Oil level above maximum possible to drive on

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 03:59 PM
_Pat_
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Oil level above maximum possible to drive on

Hi all!

Has anyone ever seen this message "Oil level above maximum possible to drive on"?

Just had my oil changed and wondering what would cause it. I did (very slowly) drive over the largest speed pump ever, so I'm wondering if that triggered the sensor perhaps?

My guess is that there is a touch too much oil, but wanted to check with everyone here.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2022, 04:37 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

I've had this before. I don't recall the exact message, I'm sure someone here will know exactly, but yours sounds more dire than the one I got. Mine was something like 'Oil level too high, limited performance, service ASAP'. It was just a touch overfull. I have heard if it's excessively overfilled the message changes.

If I were you, I'd take it back to the service center that performed the oil change so they can address it. Shops not experienced may not know it takes some time for the oil level sensors to properly read oil level.
Old 08-15-2022, 05:11 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 425 Posts

First, check the oil level gauge on your MFD just to validate. If indeed overfilled, I would seriously evaluate whether or not you want to bring it to the same shop to have them correct it. Ultimately, it's an easy fix. You could drain just a little of the oil and then add back as indicated by the fill level on the MFD or you can start over completely which means drain all of the oil out and fill it correctly. But if you bring it to original shop, obviously they should do it at no charge.
Old 08-15-2022, 06:38 PM
jeffleept
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

As long as it's a reputable shop, bring it back. They have to empty and re-fill, I don't know if it's possible to drain a little bit. A lazy mechanic might try to back out the plug and shove it back re-using the crush washer (which they hopefully won't do).
Back in the time of dipsticks you could extract some from the tube with a Mityvac, but we don't have that option now.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:52 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 569 Posts

I accidently overfilled by about 1/3 of a quart. I drained a touch and it was all good. But I have a stahlbus oil drain plug so it was super easy. Depending on the angle of vehicle it would sporadically come and go. But it is pretty easy to over fill our cars. The sensor is pretty sensitive, but assuming you used a standard drain plug with one time use washer you either have to drain all the oil or if you have spare drain plug and washer on hand you can quickly do a swap from under the car and the oil you lose will be just enough to get the car to the proper levels.

https://www.stahlbus-us.com/oil-drain-valve/
Old 08-15-2022, 08:55 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,141 Likes on 684 Posts

This happened to me a few years back when I changed the oil. Called a dealer and they said I needed to start from scratch and drain all the oil as the drain plug washer would not seal properly if you loosened it to do a partial oil drain. Rennlisters here said dealer suggestion was hogwash. I wound up doing a partial drain - unscrewed the plug enough for about 1 cup to drain, then retorqued the drain plug. I had no issues.

Having an overfill of oil is a no-no.

Since you paid to have it done, I'd go back and have them fix it.

Last edited by Porsche_nuts; 08-16-2022 at 05:28 AM.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:24 AM
_Pat_
Intermediate

Thanks all for the replies. I'm bringing it back tomorrow AM to have a little oil drained, but will insist the crush washer be replaced (thanks Jeff).

Was trying out a new garage close by -- a little disappointed they couldn't nail an oil change.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:38 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,034 Likes on 4,873 Posts

Just drive it.

It'll go away on its own after a few days.

Most likely moisture build up.

Don't waste your time going back.
Old 08-16-2022, 02:57 AM
BondJ
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 221 Posts

I bought my current Porker from an OPC two years ago. Had this same warning flash up on the drive home. Turns out it had been overfilled by more than a litre at the pre-purchase service. And that was a Porsche dealer! Sloppy, but it happens.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:21 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by _Pat_
Thanks all for the replies. I'm bringing it back tomorrow AM to have a little oil drained, but will insist the crush washer be replaced (thanks Jeff).

Was trying out a new garage close by -- a little disappointed they couldn't nail an oil change.
Def an easy mistake to make as it takes a drive cycle to get the electronic oil level to register a reading or perhaps a super long idle. Typically I use a full 7 quarts to mid level on the oil meter reading, but this last time it went one line over the max and I think it's because I only let it drain for about 10-20 mins versus my typical 45-60 mins. It takes FOREVER to drain everything out of that pan.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:03 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
Typically I use a full 7 quarts to mid level on the oil meter reading,
Same here. I put in less than max, start the car and let it idle. Takes anywhere from 30-40 minutes idling until the level indicator is active. The top it off. Both a local P-car performance shop, and local dealer said this is the procedure they use on the newer cars.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:24 AM
ICNU
Pro

Received 402 Likes on 245 Posts

One trick to solve this issue is to just remove the filter housing and dump the oil in it out. In many cases its just a small amount of excess oil triggering the warning from the sensor, and dumping the housing 1-2 times is all that is needed vs draining it all out and starting over.

Last edited by ICNU; 08-16-2022 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:50 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,141 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by ICNU
One trick to solve this issue is to just remove the filter housing and dump the oil in it out. In many cases its just a small amount of excess oil triggering the warning from the sensor, and dumping the housing 1-2 times is all that is needed vs draining it all out and starting over.
Wouldn't that make a huge mess??

When I change my oil, removing the filter and housing is the last thing I do so the oil in the filter has drained, and thus no mess.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:26 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 410 Posts

I had this once and I just removed my drain plug for a brief moment and then reinstalled.

I now have an oil extractor for my boat so I'd probably try the extractor through the oil fill if I did this again.

I now stop after 7qt's and for the 1st few drives I add a few ml at a time until I get it one block below the fill line (2 blocks on the gauge) on the 991.1.

Last edited by CSK 911 C4S; 08-16-2022 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:03 PM
_Pat_
Intermediate

Hi all,

Went by the garage today, and they drained and refilled a little less with the same issue. Now it's actually telling me it's very low and I need to add oil! LOL

Feels like the oil level sensor is busted and needs to be replaced.

Quick Reply: Oil level above maximum possible to drive on