Sponsored by:

Time for a 911 !

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 01:37 PM
Rcc
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re

I was also looking at a 981 gt4 2016, (718 are selling with a 25k premium at my dealer ). Was a tough decision but I think the 911 is the way to go .

QUOTE=asellus;18379558]If it wasn't for the AWD problem, I'd be in a 981 or 982 instead of a 991. The GT4 is definitely where it's at, but even a 981 GTS is nothing to sneeze at.

I've said it many times before and I'll keep saying it -- the cayman is an objectively better platform than the 911. Porsche just won't let it be faster than their flagship.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-26-2022, 01:39 PM
Rcc
Intermediate

thank you for the great insights . I see you have track experience so that’s valuable . are you not missing some of the tech offered with the S like the rear steering ?
also , what are your thoughts on the sound ? One of the beauties of my 981 gts is the incredible sound it produces .

Originally Posted by GlowingRotor
2018 991.2 C2 Base PDK owner here. I have owned this car for two years now and tracked this car 2 weekends a year for the past two years on a small (2 mile) momentum/technical track (Grattan near Grand Rapids MI). My car is completely stock and feel it is a very competent car for track use in stock form. I have done HPDE for 10 years and previously endurance raced for 2 years. And, even though I am a pretty conservative driver, I don't often have to point cars by running in the Advanced and Instructor groups and am running within about 4 seconds/lap of top spec Miata racers. My 2018 feels surprisingly close to my old 1987 911 that was set up for track use. It has those 911 characteristics of light front end, weight in the rear that allows power down early but, with the extra HP and TQ it does everything so much quicker. The PDK is fantastic for track use as all shifts are quick and perfect. If pushing the car on track with traction control on, watch your rear brakes as they will be used at an alarming rate! Upgrades for track use for next year include a dedicated set of track wheels with Cup 2 tires most likely. Possibly upgrading the brake pads but will see how next season goes.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:28 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,202 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by Rcc
thank you for the great insights . I see you have track experience so that’s valuable . are you not missing some of the tech offered with the S like the rear steering ?
also , what are your thoughts on the sound ? One of the beauties of my 981 gts is the incredible sound it produces .
My snarky comments: GT3 Cup cars have RAS delete. And .1 people love talking about sound when they finally catch up at the finish line

but yea, N/A motors sound siiiick when opened up, can’t deny, and rear axle steering is useful in parking lots or turning around on small roads.

Last edited by MingusDew; 09-26-2022 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:37 PM
Tommy L Garage
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 208 Posts

I went from a 981 Cayman S to 991.2 Carrera T

Cayman sounded amazing. T is better in every way aside from the sound.

I say stay away from base because you won’t be happy, especially after coming from a GTs. I would not, for example, get a 911 now without full leather (door and dash) and 18 way seats. Yea I know I know it’s about the driving experience, but there’s a cool factor about full leather.
The following users liked this post:
Dgags (09-27-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 02:38 PM
Rcc
Intermediate

Default Re

haha brilliant

Originally Posted by MingusDew
My snarky comments: GT3 Cup cars have RAS delete. And .1 people love talking about sound when they finally catch up at the finish line

but yea, N/A motors sound siiiick when opened up, can’t deny, and rear axle steering is useful in parking lots or turning around on small roads.
Old 09-26-2022, 04:38 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 587 Likes on 396 Posts

Stock for stock, realize the 981 will be more willing to rotate and be a bit more nimble. Modern 911s tend to need a bit of trail braking to reduce understeer on corner entry. The thing about the 911 with the rear weight bias and fat rear tires is that you can get on the power earlier and harder. In street driving, the significant increase of torque in going to the turbo engine of the 991.2 will probably be the thing you notice most. Install some equal length headers and sport cats and the exhaust sound will dramatically change and you'll get faster response and better power too.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:38 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Install some equal length headers
do what now? this isn't a turbo subaru, the exhaust streams are divorced until the muffler itself.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:42 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 657 Likes on 288 Posts

The base is a great platform if you are going to mod. A tune will do wonders to wake the car up. If you track, and the car has base brakes look at pad and rotor upgrades in the short term. Other than that, it's a great place to start. I started out with a Cayman R (that I still have) and moved up to the T at the end of 2018. The T comes with the base engine and brakes unless PCCB's were specced when ordered. I tracked it for a minute and the only changes I made were a tune, DSC controller and Brembo BBK, I made the mistake of not checking the PCCB box... You will love the 911! Good luck!
Old 09-26-2022, 06:06 PM
GlowingRotor
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going from a 1987 911 with no ABS, no Traction Control/nannies, the tech I have in my 2018 car feels like a light year of improvement. I've never driven an S or above so, I guess I don't know what I'm missing. Regarding the engine noise, even with PSE, I don't really know how much I'm hearing the engine/engine exhaust note when on track. On track, I have the helmet on (muffles sounds), windows down (lots of wind noise in the cabin), and probably listening more for tire sound providing feedback than the engine sounds. On the street, it sounds very nice when heavy into the throttle. Certainly not like a GT3 at redline but respectable.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:56 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,202 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
do what now? this isn't a turbo subaru, the exhaust streams are divorced until the muffler itself.
Factory turbo manifold is basically giant collector, and changing to equal length headers changes the harmony/resonances. The tone of the exhaust is most certainly altered with equal length headers as compared to the factory collector/manifolds. Perhaps not as drastic as Subaru boxer equal vs. non-equal headers, but the tone change is widely documented and commented on in EVERY 991.2 exhaust thread.
Old 09-26-2022, 11:26 PM
Rcc
Intermediate

Default Re

CPO included new Michelin pilot sport 4s . So I was lucky with that. Car is 2019 , one single owner , but no service history .. the sales guy tells me that the CpO guarantees that everything is up to date . Independent of cpo I asked him for the 4yr service to be done . Let’s see what he comes back with
Old 09-26-2022, 11:27 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,066 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
If it wasn't for the AWD problem, I'd be in a 981 or 982 instead of a 991. The GT4 is definitely where it's at, but even a 981 GTS is nothing to sneeze at.

I've said it many times before and I'll keep saying it -- the cayman is an objectively better platform than the 911. Porsche just won't let it be faster than their flagship.

Mid-engine, i.e. Cayman, is indeed objectively better, and for the same weight and horsepower should be easier to drive faster. But nothing feels like a 911. If you like that feeling, especially on the street, then a few tenths at the track means nothing.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:15 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Get a PPI

Done by an independent shop especially if remote. Not to scare you as Im sure the car is fine but CPO cars can have up to 3 body panels replaced.

Originally Posted by Rcc
CPO included new Michelin pilot sport 4s . So I was lucky with that. Car is 2019 , one single owner , but no service history .. the sales guy tells me that the CpO guarantees that everything is up to date . Independent of cpo I asked him for the 4yr service to be done . Let’s see what he comes back with
Old 09-27-2022, 09:04 AM
RennListUser01
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

"...finish line." Hmmm, mine is my garage ...

Yeah, still like the NA sound vs the turbo.
The following 3 users liked this post by RennListUser01:
911Raider (09-27-2022), Dgags (09-27-2022), NF4710 (09-27-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 12:42 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by MingusDew
Factory turbo manifold is basically giant collector, and changing to equal length headers changes the harmony/resonances. The tone of the exhaust is most certainly altered with equal length headers as compared to the factory collector/manifolds. Perhaps not as drastic as Subaru boxer equal vs. non-equal headers, but the tone change is widely documented and commented on in EVERY 991.2 exhaust thread.
Oh for sure, going from a log style to a tubular turbo manifold is and does make a world of difference. This is just the first time I've heard them called "equal length headers" -- this implies the lengths, which are a whole ten inches, are currently inequal and the new exhaust does some snaking to artificially lenghten one side to equalize them. It just stuck out to me since I don't think that either part of that statement is actually true.

Quick Reply: Time for a 911 !