Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 01:05 PM
HardRider
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

External leak is not the main problem. It’s an internal leak sucking coolant into engine. Porsche revised water pump to not circulate when cold to warm engine faster. They do this with a vacuum modulated shield. If pump leaks internally then engine vacuum pulls coolant into engine. Get it replaced or have dealer sign letter the dealer and Porsche assume all responsibility for engine damage and premature wear. You will be leaving desire in loaner as they replace water pump
Old 01-22-2023, 03:08 PM
Hemsporsche911
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider
External leak is not the main problem. It’s an internal leak sucking coolant into engine. Porsche revised water pump to not circulate when cold to warm engine faster. They do this with a vacuum modulated shield. If pump leaks internally then engine vacuum pulls coolant into engine. Get it replaced or have dealer sign letter the dealer and Porsche assume all responsibility for engine damage and premature wear. You will be leaving desire in loaner as they replace water pump
I haven’t had any signs of significant coolant loss or consumption, so I don’t think there is an internal leak. Only signs of any issue is that dried up residue you see
Old 01-22-2023, 04:01 PM
HardRider
Racer

Great. It’s a known flaw. Get it replaced and be done with it. CPO you get loaner vehicle
Old 01-22-2023, 04:37 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider
External leak is not the main problem. It’s an internal leak sucking coolant into engine. Porsche revised water pump to not circulate when cold to warm engine faster. They do this with a vacuum modulated shield. If pump leaks internally then engine vacuum pulls coolant into engine.
Not having one of these .2 overly-complex vehicles, I am curious as to what is the fail-safe mode should the vacuum hose become disconnected or the vacuum valve relay becoming U/S. Lets hope the fail-safe mode is for normal "run" operation and not the short "warm-up" cycle.
Old 01-24-2023, 04:27 PM
Hemsporsche911
Instructor

I’ve just been told. "There is no active leak at this time; what the customer is seeing is residual coolant coming out of the weep hole at a temporary time of over-pressure, which is acceptable by Porsche specs."
Old 01-24-2023, 06:06 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

thats cool. just keep eagle eye on it,,,,pink residue,check coolant level as per specs...
Old 01-24-2023, 06:46 PM
HardRider
Racer

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Not having one of these .2 overly-complex vehicles, I am curious as to what is the fail-safe mode should the vacuum hose become disconnected or the vacuum valve relay becoming U/S. Lets hope the fail-safe mode is for normal "run" operation and not the short "warm-up" cycle.

Fails open so no vacuum and its like the old 991.1 pumps
Old 01-24-2023, 07:47 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemsporsche911
I’ve just been told. "There is no active leak at this time; what the customer is seeing is residual coolant coming out of the weep hole at a temporary time of over-pressure, which is acceptable by Porsche specs."
You would think the cap at the coolant reservoir would do that if the coolant system is over pressurized.
Old 02-16-2023, 03:14 PM
Hemsporsche911
Instructor

Quick update. Had a second dealer take a look at it for my peace of mind and they said the same thing, no active leak. Also, wiped off the residue and have checked over the last few weeks and i don't see any new build up. Got my fingers crossed on this one!
Old 06-27-2024, 12:16 PM
Hemsporsche911
Instructor

Another update. I had my car in for service at an Indy and he said there was definitely a coolant leak from the water pump. He had to add almost a full bottle to get it to max. Drove it for a while and indeed the coolant level did drop despite no signs of an external leak. Made an appointment with the dealer and they confirmed an internal leak and they will replace the pump and a few associated parts under warranty. Just thought I'd share for others who suspect a leak but don't see an obvious external leak.

Also they tested my original 7 year old battery and found it to be bad. I was quoted just over $1000 to replace it! Absolutely insane! I told them I will DIY that one.

Quick Reply: Water pump leak?