Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new-to-me 991.1 was stolen shortly after I bought it. Ideas to track it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 06:59 AM
Todd Gaine
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

That really sucks. AFAIK, privacy/data protection doesn't apply in criminal investigations. Since when does a car thief's right to privacy outweigh your right to justice?
The police should be able to get a court order for the CCTV footage.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:47 AM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 587 Likes on 299 Posts

There is another key involved. If you have something from Porsche stating that the car requires a pre programmed key only to open the car + you already have proof from the dealer that the previous owner only handed in one ....that seems like more than enough probable cause to have the police look into or contact/question the previous owner. Right? At least here in the States it is.
The following users liked this post:
PathfinderGTS (02-07-2023)
Old 12-09-2022, 09:55 AM
Todd Gaine
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

I take it the car was not purchased from Porsche? If Porsche purchased a car to be sold on, I would like to think they would reprogram the car and key so the 'missing' key didn't work. I lost a Merc car key at a mall and took the car to Merc (using my spare) and they reprogrammed the car and spare key in this way.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:16 AM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd Gaine
That really sucks. AFAIK, privacy/data protection doesn't apply in criminal investigations. Since when does a car thief's right to privacy outweigh your right to justice?
The police should be able to get a court order for the CCTV footage.
it has to do with the camera owners privacy, meaning you can't just demand any footage the camera owner has. you can ask to see it but have no "right" to see it unless you get a court order. thinking the OP could go out on his own and look for cameras then request footage from any he deems possibly useful. can't see many people refusing this request but then now-a-days....you never know?

since the garage doesn't have a camera, i highly doubt any footage away from the garage would be very useful. a good garage shot could have shown the perp in full view. unless you really luck out and get a decipherable shot of the driver *and* manage to recognize/identify him, all you'll have is a nice 911 zipping by rather quickly i assume.

it sounds like the OP is screwed here. very sorry to say but without tracking and valid insurance, finding out how and who stole the car seems moot. it's probably chopped up by now so recovery seems very unlikely imho sorry about your bad luck Nitro
Freddie Two Bs (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 10:56 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 633 Likes on 367 Posts

regarding the insurance: it's not necessarily about backdating the policy, it's that your policy should cover you and your life activities, like driving your friend's car or buying a new car. there shouldn't be gaps like this and if there truly are gaps there should be special gap insurance for the purpose.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:03 AM
rsyed
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

guys, please remember we are talking about Germany. Giving insurance advice based on the US does not really help the dude. Matter of fact, he is looking for advice on how to track the car and not how to deal with the insurance.

@Nitro8472 als ich vor paar Wochen selber nach einem weissen 991 gesucht habe habe ich dein Auto inseriert gesehen... Weiss aussen, kompletter Aerokit und rot innen.. So viele von den Autos gabs ja zu dem Zeitpunkt nicht am Markt. Es tut mir für dich leid - weiss selber wie es ist wenn ein Auto gestohlen wird. Ein sch**** Gefühl.. Sorry!!
Freddie Two Bs (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 11:28 AM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 587 Likes on 299 Posts

I know this is not tracking talk, but some insurance info that may or may not apply....

Did you trade anything when you purchased the 911? Here in the states when you trade a fully covered/insured car, your new car is automatically covered for up to 30days, per your insurance company. That's standard practice here, that no one tells you. This helped us dealers for when someone purchased a new car over the weekend, some insurance companies are closed. Germany is likely different, but worth looking into.

Start checking your eBay and Facebook marketplace listings for any parts that may or may not have come from your car. You never know!

Edit:

I found this online. It may be worth looking into: https://digitpol.com/stolen-vehicle-...ce-in-germany/

Last edited by RP4S911; 12-09-2022 at 11:31 AM.
Nitro8472 (12-10-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 01:32 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by RP4S911
Here in the states when you trade a fully covered/insured car, your new car is automatically covered for up to 30days
not true for all insurance companies. yes, most of the big/reputable players offer this if you trade in a covered car but many/most sub-prime insurance companies don't. there is no federal law/mandate that requires insurance companies to offer such coverage. some states might have rules saying it must be offered but i'm not aware of any?. as always, check out the fine print on your policy. if it doesn't specify such coverage, you don't have it. for those who do offer it, the timeframe can vary from your stated 30 days too just the next business day. the devil is always in the details (fine print)
Old 12-10-2022, 11:12 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 900 Likes on 469 Posts

I was not aware of any type carryover policy for a new car purchase. What happened to the OP is truly regrettable. When I purchased my last three cars, I sat in the driveway of the dealership and called my insurance company with the VIN of the new car, so I was sure it was covered before even one wheel hit the street.
Old 12-10-2022, 11:24 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,243 Likes on 753 Posts

In NY you have to have proof of insurance before dealership allows you to drive it off the lot.
Old 12-10-2022, 11:26 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 296 Posts

Every locale has different rules.

I was not allowed to take possession until I showed I had insurance, and the dealership called to confirm. This applied to nee and used cars from a dealership. A private sale you are on your own, but for me is a quick email with the VIN and a phone call less than 5 min to get a private used car added.

I suspect for the OP that the 2nd key was used to just take the car.

Old 12-10-2022, 12:41 PM
Nitro8472
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RP4S911
I know this is not tracking talk, but some insurance info that may or may not apply....

Did you trade anything when you purchased the 911? Here in the states when you trade a fully covered/insured car, your new car is automatically covered for up to 30days, per your insurance company. That's standard practice here, that no one tells you. This helped us dealers for when someone purchased a new car over the weekend, some insurance companies are closed. Germany is likely different, but worth looking into.

Start checking your eBay and Facebook marketplace listings for any parts that may or may not have come from your car. You never know!

Edit:

I found this online. It may be worth looking into: https://digitpol.com/stolen-vehicle-...ce-in-germany/
Thank you. I added the car there as well

Regarding insurance, here in Germany when you buy a car, you can have what's called "short term license plate", these have only basic insurance for 3 or 5 days until you can register the car to your name. The car was stolen with these plates, it wasn't even registered to me yet.
Old 12-10-2022, 12:42 PM
Nitro8472
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsyed
guys, please remember we are talking about Germany. Giving insurance advice based on the US does not really help the dude. Matter of fact, he is looking for advice on how to track the car and not how to deal with the insurance.

@Nitro8472 als ich vor paar Wochen selber nach einem weissen 991 gesucht habe habe ich dein Auto inseriert gesehen... Weiss aussen, kompletter Aerokit und rot innen.. So viele von den Autos gabs ja zu dem Zeitpunkt nicht am Markt. Es tut mir für dich leid - weiss selber wie es ist wenn ein Auto gestohlen wird. Ein sch**** Gefühl.. Sorry!!
Ja genau, das war es. Und wirklich ist es sch****. Danke dir
Old 12-11-2022, 09:52 AM
RennListUser01
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 102 Posts

It sounds like a scam.

Only one key - the other one needed to drive car away.

No video in garage - did you pick the garage or did the seller?

German law enforcement, in the presence of a crime, usually have access to video from public and even private cameras pointing toward the street. Not sure this part makes sense.
Old 12-11-2022, 10:18 AM
TEXIGO
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 263 Posts

Yikes! Good luck getting it back.

Quick Reply: My new-to-me 991.1 was stolen shortly after I bought it. Ideas to track it?