Sponsored by:

Track Precision App - No Sport Chrono - Base 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 08:15 AM
Todd Gaine
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed2k
Please tell me more! I use TrackAddict as well, but couldn’t get the TPA to work properly. So I thought maybe it only works in the GT cars. What procedure do you use to connect everything? I have a 991.2 4S with SC.
Actually I think it may only work on GT cars, as the PCM has to have an SC app and wifi as well. My previous BS never had it, but my current GTS does have it. Never managed to get it right in the BS, but works just fine with the GTS.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:35 AM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed2k
Please tell me more! I use TrackAddict as well, but couldn’t get the TPA to work properly. So I thought maybe it only works in the GT cars. What procedure do you use to connect everything? I have a 991.2 4S with SC.
For the 991.2 cars (not sure about others since I just have experience with this version), TPA is supposed to only work with GT and GTS cars.

That said, more often than not, it exactly does not work for me with my GTS. Features include: not starting a session when I cross start/finish, quitting a session spontaneously in the middle of the session, frequently not recording video, crashing when attempting to play back recordings.

I’ve been trying to get TPA to work since 2019 and it’s gotten better, but still pretty useless for me. Along the way, I’ve swapped out phones multiple times, run different OS versions, different app versions, deleted the app and its data to start from scratch, etc. The old builds had an option to use an external GPS (which would be ideal in order to get 10 Hz refresh vs the phone’s 1 Hz) but new/current versions don’t seem to allow for that anymore.

That’s a very long way of saying that I really like the idea of the app and wish I could take advantage of it for the extra data it collects but, for me, every track day I try to use it just ends up with me collecting no data and/or video at all. If your car doesn’t support TPA, IMHO you are NOT missing out.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:46 AM
Todd Gaine
Instructor

What version of the app are you using. I use 4.07 without a problem.
AFAIK, TPA uses the PCM 4 10Hz GPS.
Compatible vehicles below.

Old 11-15-2022, 08:54 AM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

I’m on 4.11 which I think is the latest ver. I hadn’t know that the car’s GPS was 10 Hz… that makes me want it to work for me that much more as then I wouldn’t need the external GPS anymore.

Properly jealous that you have it working well. I will keep trying next season.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:29 AM
Todd Gaine
Instructor

That is interesting. My Track Precision App 3.0 Ver 4.07 shows update on 25 October 2022. "What's New" shows various stability improvements, optimizations and bug fixes - although I never had a problem before - clearly there were some problems. Maybe different markets have different versions?

Attached is a document stating the PCM GPS is 10Hz.

Perhaps the "AppControlUnit" software in the PCM is different?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Track precision app.pdf (122.5 KB, 174 views)
Old 11-15-2022, 09:39 AM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

I’ll DM you so that I don’t hijack this thread more than I already have with my TPA rants.

Quick Reply: Track Precision App - No Sport Chrono - Base 991.2