DM me. I have and aFe update for you.

Last edited by InfoTech; 04-30-2024 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-01-2024, 02:21 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by InfoTech
DM me. I have and aFe update for you.
right........ why not here so everyone can know?
The following users liked this post:
InfoTech (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 03:04 AM
InfoTech
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default afe Power AIS Fix (2012, 911)

Originally Posted by malahhaor
right........ why not here so everyone can know?
I'm uncertain of specific years or part numbers that this issue pertains to, and I wish to avoid further complicating the forum thread. Hence, I'm inclined to seek guidance from a seasoned member regarding the appropriate venue for my update.
​​​​​​
Nevertheless, I've attached a photo in the hope that it may help those who can relate.

Kevin from aFe Power invested considerable effort in resolving my issue. Customer support plans to reach out to individuals with previous technical issues, albeit uncertain about the timeline. Therefore, I recommend connecting with them promptly. Good luck everyone.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:13 AM
InfoTech
AutoX

Originally Posted by Megan_Steel
@MagicalCanoe , did your OEM scoop fit without significant gaps? @ryanmonto , how about you? Any chance one of you know or could look up the P/N for your OEM scoop?

I also bought an aFe Black Series intake, and my OEM scoop (991.110.261.02) leaves a 3/4" gap at the widest points. There is a new scoop revision to 991.110.261.03 but it's unclear if there is a size difference or it was simply a new manufacturer for the OEM part.

The pics below are from my 2013 911S - install was a breeze, but this scoop fitment is a big ol' bummer.

991.110.261.02 gap with aFe Black series intake

991.110.261.02 gap with aFe Black series intake
My gap was very similar to this one. From the research I have done, I believe I have the post recall air scoop. aFe design was based off pre recall air scoop.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:54 AM
Viper1000
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 133 Posts

I've thought about the cold air intake but reading so many posts on various sites and they all conclude that it actually reduces HP. In my case, I plan on doing a Softronic Tune for my car since I have already have the SOUL headers and exhaust. Softronic claims 30+ RWHP so we'll see but reading about folks that have gone this direction and it seems to be very positive.
InfoTech (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 12:28 PM
InfoTech
AutoX

Originally Posted by Viper1000
I've thought about the cold air intake but reading so many posts on various sites and they all conclude that it actually reduces HP. In my case, I plan on doing a Softronic Tune for my car since I have already have the SOUL headers and exhaust. Softronic claims 30+ RWHP so we'll see but reading about folks that have gone this direction and it seems to be very positive.
Yeah, I’ve read about that too. What I’ve noticed from my aFe AIS is an improved throttle response and acceleration, likely due to the better airflow from the aftermarket filter. This leads me to believe that I might have achieved similar results with the factory replacement filter (Pro 5R or Pro Dry S). Now, if I had to choose between a $1,000 tune and a $1,000 cold air intake (CAI), I would lean toward the tune, like you plan to. However, I’m curious whether combining the tune with the CAI (or factory replacement Pro 5R/Pro Dry S filter) would yield even better results. Keep us updated.
Viper1000 (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 12:33 PM
Phikel
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with Vipers comment....when I was considering a tune the guys at Softronic sent me a link (which I can't find..ugg) that showed video(s) of dyno pulls with all of the various aftermarket cold air option-IPD etc., none of them were worth the investment other than the BMC filters which actually showed increases. The Softronic tune along with Soul catted Headers w/ valved exhaust and BMC filters did provide a boost in the cars performance. The HP/Torque increases from these upgrades is noticeable.
The following 2 users liked this post by Phikel:
InfoTech (05-01-2024), Viper1000 (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 04:18 PM
InfoTech
AutoX

Originally Posted by Phikel
I agree with Vipers comment....when I was considering a tune the guys at Softronic sent me a link (which I can't find..ugg) that showed video(s) of dyno pulls with all of the various aftermarket cold air option-IPD etc., none of them were worth the investment other than the BMC filters which actually showed increases. The Softronic tune along with Soul catted Headers w/ valved exhaust and BMC filters did provide a boost in the cars performance. The HP/Torque increases from these upgrades is noticeable.
Oh! I think I know the videos you're referring to. In many of these comparison videos, a crucial aspect often gets overlooked: post-installation driving sessions. It seems there's not enough time allocated for the car's computer to adapt and recalibrate, raising skepticism about result consistency. Even if there's a noticeable power decrease, I believe it's essential to drive the vehicle for a few miles before conducting another dyno test. Some enthusiasts prioritize the look and sound over performance gains. For instance, a small loss of 5HP might be acceptable for those seeking improved sound, but a 15HP decrease would likely deter many from pursuing that route. So, I worry that some of these losses in power shown in the videos might actually be worse.

Upon discussing this with an engineer from aFe Power, they explained why consecutive dyno runs are avoided. However, recent public concerns have emerged regarding tests conducted on different days, suggesting weather variations significantly impact horsepower readings. Consequently, many CAI manufacturers have shifted towards conducting back-to-back runs to mitigate weather-related effects like humidity, temperature, and pressure. Dyno charts display the dates and times of testing, with some intervals spanning weeks and others mere hours.

Deciding on the best approach is challenging. Perhaps all three tests (Baseline, MOD, Mod After-Miles) should be conducted. Some vehicles may require up to 100-200 miles to fully adapt or could potentially trigger a check engine light. Also, the aFe employee noted that power gains sometimes occur when the ECU adjusts timing. They examine car data such as timing and fuel trims at various RPMs to determine if the intake affected horsepower or if other factors were at play.

Old 05-01-2024, 04:30 PM
InfoTech
AutoX

Default Intakes Systems Comparison

Originally Posted by Phikel

This one?
Old 05-02-2024, 03:30 AM
Phikel
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes that was the video.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:14 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Intake alone won't do much. Germans already have optimal intakes, have for years. You need to make sure your backend is freed up in order for engine to use more of that air.
Combine good set of headers and rest of exhaust with an air intake mod, that's where you get best benefits.
Thats why you don't see allot of gains by changing intake only. First make sure you can flow as much spent gas as possible. Then adding something that flows more intake air will make another small bump.
that's why people complained about iPD not making power, they installed it by itself. You need to do it after you get your exhaust done.
I had it on my 997.1 and now on 991.1 in both cases I feel difference in the car. It's not night and day but it takes it one small notch above just having exhaust mod.
then it's your decision if the increase it gives you worth the price of part and install.
InfoTech (05-03-2024)

Quick Reply: 2013 911 Carrera S cold air intake