991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Cleaning Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2023 | 12:29 PM
Upscale Audio
Banned

I think that name-calling does not bode well on Rennlist. It's okay to disagree.

Back to the topic, satin black wheels were never a good idea for Porsche. I have two 911s that have them, and one of them I refinished and ceramic coated. The other I'm going to try cleaning and would like suggestions for ceramic
Old 02-12-2023 | 12:43 PM
dvalera001
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I think that name-calling does not bode well on Rennlist. It's okay to disagree.

Back to the topic, satin black wheels were never a good idea for Porsche. I have two 911s that have them, and one of them I refinished and ceramic coated. The other I'm going to try cleaning and would like suggestions for ceramic
You’re right. Apologies to all on that.

I need to ceramic coat my rims too. Break dust is driving me nuts and the Armor All Brake Dust Repellant is good, but want a better solution. Maybe ceramic brake pads and ceramic coated rims will do the trick.
Old 02-12-2023 | 05:57 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Some food for thought. Ceramic coatings are resistant to about pH of 11. Brake Buster has pH over 12. Chemicals of 1 pH number higher are 10 times as strong. Use a high quality Iron remover like Gyeon Iron. This is designed by a company that makes excellent ceramic coatings. Their Iron remover will remove iron particles without being overly aggressive. Their iron remover must be safe for their coatings and get the job done. There is no reason to use harsher chemicals than needed. Use a gentler product and maybe reapply if needed.

Just some advice from someone that has taken a deep dive into chemicals, pH levels, chemical resistance.p etc. Best to you.
The following users liked this post:
SConn (02-13-2023)
Old 02-12-2023 | 09:23 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Track Day

This product works good:
Amazon Amazon

Along with a little scrubbing with these:
Amazon Amazon

Once you have them clean and ceramic coated, they clean up very easily with regular car wash soap.

Old 02-13-2023 | 09:40 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Thanks to all who responded so far. Great information.
Some more pics of my car were requested. Here are a couple. Forgive me if they are too large. I'm the 2nd owner. The color is paint to sample Signal Yellow.

The following 5 users liked this post by Jastx:
Atlantan (02-21-2023), hivecopperfield (02-13-2023), MingusDew (03-17-2023), polobai (02-15-2023), Upscale Audio (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023 | 05:59 PM
Upscale Audio
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack F
Some food for thought. Ceramic coatings are resistant to about pH of 11. Brake Buster has pH over 12. Chemicals of 1 pH number higher are 10 times as strong. Use a high quality Iron remover like Gyeon Iron. This is designed by a company that makes excellent ceramic coatings. Their Iron remover will remove iron particles without being overly aggressive. Their iron remover must be safe for their coatings and get the job done. There is no reason to use harsher chemicals than needed. Use a gentler product and maybe reapply if needed.

Just some advice from someone that has taken a deep dive into chemicals, pH levels, chemical resistance.p etc. Best to you.

Now wait just a minute @Jack F you ain't getting off that easy! Help us out!

I'll go on record and say Satin Black wheels suck. I simply use Chemical Guys green car wash on my wheels, one of which is ceramic coated.

I'd simply like to know what the best Ceramic might be and what cleaner to use for maintenance.

By the way....I use the Armour All Brake Dust repelled spray on my Alfa but not on my Porsche as I don't know if I can trust it. The Satin Black seems "fragile"

@Jastx Beautidul car!!

Last edited by Upscale Audio; 02-13-2023 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-15-2023 | 01:01 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Just did mine a little bit ago. Just used soap and water to start, a good wheel cleaner next ( I like P21S wheel cleaner), then used a combination of nylon brushes by hand and on the end of the drill. Followed by a coat of wax.

The following 2 users liked this post by 996scott:
fluid15 (02-24-2023), MingusDew (03-17-2023)
Old 02-15-2023 | 02:11 PM
Rmck72
1st Gear

This is the way.

Spray w Sonax. Scrub with those brushes. Rinse. Dry with microfiber cloth to prevent spots.

Ceramic coating was a game changer. Used to take me 3 times as long to clean wheels as the rest of the car. Much quicker/easier now.

Old 02-21-2023 | 03:47 PM
Otto Bonn
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646

Along with a little scrubbing with these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Once you have them clean and ceramic coated, they clean up very easily with regular car wash soap.

These look good. Doesn't seem like the link is working now. Where do you get them?
Old 02-21-2023 | 05:30 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dvalera001
Oh boy, that’s great, but wasn’t asking and I don’t care what you think. I generally don’t really care what other think or opinions are, especially on this forum.

Too many people here think their opinions matter and feel so inclined to just post them on threads without adding any value to the thread or post. The posts are better without crap like this.

Not sure when this forum converted to a just opinion based forum vs genuinely just wanting to help people. IMO, keep your opinion to yourself unless asked for. There are other threads where people actually ask for you opinion, so just post them there. Thanks
I find this post fascinating!

Do America a favor:
1- Look up the definition of "forum".
2- Read your post above.
3- Ask yourself:
"Is my post an opinion about hating someone else's opinion?"
"Did I derail the thread with my Karen tendencies thus making my post zero value to others?"
"Should I just skip the posts that do not offer value to me? Maybe someone else could find it useful and/or funny"

I have so many questions...

OP: Griots Garage products work very well on baked brake dust.

Last edited by Guards_Red_991; 02-21-2023 at 05:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MingusDew (03-17-2023)
Old 02-21-2023 | 10:39 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Track Day

Originally Posted by c didy
These look good. Doesn't seem like the link is working now. Where do you get them?
@c didy Okay may not have posted the link for the brushes, just checked this link should be good. Got them on Amazon Liquid X Original Wheel Woolies Brushes 3 Piece Kit - Includes Angled Caliper Spoke Brush - USA Made - Black - New & Improved

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Wheel Cleaning Advice