Sponsored by:

Purchasing a "high" mileage 2017 C2

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 04:32 AM
spy890
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing a "high" mileage 2017 C2

Hey everyone, long time lurker here. I've been in the market for a 991.2 or 992 for a long time and I think I'm about to finally pull the trigger on a 991.2.

It's a 2017 base coupe C2 and has 40k-ish miles. The current owner did all of his own maintenance for the past two years including the 40k mile milestone (I am pretty sure, going to verify). It looks like everything before that was done by dealerships by the previous owners based on the Carfax. It has a clean Carfax, no accidents or anything. Of course I'm also going to get a PPI beforehand.

My plan is to daily the car, which means everyday bringing kids to school, driving to work, but then also taking it out on the weekends for some fun. So I estimate I'd be putting around 12-15k miles on it a year.

My question: does any of this stand out as a bad idea? Is 40k "high"? I am not very mechanically inclined and I would definitely have to take the car in for repairs were anything major to happen. Given it's a 2017, the warranty is definitely expired.

Thanks for your input.

Also, does anyone know where I can find the official maintenance schedule for the 991.2? My Google skills just return forum discussions and random dealerships with their suggestions. I'm assuming there is an official Porsche factory schedule somewhere.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:33 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Imo that’s not high mileage considering what you will be using the car for (putting more miles on it). Better to get a car that’s been driven to ensure there are no bugs that need working out.

I am not sure if this has what you are looking for but check it out:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ib-...H7RjTpQ6Q/view
The following 2 users liked this post by polobai:
Laszlo_Laz (11-24-2022), spy890 (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 09:40 AM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Received 571 Likes on 197 Posts

40K on a 2017 might be high compared to other 911s, but it certainly isn’t high compared to cars that get more regular use. Given your use case, I think buying a higher mileage example makes a ton of sense. 991.2s are very stout cars, once the water pump has been replaced, that is (check that this was done - many 2017s had this issue).

Recommended service intervals vary by country which is silly. I adhere to the Pcar Wise recommendations here.

Maintaing a 911 can be expensive if you’re racking up the miles. Oil changes at the dealer usually cost around $300. Look for a good independent shop near you and consider sourcing your own parts and fluids.

Last edited by Zylinderkopfdichtung; 11-24-2022 at 09:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
spy890 (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 09:41 AM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

mine has 42K, i dont consider it high mileage...car runs perfect and is overly maintained
spy890 (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 11:13 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 352 Posts

40K miles is high for a collector car, but nothing in terms of the car itself. In Europe these cars are driven and many if not most are daily drivers year around. If you go and search any international used car sites, you will see many 991.2 Porsches that have miles way above what we see here and up to 100k miles +. If maintenance is done on schedule and good care has been taken of the interior and cosmetics, there is absolutely no reason to worry about a few more miles than typically seen here in US on sports cars.
The following 4 users liked this post by shammerman:
Freddie Two Bs (11-24-2022), maschinetheist (11-25-2022), SConn (11-24-2022), spy890 (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 11:29 AM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Received 333 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by spy890
Hey everyone, long time lurker here. I've been in the market for a 991.2 or 992 for a long time and I think I'm about to finally pull the trigger on a 991.2.

It's a 2017 base coupe C2 and has 40k-ish miles. The current owner did all of his own maintenance for the past two years including the 40k mile milestone (I am pretty sure, going to verify). It looks like everything before that was done by dealerships by the previous owners based on the Carfax. It has a clean Carfax, no accidents or anything. Of course I'm also going to get a PPI beforehand.

My plan is to daily the car, which means everyday bringing kids to school, driving to work, but then also taking it out on the weekends for some fun. So I estimate I'd be putting around 12-15k miles on it a year.

My question: does any of this stand out as a bad idea? Is 40k "high"? I am not very mechanically inclined and I would definitely have to take the car in for repairs were anything major to happen. Given it's a 2017, the warranty is definitely expired.

Thanks for your input.

Also, does anyone know where I can find the official maintenance schedule for the 991.2? My Google skills just return forum discussions and random dealerships with their suggestions. I'm assuming there is an official Porsche factory schedule somewhere.
Some folks here who worry about high mileage are more concerned about resale value versus reliability. Forty-thousand miles is nothing to be concerned about as long as all the interval maintenance has been done. It sounds like the perfect car for you since you plan on using at a daily driver. If the car is clean and checks the boxes go for it. The 991.2 is an extraordinary car and you’ll absolutely love the experience. As for the warranty get a Fidelity 3rd part warranty for a peace of mind. These cars are actually quite reliable but all cars break at some point and it can be expensive nonetheless. They’re not made of glass and I wouldn’t lose sleep over it, no rules that you need to be mechanically inclined to own one. Good luck on your journey.

Last edited by Laszlo_Laz; 11-24-2022 at 11:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Laszlo_Laz:
pkalhan (11-24-2022), spy890 (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 11:33 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist!

I had 67k on my 2017 when I sold it. Drove the hell out of it. Other than some worrying noises from time to time, it was a pretty solid car.

As with any other car, regular maintenance goes a long way. It's a high strung engine so don't expect like 300k+ out of it with just oil changes, but you'll get a lot of worry-free miles regardless.

40k is right around that point where a lot of people start getting scared, usually for no good reason.

If it checks the boxes and you can afford the TCO, go for it.
spy890 (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 11:35 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 511 Posts

Doesn't seem unreasonable to consider this car for purchase given it's history and your intended use. The biggest services that would have been needed would include spark plugs and engine air filter. Drive belt would be next if car has already reached 6 years in service, so be prepared for that one as it's not one of the cheap tasks. Other than that, if it's a manual transmission, it would be worthwhile to get a DME (over rev) report just to be sure this car wasn't excessively abused. An overall PPI would be nice. You could get both a PPI and DME report done at a Porsche dealer for a few hundred bucks which IMHO wouldn't be a bad investment especially since you plant to keep the car and use it daily.
spy890 (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 12:10 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

You have been given very solid advice. How is the exterior of the car? That often correlates with how well it has been maintained. Documents are key for service confirmation. I wouldn’t take anyone’s word that service was done without documentation. Do you know the seller or where the car was serviced?
spy890 (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 12:24 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

i got my 13 C2S 2.5 years ago with similar miles (37k) and intent (dd except when there's low temps and/or snow on the roads). 24k miles later, it's running perfectly and i'm still driving the hell out of it. at 60k now with zero worries.

agree with other comments regarding maintenance. gotta do it. luckily i found a good/somewhat local indy to take care of everything at a reasonable price. do NOT use a dealer unless you have no other choice.
spy890 (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 02:44 PM
spy890
4th Gear

Thanks everyone for your advice and input, I greatly appreciate it. Also thanks for being so welcoming. This is my first post and everyone is so helpful. I hope to contribute to become part of the community and contribute in the future!

Regarding a few questions you guys posed:
  • I'll check if the water pump has been replaced, but I didn't see it on the Carfax history.
  • The current owner replaced the spark plugs and engine air filter according to his logs.
  • The current owner replaced the drive belt this year as well.
  • Since the current owner does his own maintenance, how can I request documentation that I can trust? Anyone can just open Excel or a maintenance log app and fill it with whatever info they want. Should I just take this type of proof at face value and then hope the PPI can catch anything if they are lying?
  • Given that this is the 3rd owner I am buying it from, and Carfax does list the maintenance done from previous owners, how can I get actual service records? Should I just call around to the Porsche dealerships listed on the Carfax?
  • Fidelity warranty sounds like a great idea, I will definitely look into this.
  • The exterior, from the pictures I've been sent, looks great. I don't see any issues, and it actually has front dyno PPF. The impression I get from the current owner is that he is definitely an enthusiast and takes care of his cars, but you never know.
Old 11-24-2022, 04:14 PM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Received 571 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by spy890
  • Since the current owner does his own maintenance, how can I request documentation that I can trust? Anyone can just open Excel or a maintenance log app and fill it with whatever info they want. Should I just take this type of proof at face value and then hope the PPI can catch anything if they are lying?
Ask for receipts for parts. I agree with the above on getting a DME report if it’s a manual. A Porsche dealer or Porsche/European focused independent should be able to do that relatively cheaply.

Last edited by Zylinderkopfdichtung; 11-24-2022 at 04:16 PM.
spy890 (11-25-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 10:11 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 665 Posts

Any chance you can find out the nature of the miles? I have put a bit more than 30k miles on my 2017, since new in March of 2017. Most of those miles have come during long trips on the open road, and the rest from local fun drives. None have come from DDing in stop-and-go, or from track days.

Last edited by bkrantz; 11-24-2022 at 10:13 PM.
spy890 (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 09:48 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default If it were me

I would start looking at ones over 60k miles as that level of depreciation is higher. For a daily the base model would be best and with a tune can comfortable make 425hp. Plan on the vehicle taking another 20 to 40% hit when it gets to 100k miles. 50k is a reasonable target price and certainly attainable by Feb. Find a one owner dealer maintained (money is no object) and then find a good indy to work on it. Dont forget a ppi with paint meter reading. I prefer purchasing from individuals versus a dealer if possible as there are a lot of crooks.

Last edited by Bud Taylor; 11-25-2022 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:09 AM
spy890
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
I would start looking at ones over 60k miles as that level of depreciation is higher. For a daily the base model would be best and with a tune can comfortable make 425hp. Plan on the vehicle taking another 20 to 40% hit when it gets to 100k miles. 50k is a reasonable target price and certainly attainable by Feb. Find a one owner dealer maintained (money is no object) and then find a good indy to work on it. Dont forget a ppi with paint meter reading. I prefer purchasing from individuals versus a dealer if possible as there are a lot of crooks.
All good advice and things that have crossed my mind myself.

Are you saying you think a 991.2 base with 60k miles will sell for $50k by February?

Quick Reply: Purchasing a "high" mileage 2017 C2