Sponsored by:

991.2 Which one for mods? T or 4S widebody

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 11:11 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
T is really a parts bin special car UNLESS it is spec-d with carbon buckets, manual, and rws....... Just get a gts or 4s (wide body) and add a tune.
I agree it needs to be spec-d correctly but I have driven pretty much all of the carrera variants and there is some pixie dust there. Whether its just the right combo of stuff, software, etc I cant say.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:07 PM
Pakman996-991.2
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
I agree it needs to be spec-d correctly but I have driven pretty much all of the carrera variants and there is some pixie dust there. Whether its just the right combo of stuff, software, etc I cant say.
Do you think it could be attributed to the shorter gear ratios of the T? I’d imagine it’s a bit quicker off the line compared to the base
Old 02-03-2023, 08:15 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,470 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Pakman996-991.2
Do you think it could be attributed to the shorter gear ratios of the T? I’d imagine it’s a bit quicker off the line compared to the base
Honestly, if you dont care about carbon bucket seats then buy a carrera or carrera s and just add a tune. Unless you are tracking your car you won't notice the fluff of a carrera t on the street.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:54 AM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,031 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Driv200
If I could afford entry into a Turbo S, I would. The GTS is still a bit higher than my entry price can afford. My mods will spend same money or more, but I can do mods over time. Otherwise I agree, GTS is my best bet. I can’t find one under $130k. Turbo S is over $170k. And those center locks…..more expense for second set of rims...I’m trying to maximize my fun factor around $90-$100k entry price. The car will be garaged and loved when it’s not being used for PCA events and occasional track days. Mostly weekend drive events and turnpike runs. PCA Autocross also...I enjoy a good Turbo car with mods. I loved my 2020 Cayman GT4, but I want some top end power and with plenty of thrust. Loved my EVO IX RS with 700hp and AWD. Trying to find the right balance in a fun, modded, high horsepower car. This is where the .2 can play with the big boys. The T is more focused for the job. The 4S is more mature, but mostly about looks for me. I expect more options on the 4S. The T just has to have the right options mentioned above.
In this case I agree with most of the others that AWD is the way to go, specifically because of your power mod plans. If we put OEM options aside, would you agree that the most economical way forward is the most inexpensive C4 (not even an S model) in transmission of your choice? If you're upgrading all the bolt ons anyway, why pay for the S or GTS models? I understand if you want RAS or other unique OEM options, but if it's about purity of power and all wheel drive, I would think even a high mileage 991.2 C4 is the way to go?

And I like what someone said about the baby Turbo S idea - you could have Turbo S power and 7MT!!!! That would be fun.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:59 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis
In this case I agree with most of the others that AWD is the way to go, specifically because of your power mod plans. If we put OEM options aside, would you agree that the most economical way forward is the most inexpensive C4 (not even an S model) in transmission of your choice? If you're upgrading all the bolt ons anyway, why pay for the S or GTS models? I understand if you want RAS or other unique OEM options, but if it's about purity of power and all wheel drive, I would think even a high mileage 991.2 C4 is the way to go?

And I like what someone said about the baby Turbo S idea - you could have Turbo S power and 7MT!!!! That would be fun.
Thats the exact reason I bought my manual 2017 GTS. I wanted a "manual baby turbo s". Unfortunately, after dumping all the money into it the results didnt yield the experience a NA Porsche does. Again this is for me and I track my cars.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:51 AM
RichJ_cars
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Thats the exact reason I bought my manual 2017 GTS. I wanted a "manual baby turbo s". Unfortunately, after dumping all the money into it the results didnt yield the experience a NA Porsche does. Again this is for me and I track my cars.
Can you elaborate? Do you mean that your modded GTS doesn't have the appeal of a GT3? Or are you referring to some other NA Porsche?

p.s. Hi Driv200. We miss you in the EvoM Motorsports forum. I'm in the market for a 911 too, but my Evo RS isn't going anywhere. I'm EVO8LTW on EvoM, BTW.
The following users liked this post:
Driv200 (02-06-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 01:00 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RichJ_cars
Can you elaborate? Do you mean that your modded GTS doesn't have the appeal of a GT3? Or are you referring to some other NA Porsche?

p.s. Hi Driv200. We miss you in the EvoM Motorsports forum. I'm in the market for a 911 too, but my Evo RS isn't going anywhere. I'm EVO8LTW on EvoM, BTW.
The 991.2 lacks the sound and the power delivery takes away from the driving experience. Specifically, all the torque coming in so low means you don't have to rev it out like you do in the NA car.
Old 02-05-2023, 01:03 PM
RichJ_cars
Advanced

The 991.2 lacks the sound and the power delivery takes away from the driving experience. Specifically, all the torque coming in so low means you don't have to rev it out like you do in the NA car.
I see, but if you are talking about modifying a car with an aftermarket tune, you can actually shape the torque curve to act like an NA car. You are limited in how much torque you can add throughout the rev range, but you can always take away torque down low by dropping boost, timing or both.
Old 02-05-2023, 01:21 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

I see, but if you are talking about modifying a car with an aftermarket tune, you can actually shape the torque curve to act like an NA car. You are limited in how much torque you can add throughout the rev range, but you can always take away torque down low by dropping boost, timing or both.
ofcourse, but even with all the exhaust mods in the world i couldn't live with the vacuum cleaner sounds
Old 02-05-2023, 01:46 PM
RichJ_cars
Advanced

ofcourse, but even with all the exhaust mods in the world i couldn't live with the vacuum cleaner sounds
Kind of funny a funny comment for "supraguy" screenname, but as a GT350 owner looking to pick up a 911 this spring, I understand what you are saying. If you were doing it again, what would you buy?
Old 02-05-2023, 01:57 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Kind of funny a funny comment for "supraguy" screenname, but as a GT350 owner looking to pick up a 911 this spring, I understand what you are saying. If you were doing it again, what would you buy?
Owned a MKIV supra back in the day before they were the fad. I LOVE the GT350. If I were more of an "average Joe" in financial terms and all my limit was 70kish for a car it would be GT350 all day. Anyhow, when ot comes to a 911 nothing replaced a GT3. If you don't plan to track your car a 991.1 GTS or 4s (widebody) is the best. Just my .02
Old 02-06-2023, 03:24 AM
Driv200
Racer

Received 296 Likes on 119 Posts
Default You guys rock!

Love the feedback. My eyes are blurry from all my online Porsche shopping. I love every .2 I come across. Each has its special thing. The T keeps making the short list, but one with correct options is near GTS territory. Thought about the base C4 non S versions, then learned they don’t have correct differential. Someone mentioned above about the T not having something…??? Anyway, I’m close. Think I’m leaning C4S for the love affair I have with a great ***. If the right T falls in my lap with LWBS & RAS, then so be it. All my saved cars are in free fall(price) at the moment due to slow sales. First thing Biden has done that helps me. 😂 But, slowing down my private C8 listing too.
I like all the tune talk on here, but can’t believe so few videos that actually exist on YouTube. The same 3 or 4 are all there is. Keep searching for more. And most are Brits. Where are all the American guys??? Don’t send me any. I have seen all of them. And nothing against the Brits. I love when you all say “Its just mental this thing”LOL.
Have a great week guys! Send me your Pcar pics and your favorite mod. I need a reason to check this thread everyday. Thanks all. Be safe.
Old 02-06-2023, 11:37 AM
Pakman996-991.2
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Driv200
Love the feedback. My eyes are blurry from all my online Porsche shopping. I love every .2 I come across. Each has its special thing. The T keeps making the short list, but one with correct options is near GTS territory. Thought about the base C4 non S versions, then learned they don’t have correct differential. Someone mentioned above about the T not having something…??? Anyway, I’m close. Think I’m leaning C4S for the love affair I have with a great ***. If the right T falls in my lap with LWBS & RAS, then so be it. All my saved cars are in free fall(price) at the moment due to slow sales. First thing Biden has done that helps me. 😂 But, slowing down my private C8 listing too.
I like all the tune talk on here, but can’t believe so few videos that actually exist on YouTube. The same 3 or 4 are all there is. Keep searching for more. And most are Brits. Where are all the American guys??? Don’t send me any. I have seen all of them. And nothing against the Brits. I love when you all say “Its just mental this thing”LOL.
Have a great week guys! Send me your Pcar pics and your favorite mod. I need a reason to check this thread everyday. Thanks all. Be safe.
Check out Instagram. 911atx is good one. Alex documents his build and has tons of good content. He has a modded 991.2 C4S.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:06 PM
Driv200
Racer

Received 296 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Pakman996-991.2
Check out Instagram. 911atx is good one. Alex documents his build and has tons of good content. He has a modded 991.2 C4S.
Fantastic. Thank you! Sub'd.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:08 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,004 Likes on 1,776 Posts

I read conflicting ideas. On one hand you want all this power. On the other, you mention track days, autocross and drives with PCA. If you want to be competitive in Autocross, you need to first figure out what category you want to run under before you start modding. I'm also not sure bigger turbos with more lag are going to help you there. If you want to track your car, and I presume road course and not 1/4 mi., you ought to think about reliability issues. And lastly, going out for drives with PCA won't enable you explore the kind of power you're aiming for. Have you actually gone out and driven some of these cars so you can get a feel for what you're dealing with? Sometimes numbers on a piece of paper are meaningless and it's always a good idea to be clear about your intended use.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Which one for mods? T or 4S widebody