Track Precision App - No Sport Chrono - Base 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 03:08 PM
hockey1623
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Precision App - No Sport Chrono - Base 991.2

Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before but I have a BASE 2017 991.2 without the Sport Chrono Package. Is there anyway/hack to get the Track Precision app to work with my car?

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2022, 07:05 PM
MaddGTS
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't address your specific question, but don't feel like you are missing something if you don't have it. The app is unreliable and often loses connection to the car while on the track, which you don't realize until you are done your session and see that data is missing.

The following users liked this post:
spyderbret (11-12-2022)
Old 11-12-2022, 11:37 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Absolutely agree. I try P’s app once every season or so as I really like the idea of it. But OMG is it infuriating in its absolute inability to function.

Harry’s Lap Timer doesn’t produce as pretty an overlay, but it actually works consistently for me. I have it paired with a good Bluetooth GPS and it works great for me as a lap timer with video for review.

Porsche’s app frequently doesn’t give me lap times or video.

Whatever effort you were thinking of putting into cobbling something together in order to use Porsche’s app… expend that energy on literally anything else.
Old 11-13-2022, 12:47 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,277 Posts

I believe racecapture and a gopro is the best bang/buck entry into race telemetry if that's what you're after. I've yet to see an OEM solution that I would describe as competent, porsche's included.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:10 AM
stellman
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
I believe racecapture and a gopro is the best bang/buck entry into race telemetry if that's what you're after. I've yet to see an OEM solution that I would describe as competent, porsche's included.
This combo is great, because RaceChrono is one of the only apps that reads the GPS signal from modern GoPros. You can just run your GoPro (with a good GPS view) and then import your sessions after the fact, so you don't have to have the phone in your car.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:14 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by stellman
This combo is great, because RaceChrono is one of the only apps that reads the GPS signal from modern GoPros. You can just run your GoPro (with a good GPS view) and then import your sessions after the fact, so you don't have to have the phone in your car.
oh hell yeah, didn't know about that.

all I know is you want a 10hz GPS or faster. the 50hz+ stuff is a little excessive for a weekend racer. then you obviously need something that will ingest that signal at that speed. this is where OEM systems fall flat -- porsche uses 1hz, which is utterly useless.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:16 AM
stellman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
oh hell yeah, didn't know about that.

all I know is you want a 10hz GPS or faster. the 50hz+ stuff is a little excessive for a weekend racer. then you obviously need something that will ingest that signal at that speed. this is where OEM systems fall flat -- porsche uses 1hz, which is utterly useless.
Yep, and modern GoPros (8+, but check for yourself) are all 10Hz.
Old 11-13-2022, 12:30 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Get a Garmin Catalyst, expensive but worth it.
Zylinderkopfdichtung (11-14-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 12:44 PM
stellman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Ox
Get a Garmin Catalyst, expensive but worth it.
While a nice system, it does not work (that I can discern) for Autocross, Hillclimb, etc. If you're only going to road courses that are in the database, it seems like a solid choice. I use RaceChrono with autocross and it works really well, I can review the run on my iPad (with Dual XGPS-160) that I stash in my glovebox in-between runs to see where I need to improve.
The Ox (11-13-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 02:08 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by stellman
While a nice system, it does not work (that I can discern) for Autocross, Hillclimb, etc. If you're only going to road courses that are in the database, it seems like a solid choice. I use RaceChrono with autocross and it works really well, I can review the run on my iPad (with Dual XGPS-160) that I stash in my glovebox in-between runs to see where I need to improve.
Good points.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:55 AM
Todd Gaine
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a different opinion. I used TrackAddict and Porsche Track Precision. I have never had a problem with the latter.

When connecting a 3rd party app via your OBDII, AFAIK it only shows engine data. TPA shows steering position, braking (only decelerometer in the 3rd party apps), traction control, etc.

Everyone has a cell phone, so putting it in a windshield mount and using TPA is by far the easiest solution compared to buying and setting up GoPro's and other gadgets - IMHO anyway.

But the OP doesn't have SC, so I guess he has to use a 3rd party solution, unless he finds a hack to enable SC on the PCM. I tried it on my previous 982 BS and never got it right. And as other poster have stated, a GPS with 10Hz output is necessary, as the phone GPS may be too slow at high speed.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:48 AM
stellman
Rennlist Member

If you want data like brake pressure, oil temp, etc, then the AIM Solo2 DL will be up your alley. Kinda pricey, but it's a very proven solution. It can be used for point-to-point races as well (AutoX, Hillclimb).
Old 11-14-2022, 12:18 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 126 Posts

If you want a cheap, accurate, dead simple solution, highly recommend checking out Dragy Motorsports. They added a new GPS track App recently and I’ve had nothing but good things to say about it. It won’t connect to your OBD, but it will record very precisely your lap times via GPS, along with speed, throttle/brake (based on g-force) and has a 10 HZ refresh rate.
Old 11-14-2022, 01:51 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
If you want a cheap, accurate, dead simple solution, highly recommend checking out Dragy Motorsports. They added a new GPS track App recently and I’ve had nothing but good things to say about it. It won’t connect to your OBD, but it will record very precisely your lap times via GPS, along with speed, throttle/brake (based on g-force) and has a 10 HZ refresh rate.
very cool. thx for the tip. i hadn't played with the Dragy in a while.
Old 11-15-2022, 02:55 AM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd Gaine
I have a different opinion. I used TrackAddict and Porsche Track Precision. I have never had a problem with the latter.

When connecting a 3rd party app via your OBDII, AFAIK it only shows engine data. TPA shows steering position, braking (only decelerometer in the 3rd party apps), traction control, etc.

Everyone has a cell phone, so putting it in a windshield mount and using TPA is by far the easiest solution compared to buying and setting up GoPro's and other gadgets - IMHO anyway.

But the OP doesn't have SC, so I guess he has to use a 3rd party solution, unless he finds a hack to enable SC on the PCM. I tried it on my previous 982 BS and never got it right. And as other poster have stated, a GPS with 10Hz output is necessary, as the phone GPS may be too slow at high speed.

Please tell me more! I use TrackAddict as well, but couldn’t get the TPA to work properly. So I thought maybe it only works in the GT cars. What procedure do you use to connect everything? I have a 991.2 4S with SC.

Quick Reply: Track Precision App - No Sport Chrono - Base 991.2