Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is why you want an extended warranty.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2023 | 04:02 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jfischet
exactly. which is also an argument for self-insurance, 'cause that's what the smart money is doing.
smart money (if that is what we are calling insurance companies) is spreading the risk out across a large statistical body, averaging out individual losses with others. An individual is spreading all the risk out on a sample size of 1, if it is a loss there is nothing to average it out with to turn your overall situation into profit. So I would say self-insurance isn’t exactly doing what the insurance company is doing that allows them at the end of the day to turn a profit.

I was quoted $8k for a policy for my 10k mile 4 year old (at the time) car, and I personally felt given my car’s low mileage, and the platform’s overall general reliability, I was willing to take those odds for myself. Remind me in 3 more years to come back for an update on how it works out for me.
Old 03-01-2023 | 04:15 PM
Levy
Racer

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
The only company I have seen without a blacklist is Freedom Warranty
lots of companies do. maybe not an entire mfg or model range but certainly some specific models. Range Rover Super Charged V8's and some older Benz AMG's are two i have first hand knowledge of (not with Fidelity). another form of blacklisting is via price. without directly saying "we won't insure this", they do so via insane pricing. example: one i remember from 2018 is a 4/48 extension on a range rover sc with 55k miles on it (out of factory warranty obviously). dealer cost was $13,800 for exclusionary coverage. this price did have some internal dealer PAC (maybe $1000 or so) but it's still a monstrous price that no one i know of would bite on. Your company/Fidelity isn't known for this but others are. my point is really that if the ins and/or warranty company can't turn a profit on coverage, they won't offer it. simple as that. not necessarily a bad thing....just a fact of business and life in general.

Last edited by Levy; 03-01-2023 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2023 | 04:24 PM
Levy
Racer

Originally Posted by beh911
Another law of large numbers/peace of mind vs prideful self-insure/DIY/gambler blah blah blah thread.

So many threads on RL where people argue with one another over personal choice.

To each his own.
yep.....that is exactly what most insurance is. it's up to you and your feelings/circumstances.. there is no "right way to go" for everyone
Old 03-01-2023 | 04:33 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Levy
lots of companies do.
Correct, I was just saying Freedom is the only one I've seen that does not. Most warranty companies won't touch anything besides common daily drivers, others like Fidelity do offer coverage to "enthusiast vehicles", then Freedom Warranty is where we go for all the above and exotics, classics, and number of low production specialty vehicles.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 03-01-2023 | 09:04 PM
mtuomi
Advanced

Originally Posted by MingusDew
smart money (if that is what we are calling insurance companies) is spreading the risk out across a large statistical body, averaging out individual losses with others. An individual is spreading all the risk out on a sample size of 1, if it is a loss there is nothing to average it out with to turn your overall situation into profit. So I would say self-insurance isn’t exactly doing what the insurance company is doing that allows them at the end of the day to turn a profit.

I was quoted $8k for a policy for my 10k mile 4 year old (at the time) car, and I personally felt given my car’s low mileage, and the platform’s overall general reliability, I was willing to take those odds for myself. Remind me in 3 more years to come back for an update on how it works out for me.
That sounds like a lot, I paid just over $4000 for my 2014 50k mile car, exclusionary coverage. In my case it was almost a no brainer, because with these miles the chance of large repairs is much higher than at 10k miles.
Old 03-01-2023 | 09:05 PM
Levy
Racer

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
Correct, I was just saying Freedom is the only one I've seen that does not. Most warranty companies won't touch anything besides common daily drivers, others like Fidelity do offer coverage to "enthusiast vehicles", then Freedom Warranty is where we go for all the above and exotics, classics, and number of low production specialty vehicles.
has freedom been around a long time? not familiar with them at all. do recall a couple of companies that would do "any car" but this was 15-20 years ago. one gobbled up massive premiums on used/even older Bentley's, Ferrari's, Lambo's etc.... for about 2-3 years then went BK. offshore/Caman Islands based insurance company IIRC. stiffed lots of peeps. dealing with older/used exotics is like Russian Roulette only not as fair =). Fidelity is a reputable/solid company that knows its businesses. Best coverage/value out there on P cars imho.
Old 03-01-2023 | 09:20 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Levy
has freedom been around a long time? not familiar with them at all. do recall a couple of companies that would do "any car" but this was 15-20 years ago. one gobbled up massive premiums on used/even older Bentley's, Ferrari's, Lambo's etc.... for about 2-3 years then went BK. offshore/Caman Islands based insurance company IIRC. stiffed lots of peeps. dealing with older/used exotics is like Russian Roulette only not as fair =). Fidelity is a reputable/solid company that knows its businesses. Best coverage/value out there on P cars imho.
Freedom Warranty has been around for almost 10 years and going strong. Freedom's policies are often repackaged as dealership group's in house warranty, so the name is not floating around as much. Having access to both back end systems, Fidelity and Freedom Warranty, I can say both companies have the same claims ratios and payouts for our customers. We are extremely pleased with both companies and our customers are happy too!
Old 03-02-2023 | 11:34 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MingusDew

i'm sorry, i'm not trying to upset anyone, i'm just musing...

if the potential total cost of failure of whatever you are insuring will ruin your life then by all means get insurance. (the activity might be too risky in that case, though)

if you're just playing numbers, the sample of one's chances should be the same as the pool, unless there is fraud. (getting ins. when you know a failure is imminent, for example)

Vegas wasn't built on winners and neither are all those insurance companies. (health ins being the worst of them and literally ruining all of our health care system in the process.)
Old 03-03-2023 | 04:21 AM
regajohn
Racer

Originally Posted by mtuomi
Wish that was an option for the cabrio. I love that look.
it is (was) a factory option … “Sports Design Package” … ducktail with GTS front nose. Suncoast Porsche sells the parts.

Old 03-03-2023 | 04:28 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TriggerHappy
Lol - doesn’t apply to me but would be perfect for a friend - can you post the link where I can purchase? Thanks!
Sorry, no idea. It was an ad at the bottom of a site I was on. Just Google "I Fix Stuff and I Know Things".
Old 03-03-2023 | 02:39 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mtuomi
Wish that was an option for the cabrio. I love that look.
It is available for cab. Source - I have a GTS with it, OEM option.

Quick Reply: This is why you want an extended warranty.