Sponsored by:

991.2 replaced OEM Bose amp no sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 01:39 AM
Miso_team
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 991.2 replaced OEM Bose amp no sound

Hi I hope someone can point me in the right direction. The original amp got wet and corded. I got an used amp from eBay from an 2016 Audi A6 (claim is tested working, also opened them both and circuitry looks exactly the same). Plugging it in, can read power with voltmeter and i can see light on the optical cable shining, PMC thinks audio is working yet no sound.

Spent many hours reading around here, and there are mentions of needing to "code" the amp whenever replacing.

Is this something I can do (unrelated article about PMC4 hacking with USB to Ethernet cable and Linux laptop), if not can a 3rd party do it, or i just have to get it to dealer ?

Thanks in advance !!

Last edited by Miso_team; 12-10-2022 at 01:45 AM.
Old 12-10-2022, 02:16 AM
gskv
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

i wouldn't know for compatibility. but why go for an Audi specific amp? maybe try a porsche amp? :S
Old 12-10-2022, 02:38 AM
Miso_team
AutoX

Originally Posted by gskv
i wouldn't know for compatibility. but why go for an Audi specific amp? maybe try a porsche amp? :S
Thanks this is a common part in VW/Audi Porsche 4G5 035 223, so thought it would just work but i suspect now there is software component to it to recognize the new amp or instruct it how to behave..
Old 12-10-2022, 07:37 AM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 212 Posts

Ask Musicar in Oregon. Great guy up there - thread on Rennlist for information. I can see how the amp could get wet based on where it’s installed. Double check all your wiring. Picture of mine below. These units are programmed but I thought that was more for tuning.

Old 12-10-2022, 11:21 AM
Miso_team
AutoX

Originally Posted by vanlieremead
Ask Musicar in Oregon. Great guy up there - thread on Rennlist for information. I can see how the amp could get wet based on where it’s installed. Double check all your wiring. Picture of mine below. These units are programmed but I thought that was more for tuning.

Thanks. I just realized that I misspelled PCM.
For 991.2 it sits under passenger seat and this is a convertible.
i will keep checking wires, still a nagging feeling it is software, based on few mentions scattered in PCM and upgrading amp threads..

Last edited by Miso_team; 12-10-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2022, 03:59 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Miso_team
Thanks. I just realized that I misspelled PCM.
For 991.2 it sits under passenger seat and this is a convertible.
i will keep checking wires, still a nagging feeling it is software, based on few mentions scattered in PCM and upgrading amp threads..
Mine's in the exact same location. I also have a Cab as you can see. Did it work before the water issue and then stopped? Do you have power to it today?
Old 12-10-2022, 04:06 PM
Miso_team
AutoX

Originally Posted by vanlieremead
Mine's in the exact same location. I also have a Cab as you can see. Did it work before the water issue and then stopped? Do you have power to it today?
It worked before water issue, i opened the old amp up and completely corroded. I am now de-pinning the connector and soaking in salt in vinegar. The power pin(it is getting power) is the most corroded, will try this and give it another

go.
Old 12-10-2022, 04:22 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

It worked before water issue, i opened the old amp up and completely corroded. I am now de-pinning the connector and soaking in salt in vinegar. The power pin(it is getting power) is the most corroded, will try this and give it another
go.
Give Musical in Oregon a call. He knows these systems inside and out. I wonder if there is a fuse blown somewhere. I found this info. Might be useful - no guarantees right? It's the internet. https://fuse-box.info/porsche/porsch...017-2018-fuses
Old 12-12-2022, 09:44 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 686 Likes on 208 Posts

Audi and Porsche are on different MOST150 optical protocols.

Even though it's the same hardware, it won't communicate with the PCM in the same fashion. It might even be pinned differently and set up for different impedance speakers. I would highly recommend trying a PORSCHE specific version. You could try having someone "code" or initialize the amplifier, but I doubt any dealer would want to accept the liability.

You could also upgrade to a Musicar Stage Two system like @vanlieremead has, but that's a much different investment range, too.
Old 12-13-2022, 09:58 PM
Miso_team
AutoX

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Audi and Porsche are on different MOST150 optical protocols.

Even though it's the same hardware, it won't communicate with the PCM in the same fashion. It might even be pinned differently and set up for different impedance speakers. I would highly recommend trying a PORSCHE specific version. You could try having someone "code" or initialize the amplifier, but I doubt any dealer would want to accept the liability.

You could also upgrade to a Musicar Stage Two system like @vanlieremead has, but that's a much different investment range, too.
Thanks! Interesting thing is that the part number is Audi part# with Audi stickers on the Porsche amp picture attached.
At any rate went to local audio car shop and they confirmed only dealer can flash the amp on replacement..

Last edited by Miso_team; 12-13-2022 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-13-2022, 10:20 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks! Interesting thing is that the part number is Audi part# with Audi stickers on the Porsche amp picture attached.
At any rate went to local audio car shop and they confirmed only dealer can flash the amp on replacement..
I believe you can handle the coding with MIB2 Tool Box, but I have no experience with that. I know that @vartech has been using this to retrofit a PCM4 in a 981 with Bose recently. You might send him a PM to see if he can offer you any guidance or help with this particular situation.
Old 02-05-2023, 01:23 AM
Miso_team
AutoX

Default Conclusion

So after many hours of reading and even thinking of soldering (reballing), Jtag/Linux hacking old amp components to the replacement one the solution is to just go to the Dealer, they charged me 1hr shop time to reprogram and remove CP, and it was done the same morning. Car sounds amazing and yes this Bose amp is common to many Audi/Porsche models.
The following users liked this post:
12v Nick (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 01:53 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

So after many hours of reading and even thinking of soldering (reballing), Jtag/Linux hacking old amp components to the replacement one the solution is to just go to the Dealer, they charged me 1hr shop time to reprogram and remove CP, and it was done the same morning. Car sounds amazing and yes this Bose amp is common to many Audi/Porsche models.
Glad you finally got it working! Thanks for following up with the conclusion — good to know they're compatible with coding.
Old 08-19-2023, 02:26 PM
718_Sapphire
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Audi Amp did you use?

I know it is a few months back but I have the same problem right now in my 718 Boxster, since water did enter at the passenger side foot well

What was the number of the Audi amp you used? Mine is identical to your old broken one but I see a lot of amps with slightly different numbers like a missing/different letter at the end:

Can I use another part number or do they have to be identical?

and what do you mean by “remove and reprogram CP”?

Last edited by 718_Sapphire; 08-19-2023 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Missed a part of question
Old 08-19-2023, 03:16 PM
Miso_team
AutoX

Originally Posted by 718_Sapphire
I know it is a few months back but I have the same problem right now in my 718 Boxster, since water did enter at the passenger side foot well

What was the number of the Audi amp you used? Mine is identical to your old broken one but I see a lot of amps with slightly different numbers like a missing/different letter at the end:

Can I use another part number or do they have to be identical?

and what do you mean by “remove and reprogram CP”?
CP= component protection so bunch of electronics have the VIN number of the car coded to them, this is a theft deterrent, and only Porsche with PIWIS connected to mothership in Germany can reprogram a replacement part.

The only thing I found from research is that last letter can vary which is just the revision of the amp, but I think anything post 2012 would fit. So I the one I used for replacement was one letter alphabetically lower..

​​​​​​

Quick Reply: 991.2 replaced OEM Bose amp no sound