Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE & Chrono. What’s the true story? Extra HP??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 09:34 AM
305/718
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PSE & Chrono. What’s the true story? Extra HP??

What is the TRUE story? Do you actually get any extra hp or performance from The PSE and the Chrono? Porsche is very vague on their site. I know that Porsche tends to understate hp and other performance numbers.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:28 AM
Got_Corners?
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

In a word, theatrics.
Without a tune, the hp/tq numbers are the same in every mode. The delivery is different, accompanied by cool sounds. Note, the pdk behaves/shifts very differently in diff chrono modes (normal, sport, sport +, power button), and THIS translates to better performance (along w/suspension tweaks) and a more visceral driving experience.
PSE is still muted imo. Despite its cool center exit appearance (991.2) if you were planning to do aftermkt exhaust or cats or heads....spend your $ there instead. my $.02
The following users liked this post:
992carreraS (08-29-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 09:43 AM
ktnielsen
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 47 Posts

My anecdotal opinion after driving 991.2’s with SC/PSE and without.PSE changes exhaust note, SC gives you launch control, and Sport+ which maps the PDK for track use.
Old 08-29-2022, 11:05 AM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 101 Posts

Pressing the Sport or Sport Plus buttons turns your car from a comfortable, quiet daily driver to an aggressive beast. And it's instantaneous. Those buttons open the sport exhaust valves as part of the changes. Having experienced it on 3 different models of Porsche, and one without, I would not buy a Porsche without that option.
The following 2 users liked this post by Scott O'Connor:
mc3456 (08-31-2022), XLR82XS (08-30-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 11:29 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 393 Likes on 227 Posts

No. Period.
The following users liked this post:
NI3 (09-01-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 01:14 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default If you really want to know....

Originally Posted by 305/718
What is the TRUE story? Do you actually get any extra hp or performance from The PSE and the Chrono? Porsche is very vague on their site. I know that Porsche tends to understate hp and other performance numbers.
And assuming you have a 991.2, have the car dyno'd...do 3 runs in Normal,, in the not too distant future, do 3 runs in Sport, and subsequently, a week or so later do 3 runs in Sport +. You would not want to do 3 X 3 dyno runs in 1 day I would think. Also note, dyno runs are done with an operator in the car. Have him punch the PSRB button during your last of 3 dyno run in the Normal mode. You can be the person who documents the incremental 20 seconds of over-boost Promised by Porsche. You'll be famous on Rennlist as the guy that cracked the code! It will be as if you cracked the German Enigma code in WW2!

Just for fun, and I am certain most have done this (Who can resist a button that promises 20 seconds of over-boost?), while lumbering along on the street in the Normal mode....when it is safe to do so, punch the Porsche Sport Response Button (PSRB) in the center of the 4 way rotary Sport Chrono switch on your steering wheel as you "floor" the accelerator, According to Porsche, 20 seconds incremental boost is on tap. You'll feel as if your "hair is on fire". Is the car making more HP? It would seem so, more boost generally equates to more HP. I suspect that what is happening is when the PSRB button is pushed, while in the Normal of Sport mode, the car goes into the Sport + mode for 20 seconds with 20 seconds of over-boost. If you push the PSRB while you are in the Sport + mode, don't expect much to follow. How do I know this? While on the track with a 1/2 mile straight in front of me, driving in the Sport + mode, I punched the PSRB eagerly anticipating the 20 seconds of "incremental over-boost" promised by Porsche as a result of pushing the button. .Nothing changed....so what I think happens is when you are driving/acceleratng in the Normal or Sport modes, a push of the button drops you into Sport + for up to 20 seconds.

I have a friend with a 991.2 Carrera S who lives in a somewhat rural area...He deploys this tactic when encountering slow, pesky drivers on the country roads, showing them his backside in the process. PSRB can be addicting....potentially it can also get you in trouble (Tickets, etc.) on the street.

Last edited by Martin S.; 08-29-2022 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-29-2022, 01:48 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

No extra horsepower, extra "involvement".
PSE gives exhaust noise control via the muffler and the ECU. Sport Chrono adds Launch Control to the various ECU and PDK modes, and the chronometer blister.
Old 08-29-2022, 02:46 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

The stated HP isn’t changed by the PSE or SC options. Just extra stuff for fun. The PSE is basically straight thru exhaust from the cut outs I’ve seen.

HP ratings are different with each dyno so hard to pin down.

I’m happy with my PSE and SC.

Last edited by BSO; 08-29-2022 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-29-2022, 03:13 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
And assuming you have a 991.2, have the car dyno'd...do 3 runs in Normal,, in the not too distant future, do 3 runs in Sport, and subsequently, a week or so later do 3 runs in Sport +. You would not want to do 3 X 3 dyno runs in 1 day I would think. Also note, dyno runs are done with an operator in the car. Have him punch the PSRB button during your last of 3 dyno run in the Normal mode. You can be the person who documents the incremental 20 seconds of over-boost Promised by Porsche. You'll be famous on Rennlist as the guy that cracked the code! It will be as if you cracked the German Enigma code in WW2!

Just for fun, and I am certain most have done this (Who can resist a button that promises 20 seconds of over-boost?), while lumbering along on the street in the Normal mode....when it is safe to do so, punch the Porsche Sport Response Button (PSRB) in the center of the 4 way rotary Sport Chrono switch on your steering wheel as you "floor" the accelerator, According to Porsche, 20 seconds incremental boost is on tap. You'll feel as if your "hair is on fire". Is the car making more HP? It would seem so, more boost generally equates to more HP. I suspect that what is happening is when the PSRB button is pushed, while in the Normal of Sport mode, the car goes into the Sport + mode for 20 seconds with 20 seconds of over-boost. If you push the PSRB while you are in the Sport + mode, don't expect much to follow. How do I know this? While on the track with a 1/2 mile straight in front of me, driving in the Sport + mode, I punched the PSRB eagerly anticipating the 20 seconds of "incremental over-boost" promised by Porsche as a result of pushing the button. .Nothing changed....so what I think happens is when you are driving/acceleratng in the Normal or Sport modes, a push of the button drops you into Sport + for up to 20 seconds.

I have a friend with a 991.2 Carrera S who lives in a somewhat rural area...He deploys this tactic when encountering slow, pesky drivers on the country roads, showing them his backside in the process. PSRB can be addicting....potentially it can also get you in trouble (Tickets, etc.) on the street.
Whoa whoa whoa, pump the brakes here. Hard. This is wildly incorrect for a stock car.

The sport response button in the 991.2 does not enable overboost or increase power, full stop. Per all the documentation I've seen from Porsche on this feature, it increases responsiveness (ergo Sport Response), not power, and it goes into detail about how exactly it achieves this. None of the tactics involve overboost or result in increased power, just improved transient throttle response. If that isn't enough for you, just look at the boost gauge when you're flooring it.

The only difference between Sport+ and using the Sport Response button is the rev limiter behaviour ("sport" instead of "active") and the PDK shifting behaviour (it's slightly sharper). It's the same throttle map as Sport+ and the same boost targets as Normal, Sport, and Sport+.
Old 08-29-2022, 03:34 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

There’s a device that some here have championed and all it does is increase the responsiveness, more throttle in less pedal travel.

You can save your money by just pressing harder on the pedal.

It isn’t more power, it just perceived as such.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:38 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BSO
There’s a device that some here have championed and all it does is increase the responsiveness, more throttle in less pedal travel.

You can save your money by just pressing harder on the pedal.

It isn’t more power, it just perceived as such.
The sprint booster! For when you want to spend $300+ to reduce throttle granularity! What a joke.
Old 08-30-2022, 02:57 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by 305/718
Depends on what you want to believe.

In all seriousness, not for the 991 but for a 997, my friend had bought a 997.2 Carrera S. It did not have the SC option, so basically he just had comfort mode. While the car was still amazing to drive, it was a night and day difference once he had gotten the SC option installed. The Sport mode with the additional response seemed to have totally transformed the car and made it much, much more fun to drive (Sport + is a little too much for mostly city driving). So, while there's likely no additional power added, the additional response makes it a good option to have.

On my 991.2, the throttle response is definitely better in sport mode, in comfort mode, I do notice a little bit of a lag if I suddenly floor it. So, no extra HP, but yes, extra performance (at least for the SC, don't think PSE adds much, other than pops and crackle).
Old 08-30-2022, 04:03 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Agree to disagree?

Originally Posted by asellus
Whoa whoa whoa, pump the brakes here. Hard. This is wildly incorrect for a stock car. The sport response button in the 991.2 does not enable overboost or increase power, full stop. Per all the documentation I've seen from Porsche on this feature, it increases responsiveness (ergo Sport Response), not power, and it goes into detail about how exactly it achieves this. None of the tactics involve overboost or result in increased power, just improved transient throttle response. If that isn't enough for you, just look at the boost gauge when you're flooring it. The only difference between Sport+ and using the Sport Response button is the rev limiter behaviour ("sport" instead of "active") and the PDK shifting behaviour (it's slightly sharper). It's the same throttle map as Sport+ and the same boost targets as Normal, Sport, and Sport+.
Let me first clarify, "asellus" is one of my favorer Rennlist posters. His article on recalibrating the temp display on the 991.2 was invaluable...and note, my 991.2 now reports out temps in "real time". His posts are always interesting and informative, I may have been dead wrong in my assumption that engaging the Sport Response Button provides 20 seconds of over-post....pressing the button does indeed do something. According to Porsche Press Information Bulletin, NAIAS 2016, January 11 - 24, " Another new feature of the Sport Chrono Package is the Sport Response button at the center of the mode switch. Inspired by motor racing, it preconditions the engine and gearbox for the best possible responsiveness at the push of a button. In this state, the vehicle can produce optimal acceleration for up to 20 seconds, such as for an overtaking maneuver. An indicator in the instrument cluster in the form of a running timer shows the driver the elapsed time. Sport Response functionality can be called up as often as desired and from any of the driving modes."

One last note from personal experience, I was at the track in Sport + mode in my 17 GTS, coming out of a corner on to the longest straight, I was eagerly anticipating that incremental power hinted at by Porsche. The throttle was all the way to the floor, and I pressed the PSRB....eagerly anticipating that 20 seconds of increased power! Guess what? Nothing, nada.....I suspect that had I been in the Normal or Sport mode, all I would have accomplished would be a drop down to the Sport + mode.

Last edited by Martin S.; 08-30-2022 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-30-2022, 04:30 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Martin, for the purposes of "increased performance" and to keep out of the weeds of technical details, the sport response button simply keeps the turbos ever so slightly spooled. This is absolutely identical to running in Sport+ mode. There is no additional power to be realized over any other drive mode, you just reach peak boost a fraction of a second sooner when you suddenly decide to floor it. The peak boost is the same in every drive mode.

The chart below from the SIT illustrates the only two differences sport response gives you -- a "rev limiter" being "sport" instead of "active" and the PDK shift behaviour being modified. The rev limiter one is confusing, I'm guessing it either forces 2-step or changed from a soft to a hard rev limit? I doubt it changes the actual RPM the limiter is enforced at, but I haven't tested that.

The following 5 users liked this post by asellus:
Gripster (09-02-2022), Martin S. (08-30-2022), mc3456 (08-31-2022), thesaintusa (08-30-2022), XLR82XS (08-31-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 04:41 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

"asellus" has once again cleared the BS fog from my brain with his recent post. NOW I get how the PSRB really works....finally.

Thanks "asellus"...you deserve an award for your posts, always so helpful, so factual with back up documentation!😁👍🔥⚡️

Quick Reply: PSE & Chrono. What’s the true story? Extra HP??