Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2022 | 02:29 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by pkalhan
Black?
Tell me which sex I am. Both are my cars 😁

****And also....How DARE you assume my gender! 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited by SConn; 11-25-2022 at 02:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pkalhan (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022 | 02:31 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by temporarytrapdoor
The Frozen Berry on his 718 looks wonderful. I'd love to have my C4S in that color, my daughter would love it, purple is her favorite.

Colorful cars are cheery and delightful. I feel like we all could use more of that in our lives.
Totally agree. His FBM Spyder looks great! And is extra special with the upgrades he did to it.

But, even Farrah admits it's mostly considered a feminine color. Thinks it's funny that "a guy like him is driving a car like this."
Old 11-25-2022 | 03:15 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SConn
Tell me which sex I am. Both are my cars 😁

****And also....How DARE you assume my gender! 🤣🤣🤣

Having both a white and black Porsche can only mean you are non - binary.
SConn (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022 | 04:15 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Having both a white and black Porsche can only mean you are non - binary.
Hahahhhaha!!!
Old 11-25-2022 | 05:48 PM
maschinetheist
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911dude41
White is the fastest color
totally flies under the radar
Old 11-26-2022 | 09:16 AM
Thor's
Racer

Originally Posted by woodranch
Hi, I have a great chance to pull the trigger on a 2019 GTS 911 in white. However, I am 60years old and never had a white car….I always thought it was more of a woman’s color. I am not a male chauvinist at all, however, whenever I see I white Porsche drive by, I think a woman will be driving it. Please , if any of the forum members that have a white Porsche, any type, will be kind enough to share your thoughts on a white color. Either positive or negative, I would love to hear peoples views. I understand, everyone is different, but I am on the border if white is a feminine color( as is my daughter thinks it is) Thank you very much in advance for you input!
Color choice is a personal preference and your mileage will vary. Some people love white cars, others state they’d never own one. In regard to white being a “woman’s color,” I personally don’t care if it’s true of not, provided I like the color. Why would you care what other people think as long as you liked it? In regard to white on a car, it stays cooler in the hot summer sun, doesn’t show blemishes as easily as a darker color, and is easier to touchup paint chips. Put your hand on the hood of a black car on a hot sunny day and then do the same with a white car. You’ll understand the difference.

The only negative from my personal experience is that PPF will turn yellow over time and is highlighted on a white car. It will not be as apparent on a non-white car.

Last edited by Thor's; 11-26-2022 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-26-2022 | 09:51 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

"The only negative from my personal experience is that PPF will turn yellow over time and is highlighted on a white car."

I am not sure this is true anymore. I could be wrong, but I think there is no more yellowing of PPFfilm with the latest PPF technology. And to be clear (ha,ha), it is not the PPFfilm that yellows, it is the PPFadhesive that turns color. I am no expert, but this is how I understand it.

I will say that the outline of the PPF film can be seen easily on a white car once the dirt starts to get adhere to the PPF edges. Cleaning out the dirty edges is a job in itself.
Old 11-26-2022 | 09:59 AM
Thor's
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
"The only negative from my personal experience is that PPF will turn yellow over time and is highlighted on a white car."

I am not sure this is true anymore. I could be wrong, but I think there is no more yellowing of PPFfilm with the latest PPF technology. And to be clear (ha,ha), it is not the PPFfilm that yellows, it is the PPFadhesive that turns color. I am no expert, but this is how I understand it.

I will say that the outline of the PPF film can be seen easily on a white car once the dirt starts to get adhere to the PPF edges. Cleaning out the dirty edges is a job in itself.
Could very well be true with the newer material but on the rear fenders of my 2019, the film is turning yellow. I’m thinking I am going to go with the black film as your car at some point. I refrained from using PPF on the nose due to the yellowing.

Last edited by Thor's; 11-26-2022 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-26-2022 | 11:46 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Thor's
Could very well be true with the newer material but on the rear fenders of my 2019, the film is turning yellow. I’m thinking I am going to go with the black film as your car at some point. I refrained from using PPF on the nose due to the yellowing.
Thor - I have the Magnagrafiks, which apparently are not being sold anymore. But check out this thread with TX Targa's version of them. They look pretty sweet.

991 Magnetic Stone Guards - Page 13 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Old 11-26-2022 | 02:52 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

White is fastest

Can confirm white is the fastest colour. All the girly colourful GT’s go hide in the shed when this monster goes out on track. Here’s a shot blasting past a girly black mclaren.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4 Point 0:
SConn (11-27-2022), tomtully (09-12-2023)
Old 11-26-2022 | 03:28 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

I’ve never heard of white being considered a feminine color, and I’m not sure why that would be the case. As others have said - it’s personal. Get what you like.
I’ve owned white cars (just took delivery of one) and I agree that they are cooler in summer, easier to live with than dark colors, and far easier to touch up.

As for PPF, the biggest negative with white (that hasn’t been mentioned) is that any edge of PPF that is not wrapped and hidden can show a line of dirt that every car attracts. On white, the dirt is more visible as it accumulates along the edge of the PPF. If you get PPF and it can be wrapped in most areas, then this issue is minimized. But even the best PPF installations have some edges that are not wrapped. The dirty edge is easily cleaned when washing so it’s not a permanent issue.

One other potential negative is that if the film has an edge or corner that begins to lift (because there wasn’t enough adhesive in that area), then dirt can get under the film where it has lifted, and THAT can be hard to clean. The dirt will adhere to whatever adhesive was on the film, and cleaning in those spots is a challenge.

In 2011 I bought a white car (Lambo) from a dealer in FL, and had it wrapped with PPF before it shipped home. The dealer took care of subcontracting the PPF job (which in hindsight was a mistake on my part but I didn’t know better at the time). The PPF did yellow over time, and edges lifted (not the greatest installation) and we had it removed and redone. After that - no more yellowing or lifting of edges. But it would show dirt on edges not wrapped far more than a darker color.

It was a good lesson in that it’s better to have a local PPF installer who can rectify issues (we had no intention of shipping the car back to FL to deal with a less-than-ideal PPF job). Also I think PPF technology has made great strides since then and film today is far less likely to yellow. It may depend upon storage conditions but in general it doesn’t seem like film today yellows like it might a decade ago. I would never have film installed “remotely”, and I would not own a car that didn’t have a local authorized dealer for warranty work. We had it for 5 wonderful years and 20k miles and I learned a lot.

While white might not be my first choice when ordering - it depends on available colors. But having owned some white cars, they are easier to live with than I would have guessed and it’s not a color I connect with gender. I’m in your age bracket OP.

Old 11-26-2022 | 05:50 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Love white cars. I did not have a white car since my 88 911 but my wife bought a white Macan. Since then we added a white 911 and a white Lexus. I think white looks great clean or dirty...
Old 11-26-2022 | 09:01 PM
MagicalCanoe
Rennlist Member

I'm a man, so is the owner of the Taycan. However, white is definitely for females. We call each other puss!es all the time.

gc88 (11-27-2022)
Old 11-27-2022 | 07:41 AM
Thor's
Racer

Originally Posted by MagicalCanoe
I'm a man, so is the owner of the Taycan. However, white is definitely for females. We call each other puss!es all the time.

Old 11-27-2022 | 11:48 AM
Thor's
Racer

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
I’ve never heard of white being considered a feminine color, and I’m not sure why that would be the case. As others have said - it’s personal. Get what you like.
I’ve owned white cars (just took delivery of one) and I agree that they are cooler in summer, easier to live with than dark colors, and far easier to touch up.

As for PPF, the biggest negative with white (that hasn’t been mentioned) is that any edge of PPF that is not wrapped and hidden can show a line of dirt that every car attracts. On white, the dirt is more visible as it accumulates along the edge of the PPF. If you get PPF and it can be wrapped in most areas, then this issue is minimized. But even the best PPF installations have some edges that are not wrapped. The dirty edge is easily cleaned when washing so it’s not a permanent issue.

One other potential negative is that if the film has an edge or corner that begins to lift (because there wasn’t enough adhesive in that area), then dirt can get under the film where it has lifted, and THAT can be hard to clean. The dirt will adhere to whatever adhesive was on the film, and cleaning in those spots is a challenge.

In 2011 I bought a white car (Lambo) from a dealer in FL, and had it wrapped with PPF before it shipped home. The dealer took care of subcontracting the PPF job (which in hindsight was a mistake on my part but I didn’t know better at the time). The PPF did yellow over time, and edges lifted (not the greatest installation) and we had it removed and redone. After that - no more yellowing or lifting of edges. But it would show dirt on edges not wrapped far more than a darker color.

It was a good lesson in that it’s better to have a local PPF installer who can rectify issues (we had no intention of shipping the car back to FL to deal with a less-than-ideal PPF job). Also I think PPF technology has made great strides since then and film today is far less likely to yellow. It may depend upon storage conditions but in general it doesn’t seem like film today yellows like it might a decade ago. I would never have film installed “remotely”, and I would not own a car that didn’t have a local authorized dealer for warranty work. We had it for 5 wonderful years and 20k miles and I learned a lot.

While white might not be my first choice when ordering - it depends on available colors. But having owned some white cars, they are easier to live with than I would have guessed and it’s not a color I connect with gender. I’m in your age bracket OP.
When I bought my 911, it was quite a back and forth in regard to PPF or deal with the chips. Now that you mention it, yes the interface between the PPF and paint will show a line of dirt and is a major PITA to clean. Given my experience with the PPF on my white car, I think I’d rather deal with the paint chips with touchup paint since the vehicle gets recreational use. However, having said all that, if I was using the car as a daily, I’d get the PPF because I think the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Hmmm… I think we just hijacked this thread! 🤔 Sorry OP!

Quick Reply: White 911