Testing Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 03:48 PM
straka
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
This is huge.

The majority of electric testers out there are absolute trash. The single-use test strips are going to be your best bet.
Yes I read the user reviews on the cheap electric testers and they were deemed to be junk.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:47 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 540 Posts

What is considered a good brake fluid tester?

For those with electronic brake fluid tester, you could see how off it is by using some left over unused brake fluid when changing it out or buying a new bottle and adding water. Someone check my math but wouldn’t using 100ml of new fluid with 2ml of water be 2% on electronic reader? You could then add 1ml at a time and see if 3 ml of water registers on the tester. I volunteer someone with an electronic tester to do this. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:52 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
For those with electronic brake fluid tester, you could see how off it is by using some left over unused brake fluid when changing it out or buying a new bottle and adding water. Someone check my math but wouldn’t using 100ml of new fluid with 2ml of water be 2% on electronic reader? You could then add 1ml at a time and see if 3 ml of water registers on the tester. I volunteer someone with an electronic tester to do this. Thanks in advance.
I thought about doing exactly this before buying mine a few days ago since I spent a good chunk of time in an electrical standards lab. But it might not be so easy. How well will the water droplet be absorbed into the brake fluid...evenly? It would probably be better as a vapour and added very slowly. I might try it though.

Quick Reply: Testing Brake Fluid