Sponsored by:

Service Recommendation Compliance

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 07:24 PM
lazyoldawg
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Service Recommendation Compliance

I am getting automated messages from the dealer to bring my 911T in for annual service (its a 2018 model so in this case the 4 year service). This caught my attention because it had just come out of 30k mi. service (which I agreed to do on their rec, even though it has <15k mi). Given the relatively light use and recent mileage interval service, this seems OTT under the circumstances. But my question is, do I need to do this in order to maintain the warranty or for some other reason not obvious to me?
Old 08-24-2022, 07:59 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 479 Posts

First question is how many miles have you driven since your last service? 991.2 Carreras require spark plug changes at 4 years or 30k mile intervals. So if you haven't yet hit 30k actual miles, but your car is in it's 4th year of use, then you are in fact due for spark plugs. Oil and misc stuff like cabin filters, wipers, etc are typically every year or 10k miles. Brake fluid every 2 years. Open and read your service manual carefully. It details it all.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:25 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,201 Likes on 606 Posts

Lots of people defer maintenance based on time, but there are risks of doing so. Some items are probably safer to defer longer than other. However, for the least amount of problems, performing recommended maintenance on time is the way to go. It also helps when it comes time to sell. I certainly wouldn’t judge anyone with a low use weekend toy who postponed something a few months to fit better into budget/schedule, but if a car sat for 5+ years without ever being touched, I’d be a bit concerned when looking at that used car.
Old 08-25-2022, 10:05 AM
ktnielsen
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 47 Posts

I bought a used 911. Ensuring the maintenance intervals were followed regardless of miles was important to which car I selected. So I’m inclined to follow the maintenance intervals by age. I changed my plugs at 4 years 3 months and 24k. BTW I think the air filter is a 4 year interval and I went ahead and changed the drive belt while the back of the car was off. In addition, I was able to check how much oil was in the passenger side turbo. I have not been happy with the service of my local dealership and searching out a competent indie has been much more forgiving on my wallet.
Old 08-25-2022, 11:50 AM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by lazyoldawg
I am getting automated messages from the dealer to bring my 911T in for annual service (its a 2018 model so in this case the 4 year service). This caught my attention because it had just come out of 30k mi. service (which I agreed to do on their rec, even though it has <15k mi). Given the relatively light use and recent mileage interval service, this seems OTT under the circumstances. But my question is, do I need to do this in order to maintain the warranty or for some other reason not obvious to me?
I think it depends. How many miles are you at right now, when did you do the 30k mi service and what was done? When does your warranty end?

Quick Reply: Service Recommendation Compliance