Oil level above maximum possible to drive on

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 03:07 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 930 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by _Pat_
Hi all,

Went by the garage today, and they drained and refilled a little less with the same issue. Now it's actually telling me it's very low and I need to add oil! LOL

Feels like the oil level sensor is busted and needs to be replaced.
No...each line on that meter is very little amount of oil. If you add 1/4 - 1/3 quart it will move quite a bit.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:10 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,125 Likes on 672 Posts

300 mil or about 1/3 quart (as Joe noted) will move the electronic gauge one segment.

I keep my oil level on the 3rd or 4th segment, never at max.

Last edited by Porsche_nuts; 08-16-2022 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:22 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
300 mil or about 1/3 quart (as Joe noted) will move the electronic gauge one segment.

I keep my oil level on the 3rd or 4th segment, never at max.
Its been mentioned that its 200ml per line.

Learn to change the oil yourself. This is the easiest car that I have own regarding oil changes.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:48 PM
_Pat_
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

They added the same amount of oil and now it's telling me it needs oil on the last bar. I tend to agree the sensor may be the issue here.

Old 08-16-2022, 03:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,858 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Hi all,

Went by the garage today, and they drained and refilled a little less with the same issue. Now it's actually telling me it's very low and I need to add oil! LOL

Feels like the oil level sensor is busted and needs to be replaced.
just leave it alone.

better to overfill by a little than to underfill.

give it a few days and it'll settle.
Old 08-16-2022, 05:49 PM
ICNU
Pro

Received 401 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Wouldn't that make a huge mess??

When I change my oil, removing the filter and housing is the last thing I do so the oil in the filter has drained, and thus no mess.
Not at all. The only thing that comes out is what is sitting in the filter canister at the time. Just drop it down and dump it, then reinstall. Its not as if the oil pump is running forcing the rest of the oil out of the filter mount.

Many times the amount sitting in the canister is all that is needed to stop the warning, and this is a common DIY trick to resolve it on any car assuming it hasn't been massively overfilled. Ive only had to deal with once so far personally, and I had to dump the canister, reinstall and start the car for a few seconds to fill it up again and then dump a second time. Still better than draining it all out and starting over IMO.

Last edited by ICNU; 08-16-2022 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:19 AM
Dark_horse
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 48 Posts

Before when my oil changes ever free from the dealer and I had them do it. They overfilled the engine oil one time. I picked up the car and right away when I drove it and it went past 3k rpm the engine/car would start shaking like vibrating hard. I took it back right away and they took out some oil since it was filled up too much. The car afterwards drove just fine. I do my oil changes now.
Old 08-17-2022, 04:39 PM
JimEb
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Crush washers are just a piece of aluminum. Why would you really need to put a new one on? I’d expect the soft, thin aluminum just deforms/conforms as you tighten the drain plug so wouldn’t it just keep deforming/conforming as long as it still had some thickness?
Old 08-17-2022, 05:27 PM
JimEb
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Reece Harvath
simply put
it only crushes once
But does it? It’s just a flat piece of aluminum. They aren’t shaped with a crushable geometry like spark plug washers. Just wonder if the concern is work hardening potentially causing the washer to crack. But the tiny amount a crush washer is deformed likely wouldn’t make that a factor.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:44 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,125 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by JimEb
But does it? It’s just a flat piece of aluminum. They aren’t shaped with a crushable geometry like spark plug washers. Just wonder if the concern is work hardening potentially causing the washer to crack. But the tiny amount a crush washer is deformed likely wouldn’t make that a factor.
As noted, I overfilled, drained, and retorqued with the same crush washer. No issues, except when I changed the oil the following year, the washer deformed so much it was nearly impossible to remove from the drain plug. I wound up using a new plug that I had.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:05 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 451 Likes on 334 Posts

If its massively overfilled then you need to fully drain. Porsche are notorious for their slow drain. My Indy always fills .5 quart less and then tops up as needed. This is a pain with the electronic dip stick. That's why the labor is longer than you would suspect. Either educate who changed your oil or use someone who regularly does Porsches. I do NOT recommend trying to drain a small amount from the drain plug, especially if the oil is hot. I've seen a mechanic get a pretty severe burn doing that with hot engine oil. If it persists after a day or two of driving, dropping the oil filter canister is probably the best way. As already stated the drain plug does not technically have a crush washer. It is an aluminum or copper alloy that I suspect is softer than the plug and the pan. Do not over torque the drain plug. After inspection I regularly reuse.

I had a 987.2 massively overfilled by two quarters. I had supplied the right number of quarters, so makes me wonder if he used bulk and not my oil. Went back and had them drain 1 qt. Still got the over fill message. The Indy refused to further drain the car. Went to Jiffy Lube with a clean graduated container and had them drain all the oil. It was still a quart over. Took a picture of the container showing the amount and refilled the proper amount. I went back to the Indy and talked to the owner who refused to drain the oil. It was not a two way conversation. Showed him the picture. Told him both he and his employees were unprofessional and incompetent. Spread the word for others not to use. Later talked to the shop manager who apologized, but in so many words agreed with me. He could not explain were the extra two quarts came from

Last edited by Kitc2246; 08-17-2022 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-17-2022, 10:48 PM
_Pat_
Intermediate

Now the car is telling me there is too little oil and it's at the minimum even though they put the same amount back in.

We're going to change the oil sensor Monday -- keep you posted!
Old 08-18-2022, 06:04 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,858 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Like I said.

There is nothing to worry about.

The oil sensor is very sensitive and finicky, give it a few days after you've changed oil to allow it to settle down.

The more you try to "fix" it the more it's going to give you false readings.

Just leave it alone.
Old 08-18-2022, 09:09 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 498 Posts

Now the car is telling me there is too little oil and it's at the minimum even though they put the same amount back in.

We're going to change the oil sensor Monday -- keep you posted!
Drive it this weekend and see how things go. I might just sort itself out.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:38 PM
_Pat_
Intermediate

So ended up changing the oil sensor which made the problem go away.

Now I have a new problem. When I changed the oil they did my spark plugs and air filters.

Started the car today and noticed a weird smell. Then when I took it out again later it smelt like gas on the driver's side.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Oil level above maximum possible to drive on