year old so for the next few years mine will be stuck outside too until they get older and we convert back or move (it was the wife's 'perfect' house...).

I ordered a custom Covercraft cover, so it would fit the ducktail. They even had an option for extra felt over the seams, and some outdoor covers have soft interior layers. I leave mine covered all the time, however I'm only ok with that because I have full-car PPF.
PPF is key for your use case, because paint directly to cover outside is hugely problematic.
Sorry to hear about your house compromise. In 28 years of marriage, garage has never been a "negotiable" for us.
Old 03-06-2023, 01:09 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by RP4S911
I recently got a Covercraft for 1 of my E39 M5 that currently has to sit outside. It's a nice cover.
Old 03-06-2023, 01:24 PM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 568 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
PPF is key for your use case, because paint directly to cover outside is hugely problematic.
Sorry to hear about your house compromise. In 28 years of marriage, garage has never been a "negotiable" for us.
It was just odd timing where I didn't have a 3rd "fun" car at the moment and we jumped on a steal before it came to market (seller had just lost their buyer, right before closing, and sold it cheap to us not ruin the closing on the one they were moving into). Plan was to convert back right away but it ended up being a great addition, then the latest 911 came, then the 2nd kid came... but at least the house was purchased right before covid.

My previous house had a 2.5 car garage with a pizza oven and a built in mechanics pit....... what was I thinking!
A lot of cool cars and motorcycles were built in that thing.

The following users liked this post:
detansinn (03-06-2023)

Quick Reply: Car cover reccomendation