Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too many owners hurt my resale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 10:16 AM
HardRider
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

Snake eyes is dead on with his comments. If you are concerned with resale do not buy a 911. Even at $100K purchase price it cost you $5K a year to own a 911. Money markets are paying 4.2% plus auto insurance totals $5K annually. Haven't even talked about depreciation. If you have to take a loan for a 911 which is a toy car that can easily be replaced by a $30K Camry I feel it is extremely foolish. Take the money and invest. Very few "jobs" will ever get you top 3% net worth. You have to take risk. First million takes a while, second much quicker, third surprises you. Once you get past five, start looking for a new hobby as collecting money gets boring, your daily account fluctuations dwarf what most people earn in a quarter. Thats when you buy your 911 Turbo and don't give a ****. I would never allow any vehicle to be more than 2% of my liquid net worth. Then again my first love is money.
Old 02-14-2023, 03:11 PM
Rudyr
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider
Once you get past five, start looking for a new hobby as collecting money gets boring, your daily account fluctuations dwarf what most people earn in a quarter.
Can you do a master class on how I can stop caring about money when I'm past $5mil (cash/equities mixed across brokerage and retirement accounts, not including properties)? Seriously, I'm very open minded to how others structure their finances to be able to draw a decent amount to live off of w/o touching the capital. Obviously an entirely different thread, but would subscribe to it!
Old 02-14-2023, 03:51 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,623 Likes on 683 Posts

Everyone has their own unique concerns. I’d never buy a vehicle with that many owners. I’d probably never buy a vehicle that had more than 2 owners in 3-5 years. I’d certainly buy a one-owner vehicle that was in a minor crash, was repaired at an authorized Porsche facility and had (heaven forbid!!) the accident noted on the Carfax as long as the owner had all documentation and photos. That wouldn’t bother me at all. But multiple owners is a red flag for me. You have no idea of the history and there is a high probability that the car was severely flogged by the owners who knew they’d only keep it a short time, another reason for multiple owners may be that there is a persistent problem. Just as an example, my neighbor had a 2020 992 with lots of electrical gremlins. He traded it for a 2021, and the dealer sold it as CPO to the next unsuspecting customer. My strong preference would be to always buy directly from one caring owner. But as said, others feel differently, which is fine.

Good luck.
Old 02-14-2023, 03:56 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

The number of owners could be deceptive, if the owner moved from one state to another they may punch that as a new owner depending on how the title work was done. If a dealership owned it for a bit that could count as well, sometimes a general manager drove it around for a bit etc. I agree with @HardRider when it comes to money.

Even having a loan on a car then paying it off could trip as a new owner, or going from lease to buy out and getting the car cpo'ed etc.

Last edited by NiteJav; 02-14-2023 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-14-2023, 08:45 PM
HardRider
Racer

Originally Posted by Rudyr
Can you do a master class on how I can stop caring about money when I'm past $5mil (cash/equities mixed across brokerage and retirement accounts, not including properties)? Seriously, I'm very open minded to how others structure their finances to be able to draw a decent amount to live off of w/o touching the capital. Obviously an entirely different thread, but would subscribe to it!
You never stop caring about money and whatever money you have isn't enough because you have it. So in my brain since I have it, it must not be much, lol. By the way a million dollars in 1972 is 6.8 million today. I am older so when a person says millionaire I think 1972 millionaire.

In reality nobody on the forum cares about $1? $1K? since it has no affect on their net worth or security. Figure out the the amount you can see disappear and it doesn't really matter to you, sure you may be in a bad mood for a day or two but nothing changes as far as retirement or future purchases. The more $$$ you have the greater that amount is, its all relative.

Old 02-17-2023, 01:45 PM
E55 guy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We love the car and are really torn. I wife loves it, mainly for the pdk makes her happy, but she too can drive a manual just fine. The power, pdk and looks seal the deal for her. I'm old school want a manual at heart for the engagement with the car. I have found another 911, with a manual, same miles, 3 owners, that I love...It's a Carrea S, not the Turbo, and it's 25K less...

Old 02-17-2023, 02:02 PM
E55 guy
Intermediate

Great write up, well written. The wife and I are at a fork in the road. She in her heart of hearts wants a pdk Porsche, but will do what her hubby wants in the end, she is a good woman, no a great woman! She likes the 2014 911 turbo, sharp car, fast, clean, PDK, but $128K.and 6 owners.. I like my latest find a 2017 Carrera S with 17,000 at miles and a manual and a 3 car ownership for $105. Both show decent maintenance history..The tough decisions of life for this week...

Nothing is easy about this....for me at least
Old 02-17-2023, 02:03 PM
HardRider
Racer

If it's not a daily driver, no brainer, no discussion, get the manual. I have taught my 15 year old to drive my 911 manual in two weekends. If I was driving in traffic every day, rain, then PKD then again I would not drive a 911 in traffic and rain every day. Get a Camry for that work. 911 manuals are very easy to drive, they could use a little more low end torque for young driver. Then again there no fear of it breaking loose on them either. I would say the 911 base is easier than Miata, no as twitchy as a Cobra replica (that will get out from under you). If I didn't have a manual I would need 550hp plus or I would be bored.

Just saw your post. There as a 14K mile silver 911S manual at exotic motor cars of Michigan for $99,900. He started at 129K last May. It looks new with new tires. no chrono package but has PASM.

Last edited by HardRider; 02-17-2023 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2023, 02:17 PM
E55 guy
Intermediate

I'm at the later part of what you had written and still worry about buying a 100K car...but that's me.. The wife is all over it ready to seal the deal..
Old 02-17-2023, 02:40 PM
HardRider
Racer

Well most are dead or not doing anything by 72 assuming no stroke or cancer then its earlier (Yea start paying $9K month for memory care on an elderly Alzheimer parent) that Porsche doesn't look very expensive anymore..... 2) you not spending $100K you are spending $15k? Assume you get car, hate it, must sell, you can easily sell for $15K less than you paid. Nobody says you still can't be cheap. I spent 14 hours aligning my car to save $200 from a reputable shop, lol. I am sure you were down $500K plus last year, what the difference between that and car depreciation. One thing I didn't count on when I bought mine was the joy of looking at it. I make my kid drive it up and down the street so I can watch it. It's nice to see something physical for your efforts also. It's like a breast it just never gets old to look at........... GET WHAT YOU WANT THOUGH, that way if it doesn't work out you know you dont want one. I did that with a F250, I know don't one now, no option they have could sway me to want one.....
Old 02-17-2023, 03:34 PM
E55 guy
Intermediate

It's like a breast it just never gets old to look at LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im dying
Old 02-17-2023, 08:04 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider;[url=tel:18630629
18630629[/url]]Snake eyes is dead on with his comments. If you are concerned with resale do not buy a 911. Even at $100K purchase price it cost you $5K a year to own a 911. Money markets are paying 4.2% plus auto insurance totals $5K annually. Haven't even talked about depreciation. If you have to take a loan for a 911 which is a toy car that can easily be replaced by a $30K Camry I feel it is extremely foolish. Take the money and invest. Very few "jobs" will ever get you top 3% net worth. You have to take risk. First million takes a while, second much quicker, third surprises you. Once you get past five, start looking for a new hobby as collecting money gets boring, your daily account fluctuations dwarf what most people earn in a quarter. Thats when you buy your 911 Turbo and don't give a ****. I would never allow any vehicle to be more than 2% of my liquid net worth. Then again my first love is money.
Excellent analysis. I have done exactly what you recommended. Investing in TSLA 4 years ago which made your description my reality. I purchased a 2019 Turbo 6 months ago. I drive it all year round , best car I have ever owned. I hope to put 100k plus mikes on it. Planning a road trip to the Bay of Fundi.
Old 02-17-2023, 09:28 PM
regajohn
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Lots of reasons for multiple owners, as mentioned, company leases it and then the owner of the company takes it over his personal car or a second or third car,
= 2 owners.

Some people buy the cars because it’s a status symbol, then they realize that it doesn’t ride like a Lexus uncomfortable or they don’t use it much or the wife doesn’t like it or they can’t put the top down because someone’s hair gets messed up yada yada yada = Low miles extra owners.

And there are the people who just trade cars every year.

Obviously you really don’t want to buy a car that somebody treats like a Chevy … curbing the wheels and scraping the air dam, there are also lots of people who have a Porsche as an extra car, don’t drive it much, but get all the maintenance done on time at the dealer.

As long as the car is used properly (warmed up before mashing the throttle, etc.), some amount of miles are better than a car that sits on used.

With regards to the other topic injected … you can never be too good looking … have too much money … or have too much horsepower!! ;-)
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (02-17-2023)

Quick Reply: Too many owners hurt my resale?