Sponsored by:

New 991.2 4GTS Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 04:26 PM
Lrobe22
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New 991.2 4GTS Owner

What's up everyone? I am an excited new owner of a 991.2 4 GTS, and wanted to introduce myself as well as ask some obligatory questions. We've already made our first family trip (2 young children) and are in the process of getting the car ready for HPDE. So here goes nothing:

-19" Centerlock track day wheel recommendation? The car has FAL and RAS. It seems like Apex is on the lower end of the cost spectrum at around $4,000 while the built to order forged wheels like Finspeed and Forgelines are around $6,000. Is there anything in the sub-$4,000 range?
-Recommendation for a harness bar? The Brey Krause unit looks to be well-constructed with a direct install/removal
-Recommendation for seat brackets for a fixed back track seat? We use Sparco Circuit and Circuit II seats and 6 point Schroth harnesses. I would prefer a sliding base.

I also wanted to give a "thanks" to those in the rear child seat install thread for what options actually worked.

Old 10-28-2022, 05:15 PM
ash_schwin
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 179 Posts

Congrats on the new ride and glad to hear you are enjoying it! Share some pics of the car!
Old 10-29-2022, 01:47 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 117 Posts

I don’t have this installed, so not first hand experience, but it’s what I’ve been eyeballing to accommodate harnessed and still keep the backseat usable:

https://www.tpcracing.com/product/99...y-harness-bar/

BBi has a nice sliding base with integrated sub-strap bar that is also looking good for my needs. It matches up with oem seat bracket holes, so swapping is easy (easier?).

Careful on the fitment for 19” wheels with RAS. I’ve heard that there are options that work, but I can’t imagine there would be much clearance at all - there isn’t much with 20s back there.

You’ll quickly discover oem suspension on the GTS doesn’t offer enough camber adjustment, so if you’re tracking enough to be worried about harnesses/seats & dedicated wheels/tires, be prepared to do something to address that. I just went with camber plates up front as a compromise given my car is only 20-30% track use.

Lastly, with lots of track use, the oem rotors don’t really cut it. I went with APracing 2 piece and Ferrodo DS2500s (hybrid street track compound) and have been really happy. Lots of people like Girodisc 2 piece too.

Enjoy the car. It’s hard for me to imagine a better car for both track and street use. They are shockingly capable cars for something that you can family road trip with!
Old 10-30-2022, 03:04 PM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Received 638 Likes on 236 Posts

I have a set of Apex wheels made for the 991.2 GTS with track tires already installed. They clear FAL and RAS. Asking $4000 plus shipping. With TPMS and Conti ECF tires. Used for 3 track days.
Old 10-30-2022, 08:08 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

I have a Brey Krause Harness bar for sale in marketplace that will fit your car if you are interested.

I get all my forged wheels from BC Forged. Great wheels and about 4k for a forged wheel. I have bought 4 sets from them for different cars. I never bought a set for my 991
Old 10-30-2022, 08:10 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Oh and brey krause makes sidemounts and you pair that with 996 gt3 seat sliders that are the same as Audi TT sliders (these are cheaper). I bought these from ECS Tuning I believe.
Old 10-31-2022, 04:08 AM
gskv
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

apex makes great wheels. i pretty much have them for all of my cars.

i feel like i buy cars based on if apex makes wheels or not. started with the e92 m3, BRZ, GTI......991.2 GTS. i trust their wheels.
The following users liked this post:
LWG (10-31-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 10:42 AM
Lrobe22
Track Day

Originally Posted by ash_schwin
Congrats on the new ride and glad to hear you are enjoying it! Share some pics of the car!
Thanks for the warm welcome. Here's what photo I could muster for now:

Originally Posted by CT_Peter
I don’t have this installed, so not first hand experience, but it’s what I’ve been eyeballing to accommodate harnessed and still keep the backseat usable:

https://www.tpcracing.com/product/99...y-harness-bar/

BBi has a nice sliding base with integrated sub-strap bar that is also looking good for my needs. It matches up with oem seat bracket holes, so swapping is easy (easier?).

Careful on the fitment for 19” wheels with RAS. I’ve heard that there are options that work, but I can’t imagine there would be much clearance at all - there isn’t much with 20s back there.

You’ll quickly discover oem suspension on the GTS doesn’t offer enough camber adjustment, so if you’re tracking enough to be worried about harnesses/seats & dedicated wheels/tires, be prepared to do something to address that. I just went with camber plates up front as a compromise given my car is only 20-30% track use.

Lastly, with lots of track use, the oem rotors don’t really cut it. I went with APracing 2 piece and Ferrodo DS2500s (hybrid street track compound) and have been really happy. Lots of people like Girodisc 2 piece too.

Enjoy the car. It’s hard for me to imagine a better car for both track and street use. They are shockingly capable cars for something that you can family road trip with!
Thank you kindly for the welcome and the info. I lucked out, I suppose, that the car already has Girodiscs. Carbotech XP12's are ordered too.

Originally Posted by LWG
I have a set of Apex wheels made for the 991.2 GTS with track tires already installed. They clear FAL and RAS. Asking $4000 plus shipping. With TPMS and Conti ECF tires. Used for 3 track days.
Thanks for the offer. After reading up on Apex, they mentioned that there can be a cosmetic rub on the 9.5's with FAL.
Originally Posted by JSETarga
I have a Brey Krause Harness bar for sale in marketplace that will fit your car if you are interested.

I get all my forged wheels from BC Forged. Great wheels and about 4k for a forged wheel. I have bought 4 sets from them for different cars. I never bought a set for my 991
Originally Posted by JSETarga
Oh and brey krause makes sidemounts and you pair that with 996 gt3 seat sliders that are the same as Audi TT sliders (these are cheaper). I bought these from ECS Tuning I believe.
Great to know, thank you. I need to research the difference between your bar and the standard coupe bar to visualize the difference a bit better.

Originally Posted by gskv
apex makes great wheels. i pretty much have them for all of my cars.

i feel like i buy cars based on if apex makes wheels or not. started with the e92 m3, BRZ, GTI......991.2 GTS. i trust their wheels.
That's great feedback. I am leaning their way, hopefully there will be some Black Friday/Christmas sales coming from them, Finspeed, or Forgeline.

Last edited by Lrobe22; 11-01-2022 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-02-2022, 10:55 AM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Received 638 Likes on 236 Posts

Yes, I am the one that provided them the information about the cosmetic rub. They instructed me to zip tie the boot, and that gave the clearance required to clear FAL without any issues. I am only selling since my car was sold.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:52 AM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

The only difference is the bars that angle down toward the seats and attach to the front seat belt bolts are 2” shorter. What this does is slightly lower the height of the top bar that the harness attaches to. You can see in the pictures on my ad that the bar is still at a good position for harness strap attachment relative to seat back holes that the harness runs through.
Old 11-02-2022, 02:04 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

"Careful on the fitment for 19” wheels with RAS. I’ve heard that there are options that work, but I can’t imagine there would be much clearance at all - there isn’t much with 20s back there."

I tried O.Z 19" wheels on my 19 991.2 GTS. The fronts fit tine, the rears rubbed. I have pics us the wheel with the rub marks and the suspension part causing the rub.

Prior get getting the 2017 991.2 GTS, I had a 2013 991.1 Carrera S with 20" wheels, I converted them to 19" O.Z. wheels, they were fine, with no rubbing. Mistakenly I assumed that a set of 19" center locks will fit the 911.2 GTS. So I ordered the O.Z. Centerline wheels, they rubbed in the rear, so had to sell them at a loss, and then post up > a $4,400 for a set of Factory 20" center locks.

Ironically, I am putting this set of 20" OEM wheels for sale in a week or so. My tracking days are behind me.

The 360 degree rub marks are at the outer edge of the wheel.

The part that caused the damage is labeled # 1; rear wheel carriers. And no, you can't grind it to eliminate the rubbing without damaging the wheel carrier.

SUMMER TIRES 991.2 GTS WHEEL SIZE 991.2 GTS

Front Axle 245/35/ZR 20 91Y 9J x 20, RO (ET) 51
Rear Axle 305/30/ZR20 (103Y)XL 12j x 20, RO (ET) 63
If you were ever to look at aftermarket wheels, double check the widths and offset
I had a set of O.Z. 19" wheels, they were the right offset(ET), but the thickness of the
O.Z. wheel rim caused a mild RUB against the rear wheel carriers…
To my ear 0 rubbing/scraping is tolerable, off they came, sold to a guy
having a car they actually fit, a 2012 GT3, the origin of the wheels in the first place.

Last edited by Martin S.; 11-02-2022 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-02-2022, 02:09 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Dup post

Last edited by Martin S.; 11-02-2022 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-03-2022, 11:18 AM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 117 Posts

Someone I know has just sold his GTS and has posted a set of 19" wheels that he's used successfully with that car. Definitely worth checking out if you're thinking of adding a 2nd set for track duty. https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1321881
Old 11-03-2022, 11:53 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default In my experience, the O.Z. 19" wheels on a 17 GTS ...

...rubbed as indicated above, BUT that's O.Z,19" rear rears rubbing on the rear wheel carriers. I have no experience with the APEX wheels.

Old 02-06-2023, 04:27 PM
Lrobe22
Track Day

Any suggestions for track wheels? I'm looking for stock or near stock fitment, not GT3 offsets, which really seems to narrow the options out there. It seems like the most budget-friendly option is OZ Racing. Finspeed and Forgelines are fantastic but I would rather not spend $7,000 on a set of track wheels.

Quick Reply: New 991.2 4GTS Owner