Sponsored by:

Shift RPM for manual 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 12:39 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
surely if that were the case then the maximum efficiency would be WOT with a CVT keeping the RPMs just above idle, right?
Essentially yes, though full-power enrichment doesn't help efficiency. So more like 80% load is probably best in the real world. But as you surely notice, most CVTs and automatics run in the 1000-15000 rpm range in normal driving. There are limitation due to the limited range of ratios available in both automatics and CVTs that prevent lower rpm operation.

There are certainly plenty of 991 drivers on this forum who have complained about the high gears and lows revs selected by their PDK transmissions in normal mode. Porsche engineers didn't select such shift schedules to annoy their customers or damages our engines. They did so in search of efficiency.

Keep in mind that the speed load point where an engine makes the most power or torque has little to do with the speed/load point where it produces the best specific fuel consumption, that is power/fuel flow.
Old 01-31-2023, 02:33 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

992 C2s Driver here.
I've always driven manuals: VW, BMW, Porsche, Toyota, Subaru, MINI.
Shifting RPM will always vary depending on traffic, road conditions, what type of driving, etc. That's one of the things that makes MT more engaging: you're always looking ahead and using your brain. There is no one, best, shift Rpm.
The tenor of the question suggests that OP doesn't have experience driving manuals.
I've always preferred manuals, even in city traffic, because I like being able to balance out right foot and left foot rather than just using the right foot.
The only time I don't like a manual is when I'm in L.A. traffic (no more!) creeping uphill. If you wait for traffic ahead to give you a little distance, impatient drivers behind will honk (as if they will get to their destination faster).
992 is NOT sluggish at low rpm. There's enough torque at 2,000 rpm to break the rear tires loose with a heavy foot.
992, and 991, as far as I know, has hill holder. Clutch in, foot on brake, in gear, on 5% or greater incline, car will hold and not roll back as clutch is released. This is not just to prevent wear on the clutch, but also to prevent rolling into someone. I got "front-ended" once by an old guy in an Oldsmobile who didn't realize he was rolling backwards on the incline into me before the light changed.
The Porsche shifter, like all nowadays, is cable-operated. It's as good as any as I've ever owned even though it doesn't have the magnetic slick-slick feel that the BMW shifter had, but almost as good. Not much difference, really. At one time, I owned a BMW 325, a VW Eurovan, and a Porsche 911 Carrera (1987), all MT. I thought the VW, which had rod linkage, actually had the best shifter, but they were all good. The air-cooled Porsche's had long, but solid throws. They required a firm hand and deliberate movements.
I don't use the rev-matching feature, but it does seem to match the revs; it's not just auto-blip.
I'd also add that you'll rarely see red line in this car on the street. It will break any speed limit in the country in second gear.

Last edited by garthg; 01-31-2023 at 02:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Shift RPM for manual 991.1