Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which 991

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 11:25 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

It's a no brainer for me: the speed yellow MT!
Yes PDK is faster but you can't heel/toe
The following users liked this post:
soundbehindyou (03-06-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 12:09 AM
Iamlost
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Color doesn’t matter…

I bought a color I didn’t want; then immediately wrapped it in the exact color I wanted.

Eventually; I’ll wrap it in the NEXT color I want.

Plus; it keeps the original paint in perfect condition for its next owner!!

Last edited by Iamlost; 03-04-2023 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-04-2023, 02:04 AM
Pieters
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks all, for the arguments you all mention for picking your choice.

As mentioned it will be a weekend warrior so it has to be different to my DD car a Alfa Giulia Veloce in color Black. I will not add options aftermarket on the 991 keep it as is, not wrapping it because I like the racing yellow.

PASM and Sport Chrono of course are options that are really nice to have, engaging driving can be done put it in Sport Plus mode and work you way through the corners with the paddles. Coming from a Gallardo with e-gear I know it can be fun too, but e-gear was single clutch and was a pretty rough change gears but gave you a smile on your face.

MT is old school and very engaging and is different as my DD that is a plus, but shifting manual can be sometimes cumbersome if you hit traffic.

Will check out both cars, today I am going for the PDK to test drive and lets see if I am get excited, sure it will be but I will notice if it is not too smooth....

Last edited by Pieters; 03-04-2023 at 02:05 AM.
Old 03-04-2023, 03:53 AM
spiderspider
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

the problem with the manual is that it's one gear too many.
Old 03-04-2023, 09:05 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,063 Likes on 975 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderspider
the problem with the manual is that it's one gear too many.

The car doesn't force you to use that gear, I can count on one hand the times I have used that highway cruising gear. Rest of the ratios are not much different than a 6 speed car
Old 03-04-2023, 09:16 AM
911T4ME
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 108 Posts

I think having the 7th gear for highway cruising is great. Loafs along at more than highway speeds and 30+ mpg. Just one shift away from game on...

Last edited by 911T4ME; 03-04-2023 at 09:23 AM.
SSFox (03-18-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 09:54 AM
Pakman996-991.2
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SConn
OUCH!! Lol! And I've never been a fan of yellow. But yes, black is a part-time job on its own.

Wow. Looks amazing! Agreed. I had a Basalt black 996 and keeping it clean was half the fun :-)
SConn (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 10:53 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,174 Likes on 3,019 Posts

I consider Sport Chrono to be a critical option, especially on the turbocharged 991.2 and 992 cars. I wouldn’t touch one of those cars without it — omit spec’ing it on a new 911 at your peril. If a new 911 has only one feature, that feature is Sport Chrono.

With that being said, for a 991.1 if the choice is between PDK and manual, the manual transmission always wins. Beyond the various merits of the 911 3 pedal experience, when you go with a manual, you take the risk of a PDK failure off of the table. A manual transmission is timeless, whereas an automated/automatic transmission, even a dual clutch, can feel dated.
soundbehindyou (03-06-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 11:53 AM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,240 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I consider Sport Chrono to be a critical option, especially on the turbocharged 991.2 and 992 cars. I wouldn’t touch one of those cars without it — omit spec’ing it on a new 911 at your peril. If a new 911 has only one feature, that feature is Sport Chrono.

With that being said, for a 991.1 if the choice is between PDK and manual, the manual transmission always wins. Beyond the various merits of the 911 3 pedal experience, when you go with a manual, you take the risk of a PDK failure off of the table. A manual transmission is timeless, whereas an automated/automatic transmission, even a dual clutch, can feel dated.
If you’re planning to do a tune I would say SC isn’t as critical. Aftermarket tune is better than SC tune and the first thing I do when I get in my car is turn the dial to Sport, it’s not like I’m driving around town turning the dial into different modes. I always want the more aggressive tune option SC has, so, if a car didn’t have SC, and I put an aftermarket tune on it, it’s now always in an even faster better tune than the SC mode selector would give me. So, at least IMHO, if you are willing or planning to do a tune (and on a 991.2, why would you leave 100+hp on the table?) then having SC isn’t really that critical.
Old 03-04-2023, 02:25 PM
Pieters
Intermediate

I Beyond the various merits of the 911 3 pedal experience, when you go with a manual, you take the risk of a PDK failure off of the table. A manual transmission is timeless, whereas an automated/automatic transmission, even a dual clutch, can feel dated.
Good point!

Drove the black PDK today, gearbox is so smooth that you don't notice any gear change. Put it in Sport Plus it is very engaging and wants to be raced, with the paddles you can play and it is nice. However does it replace a manual, I am not over that point yet but it is lovely and fun and gets a smile on your face, not from ear to ear...

As the car is black and done 50k miles it has stone chips on the area of sills at the wheel arches, also the rear bumper at the wheel arches where pretty "damaged". If you want todo it right it should be re-sprayed, don't know if the seller wants to go that far.

Mostly in the yellow area.

Last edited by Pieters; 03-04-2023 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-04-2023, 02:30 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,174 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Originally Posted by Pieters
Good point!

Drove the black PDK today, gearbox is so smooth that you don't notice any gear change. Put it in Sport Plus it is very engaging and wants to be raced, with the paddles you can play and it is nice. However does it replace a manual, I am not over that point yet but it is lovely and fun and gets a smile on your face, not from ear to ear...

As the car is black and done 50k miles it has stone chips on the area of sills at the wheel arches, also the rear bumper at the wheel arches where pretty "damaged". If you want todo it right it should be re-sprayed, don't know if the seller wants to go that far.
it’s pre chipped. That way you can enjoy it without worrying about it being perfect. 👍
Pieters (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 03:25 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 165 Posts

Many people don’t know that the 7-speed manual is based on the PDK. Porsche wasn’t planning on offering manual in 991 until people started demanding it. That’s the main reason it’s a 7-speed. And it’s only slightly less complex.
Old 03-06-2023, 01:28 PM
Pieters
Intermediate

Thanks all!

Decision is being made, just have todo a testdrive, it will be the Racing Yellow with a manual gearbox.
The following 4 users liked this post by Pieters:
Catharpin (03-08-2023), detansinn (03-07-2023), ducktails (03-06-2023), soundbehindyou (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 02:44 PM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 584 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Pieters
Thanks all!

Decision is being made, just have todo a testdrive, it will be the Racing Yellow with a manual gearbox.
I've had manual fun/3rd cars my whole life. Here is my current perspective with your two. I actually drove the 911 into work today so it's pretty fresh. My current p-car is a PDK. Yes, I miss the manual but only when I'm not driving the car (if that makes ANY sense).

So in the cold mornings I drive the car like an old man until its up to operating temp, and being its only a 20min commute it doesn't leave much time to get all the juices flowing at higher rpm once I can. I would compare the yellow manual to my car during it's first part of the commute. I keep the car in normal mode, pasm is normal, pse off, but still shift with the stick. It's very underwhelming, not alot of noises when accelerating, and it just feels like a tame and refined old man car. Adding a manual would make it more engaging for sure, but how much more different is it than just driving a manual any-other car as a commuter. I was just driving a nice car to work. Now, once that PSE button, Sport button, and PASM button are pressed, it is a completely different animal... the real Porsche experience, the gurgles, the sound of all the rpm's, the G's and rails ride of the PASM, You feel like a little kid that is on a joyride, and it really does not matter that the left foot gets a break because you're still in full control of the chaos with the paddles or stick. The perfect 911 for us is PASM, PSE, Sport Chrono, Manual car... but I would pick a PDK car with all those " Porsche experience-enhancing" options every day of the week over a boring manual car. You will have options envy.

Yes, I have manual envy when I'm not actively driving it. However not one person EVER looked at the car and said "oh, its not a manual", which I thought they all would. Overseas everything is a manual, and the PDK is actually a big deal. The older muscle car guys feel the same way in their groups about carbureted cars, but most people could care less now. Honestly, all you can do is drive both and drive both as you would on a day where you just wanted to get out of the house and clear your head. The answer will come to you. Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by RP4S911:
Pieters (03-06-2023), SConn (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 02:59 PM
Pieters
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RP4S911
I've had manual fun/3rd cars my whole life. Here is my current perspective with your two. I actually drove the 911 into work today so it's pretty fresh. My current p-car is a PDK. Yes, I miss the manual but only when I'm not driving the car (if that makes ANY sense).

Yes, I have manual envy when I'm not actively driving it!
I will not go to work with this P, I have a Alfa Veloce for that with ZF automatic and Paddles.

Yes PDK is nice but it is very clean in Sport Plus it is very engaging but in my test drive I found out that it made choices on the public road that I would not make with a manual, sometimes it revs unnecessary by gearing down in first gear.

Sport Plus will be great on the track!

Manual is timeless as someone posted in my thread and it will not easy break.

But sure PDK is good and I can imagne that others choose this gearbox.
SSFox (03-18-2023)

Quick Reply: Which 991