Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross post: 987 Spyder or 991.2 C2 for track toy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2022 | 01:34 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Question Cross post: 987 Spyder or 991.2 C2 for track toy?

I tracked and auto crossed aircooled 911s from 2005 to 2008 and stopped motorsports in 2011. I now live in Mexico, in a small town filled with cobble stone roads, potholes, and speed bumps so the only p-car that makes sense is the Macan Turbo I own.

I want to buy a car for canyon drives and track events out of town. The part of me that misses the visceral feel of the old 911s wants a 987 Spyder MT. The competitive part of me wants a 991.2 C2/T/C4 PDK. The car would be modded. A sorted Spyder would feel amazing and can hang with older GT3s. A sorted 991.2 can keep up with a Turbo S. The Spyder is half the price to buy and mod and is iconic but still... a Boxster. The 991.2 is a 911 and a total sleeper. I'm really torn here so please help me out. They are very different cars appealing to equally important aspirations of mine.

Bonus: If I go with the 991.2 and mod to stage 2 or 3, C2 or C4?
Old 09-18-2022 | 04:11 AM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

If you want a track toy that is visceral get a 996 GT3. Not sure I would pick either of your choices as a track toy. I prefer to have a roof for the track, and yes the 991.2 is fast and can be made faster, plenty of people track them, but there is a reason why the track weapon of choice is a normally aspirated GT3.
Old 09-18-2022 | 05:14 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MingusDew
If you want a track toy that is visceral get a 996 GT3. Not sure I would pick either of your choices as a track toy. I prefer to have a roof for the track, and yes the 991.2 is fast and can be made faster, plenty of people track them, but there is a reason why the track weapon of choice is a normally aspirated GT3.
Agreed. However, GT3 puts me in a different price range and perhaps too much car for my immediate needs..
Old 09-18-2022 | 07:48 PM
keebin
Rennlist Member

I’m building a 991.2 track setup/canyon car and I’m almost done at this point. And i truly find it more fun than any GT car. I like the power, the sound and fact you get more for less in a sense.
Old 09-18-2022 | 07:54 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by keebin
I’m building a 991.2 track setup/canyon car and I’m almost done at this point. And i truly find it more fun than any GT car. I like the power, the sound and fact you get more for less in a sense.
Nice. Care to share your mod list? What makes it more fun than a GT for you?
Old 09-19-2022 | 07:39 PM
keebin
Rennlist Member

Sharkwerks exhaust/ soul hi flow cats
JRZ rs2 coil overs
elephant racing front lower control arms
elephant racing front caster arms
elephant racing rear lower control arms
rennline front tie rod ends
apex wheels in 19’s with Falken rt660’s
mines a c2s with lsd/ras and sport Chrono

I love the way the car sounds/and drives but be warned by the time you do these mods you aren’t to far from get car money.

Last edited by keebin; 09-19-2022 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-19-2022 | 10:37 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by keebin
Sharkwerks exhaust/ soul hi flow cats
JRZ rs2 coil overs
elephant racing front lower control arms
elephant racing front caster arms
elephant racing rear lower control arms
rennline front tie rod ends
apex wheels in 19’s with Falken rt660’s
mines a c2s with lsd/ras and sport Chrono

I love the way the car sounds/and drives but be warned by the time you do these mods you aren’t to far from get car money.
Yep, I've gone down the slippery slope with my previous 993 track car, going as far as swapping transmissions etc. Not sure I want to go down that road again. I need something that works relatively well out of the box. That's what draws me to the 981 GT4.
Old 09-24-2022 | 02:05 AM
SantaFePorsche
Instructor

I’m a 911 person - I’ve had a few. But I have also had a 987 Spyder - it’s simply magic. Great on the track, AX and the twisties. Granted it is a Boxster - but somehow it’s so much more. Truly amazing to drive. I did a 2,000 mile trip in it - mostly with the top off. Not practical in the least, but back to that same word - magic.

I sold it for a 991.2 GT3T. Also a magic car. I can say that the 987 Spyder would have been the keeper for me - but for the GT3T.

Lots of 991s out there - they are amazing cars. But wow the 987 Spyder is just one of those rare cars that is so much more than you expect. And - if it matters - I got more comments on the Spyder than on any other Porsche (or car) that I have ever owned. It’s beautiful.

My vote - find a good 6MT Spyder with LWBS (Sofas OK too) - and keep it. You will love it for years to come.

Old 09-24-2022 | 02:12 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SantaFePorsche
I’m a 911 person - I’ve had a few. But I have also had a 987 Spyder - it’s simply magic. Great on the track, AX and the twisties. Granted it is a Boxster - but somehow it’s so much more. Truly amazing to drive. I did a 2,000 mile trip in it - mostly with the top off. Not practical in the least, but back to that same word - magic.

I sold it for a 991.2 GT3T. Also a magic car. I can say that the 987 Spyder would have been the keeper for me - but for the GT3T.

Lots of 991s out there - they are amazing cars. But wow the 987 Spyder is just one of those rare cars that is so much more than you expect. And - if it matters - I got more comments on the Spyder than on any other Porsche (or car) that I have ever owned. It’s beautiful.

My vote - find a good 6MT Spyder with LWBS (Sofas OK too) - and keep it. You will love it for years to come.
Thank you for that. At this point, I've realized that one car won't do the trick and that between the 987 Spyder, the GT4 and the 991 T that I'm considering, the 987 Spyder is the one I won't do without. And it has to be MT, with LWBS, and white/black no matter how long it takes. I'm looking at a cheap black/red PDK with LWBS this weekend as the "while I find the one" car.
Old 09-24-2022 | 02:23 AM
SantaFePorsche
Instructor

My local PCA AX group had three 987.2 Spyders - we’ll at least until I sold mine. Silver, red and white. I have to say my favorite was the white one (not mine). The car looks great in just about any color - but I’m pretty darn partial to white.

Good luck with the hunt. The 987.2 Spyder forum is a great place for info and advice.
Old 09-24-2022 | 02:35 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SantaFePorsche
My local PCA AX group had three 987.2 Spyders - we’ll at least until I sold mine. Silver, red and white. I have to say my favorite was the white one (not mine). The car looks great in just about any color - but I’m pretty darn partial to white.

Good luck with the hunt. The 987.2 Spyder forum is a great place for info and advice.
Thank you so much. I fell in love with the Spyder in 2010 when it was first announced and before it was available. You might enjoy having a read from the perspective of a 993 diehard. Naturally, the first one I ever saw was white.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...a-boxster.html
Old 09-24-2022 | 01:18 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Well, as you’ve figured out by now Julien, there really is no wrong answer here. I own both a 987.2 Spyder and a 991.2 Targa. Both are completely stock and while I don’t track them, there are plenty of fun roads here in SoCal to drive them hard enough to scare me.

While I love the lightweight, tossable simplicity of the Spyder, I equally love having 450 twin turbo horses under my right foot with the Targa. Alas, my dilemma is the opposite of yours. I simply have too many cars and one of them has to go. It will eventually be the Targa. I let the Spyder go once and then bought it back 4 years later. I won’t make that mistake again. There are plenty of 911’s out there if I change my mind in the future.

Good luck with your decision.

DaveGee

Last edited by DaveGee; 09-24-2022 at 01:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SantaFePorsche (09-26-2022)
Old 09-25-2022 | 12:48 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Well, as you’ve figured out by now Julien, there really is no wrong answer here. I own both a 987.2 Spyder and a 991.2 Targa. Both are completely stock and while I don’t track them, there are plenty of fun roads here in SoCal to drive them hard enough to scare me.

While I love the lightweight, tossable simplicity of the Spyder, I equally love having 450 twin turbo horses under my right foot with the Targa. Alas, my dilemma is the opposite of yours. I simply have too many cars and one of them has to go. It will eventually be the Targa. I let the Spyder go once and then bought it back 4 years later. I won’t make that mistake again. There are plenty of 911’s out there if I change my mind in the future.

Good luck with your decision.

DaveGee
Thank you Dave. I agree that the 987 is the kind of car that once in your possession, you don't let go. Congrats in getting yours back!

Quick Reply: Cross post: 987 Spyder or 991.2 C2 for track toy?