Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?? Quick Jack advertisement from Pelican Parts shows incorrect orientation??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 10:29 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmiejam
Quickjack is not unstable depending which way the car is facing. In fact, it does not matter which way you have your car on the lift, as long as the designated outside of the lifts are facing out, and not towards the inside of your car. I confirmed this with them via telephone. As an added safety precaution, you can use standard jack stands under the front and back of the lifts, been using a 7000 for years without issue.
If the CG gets outside (behind) the jack base section, it might just matter.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:39 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
Sometimes a quick drawing gets the point across. This is the case here. Just install the QJ as recommended with the locks on the outside of each lift.
Originally Posted by thesaintusa
Even with the locks on the outside can you still not orient the lifts the 'wrong direction'?

@JimEb Love your 911 prototype drawing The long hood evokes memories of the SLR McLaren with 14 inch wheels.

When I get a QL I will lift the car as indicated in the lower diagram just to feel like it is safer.
OK. Seems like some need to have further clarification. Hydraulic cables towards the trunk and locks on the outside.
The following users liked this post:
thesaintusa (12-10-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 12:24 AM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
OK. Seems like some need to have further clarification. Hydraulic cables towards the trunk and locks on the outside.

I’m re-posting my picture from the other thread.
The picture is using the orientation from the QJ advertisement and PelicanParts photos and is the WRONG orientation.

You’d want the jacks reversed:
1. Hydraulic hoses pointing towards the front of the car
2. the jack locks should still be on the outside

Hope this helps.

—shyam
Old 12-10-2022, 05:04 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Um, if this actually matters. that thing isn't coming within a mile of my garage.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:29 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,200 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Um, if this actually matters. that thing isn't coming within a mile of my garage.
With most mechanical equipment, using it correctly matters. If a regular car jack is used incorrectly, it matters.

I used QJ for years with no issues. Solid as a rock. I have the locks oriented on the outside, hoses pointed toward front of car, and the yellow labels positioned towards the rear wheels.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
AKKutz (12-10-2022), Redsled83 (12-11-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 07:29 AM
AKKutz
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
With most mechanical equipment, using it correctly matters. If a regular car jack is used incorrectly, it matters.

I used QJ for years with no issues. Solid as a rock. I have the locks oriented on the outside, hoses pointed toward front of car, and the yellow labels positioned towards the rear wheels.
I have as well. Even had fronts off, rears on and no instability. I have the 5000XL
Old 12-10-2022, 04:13 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts

If this matters, then there's not enough safety margin in the design. A Porsche is not exactly a heavy vehicle.
Old 12-10-2022, 05:43 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If this matters, then there's not enough safety margin in the design. A Porsche is not exactly a heavy vehicle.
Some will find a way to not install or use a piece of equipment properly. Everyone needs to decide for themselves if what they are buying is within their skill set. Seems like some have decided to stay away maybe to protect themselves from their own self.
Old 12-10-2022, 05:58 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,200 Likes on 723 Posts

I wonder if you consider a two-post lifts within your safety margin. Many mechanics garages have them, including some dealerships, I am sure. If not used properly, anything can happen.

Old 12-10-2022, 07:27 PM
RennListUser01
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

Noah ... not sure this is a engineering margin issue, simply a "which way does it go?" issue.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:13 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

It's too easy a mistake to make, IMO. I would think carefully about weight balance when removing wheels, so wouldn't fall victim to some of these lift mishaps, but I could easily see myself not paying attention to the orientation of the QuickJacks. Just like the Pelican Parts people did. If they can get it wrong, so can I, and so can others.

You don't need a 26-post thread to argue about the correct application of something that was engineered properly.

Last edited by Noah Fect; 12-10-2022 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:59 PM
RennListUser01
Pro

Why not?
Old 12-10-2022, 10:06 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It's too easy a mistake to make, IMO. I would think carefully about weight balance when removing wheels, so wouldn't fall victim to some of these lift mishaps, but I could easily see myself not paying attention to the orientation of the QuickJacks. Just like the Pelican Parts people did. If they can get it wrong, so can I, and so can others.

You don't need a 26-post thread to argue about the correct application of something that was engineered properly.
Noah, clearly this lift is not for you. And that’s OK. You know your limits and have decided that it won’t work for you from a safety standpoint because you would not be able to remember which side points forward. (Again, hoses at front). No need to bash it though. I have had my 911 on it a dozen times with wheels on and off. There is no stability issue. Best to you!
The following users liked this post:
T3X4S (12-10-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 10:33 PM
RennListUser01
Pro

Noah,

I'm thinking you don't fly in airplanes, right?

They are really unsafe ... gravity has zero margin ...
Old 12-12-2022, 06:24 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a QJ and have used it a few times without incident to change the wheels on my 911. I fortunately had the hoses toward the front just because that's where the power is for the hydraulic motor. It's very convenient to use. If anyone has any concerns, they can be solved by simply putting a floor jack or jack stand underneath the rear cross member as an added level of security in case it starts to tip back. But I've never had any scares before.

Quick Reply: ?? Quick Jack advertisement from Pelican Parts shows incorrect orientation??