Sponsored by:

Fixing Flat Tires during a trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 01:17 AM
992carreraS
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteJav
I would avoid the goo, and use a tire plug, and the in-car air compressor--its hidden in the frunk cowel. You will likely want some sort of small emergency scissor jack as fully deflated tire is nearly impossible to fill with an air compressor without getting that wheel off the ground until its up at 10psi. Best bet is to have the emergency spare strapped down in the back seat area of the car if you plan to go limited service areas of Utah, Colorado, Wyoming etc. IE places where it says no gas station for the next 250 miles. Even having the spare can be challenging because the wheel you take off may not fit easily into the car if you have a passenger. Bring the largest garbage bag you can find as that wheel will be dirty as heck.

Then follow up with a tire shop have them patch it and remove the plug until you can get a proper new tire. Make sure you have your wheel lock too, put together a check list of stuff before you take off on your adventure. Not tire related but also pack gallon or two of distilled water, ideal if you have a coolant leak. If you get a radiator puncture from an errant rock this may save you. Shameless plug here for Zunsport or Rennline grill guards here. If you are really screwed you at least have two gallons of drinkable water. Bland as hell and no minerals but you will stay hydrated.
I considered the donut spare. Was curious as to how a removed rear tire would be loaded in the back with the seats folded down. Even with the passenger seat moved forward, and folded forward, is there enough width for the tire to clear? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks for the tips. all good things to consider.
Old 09-07-2022, 01:35 AM
992carreraS
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
If you want to carry a spare, here is one way:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9833...-mounting.html
I should have clicked this link before asking my my spare tire question. This link shows everything you need to know about spares, fitting the flat tire in the back, and tire swapping methods. Thanks for posting this link.
Old 09-07-2022, 08:44 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
If you want to carry a spare, here is one way:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9833...-mounting.html
@bkrantz Great post. I forgot I had seen that before. Have you ever had to use your spare? If so, how did it go? Also, I'm wondering/curious about the life expectancy of these collapsible spares and if there's a source for replacement of the tire (the rubber part only, not the wheel/rim). It is said that regular tires should not be kepts more than 6 years regardless of tread ware.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:03 AM
dannyss
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 78 Posts

If me and my wife go on a 7-10 day trip, the back seat area is filled with duffle bags, food, ...
If I had a spare tire in the frunk, then the tools, folding camp chairs and the cooler would also need to be in the back seat area. No way there's any room left for those things.
So If I need to use the spare tire, where would I store the flat tire until it's repaired?
I don't see a spare as being a solution for a long trip.
The following users liked this post:
DaveGee (09-07-2022)
Old 09-07-2022, 11:53 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dannyss
If me and my wife go on a 7-10 day trip, the back seat area is filled with duffle bags, food, ...
If I had a spare tire in the frunk, then the tools, folding camp chairs and the cooler would also need to be in the back seat area. No way there's any room left for those things.
So If I need to use the spare tire, where would I store the flat tire until it's repaired?
I don't see a spare as being a solution for a long trip.
@dannyss

Stole this image from @Wujohn in another thread. Notice he has enough space with that roof basket for two tires.
This is basically (I believe) the only other option if you're limited on space in back seat area and/or frunk. Get the OEM roof rack/rails and any cargo basket. This way you could shuffle things around if needed and even keep some of your travel gear on top so long as it's stored in something weather proof (iff needed)

Old 09-07-2022, 02:42 PM
dannyss
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 78 Posts

Tier1Terrier,
No way would I go to that length to be prepared for a flat during a longer trip.
What we're forgetting here are the probability of having a flat while being on that trip.
Dgags (09-07-2022)
Old 09-07-2022, 03:47 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dannyss
Tier1Terrier,
No way would I go to that length to be prepared for a flat during a longer trip.
What we're forgetting here are the probability of having a flat while being on that trip.
I get it. I've contemplated it much. I took the chance doing a relatively short (150 mile each way) road trip with my family this past weekend. The thought of a flat always crosses my mind. In my case, I was never too far where reasonable arrangements could not be made although it would have been a very unpleasant inconvenience to say the least.

Unfortunately, the above solution with the cargo basket, which is not ideal if you don't have a flat, is the only way if the rest of your car is full of stuff and passengers. You can't have it all with a 911 without being willing to make some compromises.
Old 09-07-2022, 04:00 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,126 Likes on 673 Posts

Has anyone tried this"

Keep superglue and screwdriver in your car. If you get a screw in the tire, leave screw in and squirt superglue all around the puncture. Then tighten the screw into the tire. The combination of tightening the screw and superglue drying will form a seal. Good enough to get to a station for a real fix.

I have never tried it, but read about it.

Thoughts?

Old 09-07-2022, 05:45 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Has anyone tried this"

Keep superglue and screwdriver in your car. If you get a screw in the tire, leave screw in and squirt superglue all around the puncture. Then tighten the screw into the tire. The combination of tightening the screw and superglue drying will form a seal. Good enough to get to a station for a real fix.

I have never tried it, but read about it.

Thoughts?
What if you pick up a nail instead of a screw?

DaveGee
Old 09-07-2022, 06:09 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

bring a hammer too
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
Noah Fect (09-12-2022), regajohn (09-20-2022)
Old 09-07-2022, 07:09 PM
Dgags
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 72 Posts

A lot of fun wouldn’t have been had if I was paralyzed by the thought of getting a flat. I’d probably get rid of the car if I didn’t think it was safe to drive a road with no cell coverage. It took 10 minutes to plug my right rear tire when a hollow piece of steel tubing found it.

Plug kit, a couple tools, scissor jack if you feel the need (I didn’t use the jack).

Western WA to Minneapolis round trip, Southern AZ round trip, and quite a few 300+ mile early morning blasts. Memories I wouldn’t have if I was overly concerned about the what ifs. Pretty sure I found BFE between Jackpot and Ely, NV.

Last edited by Dgags; 09-07-2022 at 07:44 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dgags:
DR911s (04-09-2023), Porsche_nuts (09-07-2022), sampelligrino (11-01-2022)
Old 09-07-2022, 11:15 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 336 Likes on 138 Posts

A good plug kit and maybe this for trips to remote areas.
Link Link
. This can be equipped with other options that are listed below the item description. Looks rather compact. So it's not taking up a lot of luggage space.

Edit: It does need 5.5" to fit so may not work in all instances.

Edit: Maybe this is better for our low riding cars.
Link Link

Last edited by Live Steam; 09-07-2022 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:28 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 958 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
@bkrantz Great post. I forgot I had seen that before. Have you ever had to use your spare? If so, how did it go? Also, I'm wondering/curious about the life expectancy of these collapsible spares and if there's a source for replacement of the tire (the rubber part only, not the wheel/rim). It is said that regular tires should not be kepts more than 6 years regardless of tread ware.
I have not had to use it on the road (knock on wood). And I have been reluctant to try inflating it, since some things I read make it sound like the tire may not fully retract after deflating. I am not sure about life span. I hope it is more than 6 years, since it lives in the dark away from temp extremes.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:32 AM
raaizin
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 63 Posts

Motorcyclists do some very long rides without a spare tire. I wouldnt worry about a flat, I just have a plug kit, jack and a better aftermarket air compressor. I think the on Porsche supplies isnt that great.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by raaizin; 09-08-2022 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:33 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by raaizin
Motorcyclists do some very long rides without a spare tire. I wouldnt worry about a flat, I just have a plug kit, jack and a better aftermarket air compressor. I think the on Porsche supplies isnt that great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ASY23I...​​
Lot easier to fix a flat on a moto than on a car
IXLR8 (09-13-2022)

Quick Reply: Fixing Flat Tires during a trip