Roof Transport System - Non Porsche Accessory Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 10:50 AM
tjb.tky
AutoX

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Roof Transport System - Non Porsche Accessory Compatibility

Hi all,

I've recently added the roof transport system on my C4S. I also ordered the Porsche 320L roof box in Platinum finish, but due to shipping and stock delays, I may not receive the roof box until mid/end of February.

I was planning on driving the 911 to go snowboarding next weekend, so I wanted to check out quick/cheaper options for the Ski & Snowboard Roof Rack attachment. I can contact my Porsche dealer tomorrow, but they always seem to be out of stock of any Porsche accessories (I guess this is how Porsche dealers work in Japan...), so they will likely say they need to ship it from Germany etc.

If they have the Porsche brand ski/snowboard rack attachment in stock, I'll likely just purchase it from them -- but in the case that they are out of stock, I was wondering if non Porsche brand ski/snowboard mounts would be compatible with the Porsche Roof Transport System (I found quite a few brands like Inno, Yakima, Thule etc. with ski snowboard mounts at a fraction of the cost of Porsche's). My understanding is that the Porsche Roof Transport System uses T-bar/T-bolt mounting screws, so would any of the non Porsche brand ski mounts that are also using a T-bar/T-bolt mounting system be compatible with Porsche's roof transport system? I understand that any universal clamp/hook mounting system would work with Porsches Roof Transport System, but curious about the T-bar/T-bolts (if they are all the same universal sizing, and fit in Porsche's rack).

Old 01-29-2023, 01:46 PM
vtrich
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I have always used the U bolt fitments. I feel more secure with the U bolts wrapping around the whole bar. And, they are easy to install. I have a Packasport box, it’s pretty heavy and going 80 or 90 with just the little barrels holding everything together, I dunno. I’d bet the barrels are universal and I am sure engineering
ensures they are safe, just my observation
Old 01-30-2023, 02:06 PM
SSFox
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a Thule that connects perfectly
Old 01-30-2023, 02:11 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 511 Posts

Most roof rail accessories should attach without any issue just like they would attach to brands like Thule, Yakima, etc. I have the Porsche rails and attached a cargo box by Inno without any issues.
Old 01-30-2023, 03:03 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by tjb.tky
Hi all,

I've recently added the roof transport system on my C4S. I also ordered the Porsche 320L roof box in Platinum finish, but due to shipping and stock delays, I may not receive the roof box until mid/end of February.

I was planning on driving the 911 to go snowboarding next weekend, so I wanted to check out quick/cheaper options for the Ski & Snowboard Roof Rack attachment. I can contact my Porsche dealer tomorrow, but they always seem to be out of stock of any Porsche accessories (I guess this is how Porsche dealers work in Japan...), so they will likely say they need to ship it from Germany etc.

If they have the Porsche brand ski/snowboard rack attachment in stock, I'll likely just purchase it from them -- but in the case that they are out of stock, I was wondering if non Porsche brand ski/snowboard mounts would be compatible with the Porsche Roof Transport System (I found quite a few brands like Inno, Yakima, Thule etc. with ski snowboard mounts at a fraction of the cost of Porsche's). My understanding is that the Porsche Roof Transport System uses T-bar/T-bolt mounting screws, so would any of the non Porsche brand ski mounts that are also using a T-bar/T-bolt mounting system be compatible with Porsche's roof transport system? I understand that any universal clamp/hook mounting system would work with Porsches Roof Transport System, but curious about the T-bar/T-bolts (if they are all the same universal sizing, and fit in Porsche's rack).
Anything with the little bolts that can slide into the porsche rack rails will work, I use Thule Snowboard racks and Rocky Mounts bike racks with no issue. Obviously any U mount will work as well, but will mar the rack's finish, but not that big of an issues unless you are super OCD.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:46 AM
tjb.tky
AutoX

Thanks all,

I added an Inno t-bolt ski/snowboard rack that I bought on Amazon for about $110. The Inno t-bolts fit the Porsche RTS well and had no issues with fitment. Also Inno has their brand attached with stickers, but you can peel the stickers off easily for more of a stock look.

Regarding the rubber wind diffuser strips that come with Porsche RTS, I had them on the roof rack when nothing was installed on top, but is the idea to cut the rubber wind diffusers to fit around any t-bolt attachments that you add on the roof rack?

I was thinking to wait until the Porsche roof box arrives (assuming the length between the t-bolts are different from Inno’s ski rack) — but I am noticing a lot of wind noise/whistling with no rubber seal strips on the RTS…

The following 2 users liked this post by tjb.tky:
PathfinderGTS (02-02-2023), z168 (02-02-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 08:48 AM
tjb.tky
AutoX

Here’s a quick video (only 6 seconds due to the forums file size limit)
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0913.MOV (15.24 MB, 15 views)
Old 02-02-2023, 12:04 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 95 Posts

Yes, you want to fill in as much of the channel as you can with the rubber strips to reduce wind noise
The following 2 users liked this post by arter:
detansinn (02-02-2023), tjb.tky (02-03-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 12:56 PM
PathfinderGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tjb.tky
Thanks all,

I added an Inno t-bolt ski/snowboard rack that I bought on Amazon for about $110. The Inno t-bolts fit the Porsche RTS well and had no issues with fitment. Also Inno has their brand attached with stickers, but you can peel the stickers off easily for more of a stock look.

Regarding the rubber wind diffuser strips that come with Porsche RTS, I had them on the roof rack when nothing was installed on top, but is the idea to cut the rubber wind diffusers to fit around any t-bolt attachments that you add on the roof rack?

I was thinking to wait until the Porsche roof box arrives (assuming the length between the t-bolts are different from Inno’s ski rack) — but I am noticing a lot of wind noise/whistling with no rubber seal strips on the RTS…

I always love seeing 911s with roof transport systems installed, it makes me happy to see the exact opposite of garage queens: cars that are being used as much as possible, rather than being buried in a garage. That's awesome. Kudos, OP.
The following users liked this post:
tjb.tky (02-03-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 04:38 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 377 Likes on 201 Posts

Great license plate!!
The following users liked this post:
tjb.tky (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 10:19 AM
tjb.tky
AutoX

Originally Posted by anythingbuttime
Great license plate!!

haha yes I chose 991 when I purchased the car (I didn’t want 911, as it would say 911 all over the car)

looking back at it, most people that don’t know Porsches assume I couldn’t get a 911 license number so I had to go with 991 😂

Quick Reply: Roof Transport System - Non Porsche Accessory Compatibility