Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2022 | 06:57 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LWG
If you have never been to the track, stock is just fine. Just change the fluid.
I know you like to be contrary. Tracking means different things to different people.

Here we have what is called “Open pit lane.” That means you pit when you want and stay out as long as you want.”
Its very different to 20min sessions or 1 warm up, 5 hot laps and one cool down days

I’m no pro, which probably means i am harder on the equipment. I am there for the fun and the thrill to test myself and my car and explore the limits of both.
In the heat of fun, frequently someone joins in. Either you catch them and they refuse to yield, or they try to lock onto your tail. What generally happens is, you get caught up in the cat and mouse enjoying it so much, that many laps go by. Temperatures rise. Stock pads easily surpass their intended heat range and start to wear excessively fast.

I fitted brand new OEM pads and tracked the next day.
On the third 20 minute stint, I heard a grinding noise. I thought that sounds like pads? It couldn’t be, they were brand new. I pitted and the guys behind me said, “Every time i hit the brakes there was a cloud of grey dust pluming from the car. “. The car was relatively stock then. Driving home 200km’s trying not to use the brakes, was not fun.
I cringed everytime i had to brake. I’ll never run stock oads again.

Never again with any other pad, have i used a full set on half a track day. The worst was 4 full track days. Even now with a total monster I get at least four full track days.

But yes, if someone is brand new, first time at track, the stock pad may be fine. But it still will experience rapid accelerated wear.

I boiled the stock fluid on the street in the first week of ownership. SRF and its never happened again.
No matter which car I have, or how many laps i pull, I have never boiled SRF.
Good fluid is a must. Braided lines help with feel. ME20’s are a great start. Many will never need more than that. Only the hard core track rats will want more. Then N35S.
I’m waiting on my front RE10’s to arrive. The rear ones are hear.

I look forward to trying to test their limits. PS I never found the limits of N35S, so RE10’s have big shoes to fill.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 09-09-2022 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-09-2022 | 10:34 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

@4 Point 0 Thanks for the feedback.

Any thoughts on the MX72? ME20s are hard to come by, but can source the MX72. Expect that the MX72 will be better than stock and not as good as the ME20.

Will try traction control off and just drive more cautiously, but still get on the brakes
Old 09-12-2022 | 12:19 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thesaintusa

Any thoughts on the MX72? ME20s are hard to come by, but can source the MX72. Expect that the MX72 will be better than stock and not as good as the ME20.

Will try traction control off and just drive more cautiously, but still get on the brakes
I’ve tried the newer version of MX72 called MX72+.

They really are more of a street/sport pad.

More for someone who only tracks once a year.

The ME20 are far more capable pad. They can handle the heat and will last a lot longer on the track.

Old 09-12-2022 | 12:24 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thesaintusa

I was hesitant to switch it fully off at first. Thinking I would spin out all the time. It was the exact opposite.
The car is fully composed, and very settled.

I know journo’s say you can’t feel the T/C intervention, well let me tell you, when you turn it off, you are shocked at how much it was unnecessarily intervening.

When you feel how pure it is with it off, you realise that the car was nervous with it on. Panicking at the slightest bit of nothing. Over rearing and always grabbing the rear brake unnecessarily.

I feel as if there is far less to do with it off, because you are no longer sensing a disturbance in the force. 🤣

Old 09-12-2022 | 02:01 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
I was hesitant to switch it fully off at first. Thinking I would spin out all the time. It was the exact opposite.
The car is fully composed, and very settled.

I know journo’s say you can’t feel the T/C intervention, well let me tell you, when you turn it off, you are shocked at how much it was unnecessarily intervening.

When you feel how pure it is with it off, you realise that the car was nervous with it on. Panicking at the slightest bit of nothing. Over rearing and always grabbing the rear brake unnecessarily.

I feel as if there is far less to do with it off, because you are no longer sensing a disturbance in the force. 🤣
Thanks.

You can definitely feel the rear having brakes applied, esp when unloading the rear in an off camber corner and smell the brakes as they tried to grab while under WOT.

The car definitely stayed straight and on the track, but it was definitely evident that it was being reined in at times. Obviously it was happening more than I realized as a new set of rear pads lasted 1 day while the fronts are still at 80%. Am looking forward to another track day, but not until next year. Still impressed that it only took 1 day.

Appreciate your thoughts on the Endless pads. Will likely only get 2 or 3 days tops next season on the track so leaning towards the MX72+ pads. When rotors need replacing will upgrade at that point, or when I exceed the braking of the car.
The following users liked this post:
4 Point 0 (09-12-2022)

Quick Reply: brake question