Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2022 | 05:07 PM
Fredie
Rennlist Member

Cool. thank you! Really nice looking T.
Old 07-21-2022 | 09:38 AM
Jim981CS
Pro

I have several floor jacks including a HF Pittsburg low profile 2-3/8” to 23” that I use to set my Unijack stands. I have two 2 ton (up to 18” high) and two 3 ton (up to 21” high) that lets me adjust the heights to get more complete oil drains and extra height for header installation. I typically use the shorter ones on the front if I am working on the back. It’s longer to set up than a quick jack but gives better access under the car.
Jim

Old 08-05-2022 | 03:41 PM
JokerMmmHmm
Cruisin'

@shyamvenky Do you have a preference between QuickJacks or the Jackpoint stands? If you had to pick 1?

Last edited by JokerMmmHmm; 08-05-2022 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-05-2022 | 04:11 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Other than JackPoint, you can get all the 3 corners off the car off the ground. For the 4th corner, you will need to find a point on the car where you can lift the car and slip a jack in. There are many opinions as to what is the best jacking point for #4. With JackPoint, this challenge does not occur. Jack up a side at a time using Factory jacking points, for all 4 corners. There is 0 chance the car can ever slip off the jack stand with JackPoints. I have a set of 2 JackPoints...don't plan on having all for corners up at one time.

I saw there were JackPoints for sale on RENNLIST classifieds. That's where I got mine as JackPoint Factory was on back order due to supply chain problems.

As seen below, if you have the space and the budget, QuickJack is THE solution. BUT, you'll be doing the jacking in one spot, there's no toting it around. Portability is important to some, me being one of those. I can get 2 JackPoint jack stands into the Frunk, as well as a RENNtorq device to help change out my center locks, a standard 1/2 " torque wrench as well as other paraphernalia needed to change out center locks. When the budget allows (Not now being in the middle of a remodel), I'll get a QuickJack.

Last edited by Martin S.; 08-05-2022 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-05-2022 | 04:41 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JokerMmmHmm
@shyamvenky Do you have a preference between QuickJacks or the Jackpoint stands? If you had to pick 1?
I think it comes down to how much you're willing to spend and how big of a job you do on the car.
For casual brake work, oil change, exhaust work etc Jackpoint stands are more than enough.
I actually started out with Jackpoint stands only - and have done multiple oil changes, brake jobs with them and recently exhaust work too.

Then over Covid, my company offered me money to buy "hobby tools" as part of the perks I was debating between a quickjack and a nice tablesaw.
HomeDepot had a deep discount here for the quickjack and that's how I ended up getting one (~900 or so for the 5000 - watch for deals by costco, HD etc as its way higher otherwise).
Left to myself, I may not even have gotten a quickjack I'm not a heavy wrencher, but I've enjoyed using it for stuff I do.

If price is not a big criterion, I'd vote for the Quickjack - no more dragging a heavy jack around and pumping it.
With a jack, you have to be very careful when the car is off-balance in the process etc.
Quickjack avoids a lot of the physical trouble (this stuff is heavy too.. but if you store it on the floor like I do, then you won't have to drag it around)
There are still precautions, but your car will always be level when its being lifted, when its in the air and when its being lowered.
And also, you can raise the car in a slightly narrower space (no jack on the side that you need space for the handle to swing).

The following users liked this post:
EvilBoffin (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022 | 07:05 PM
JokerMmmHmm
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
I think it comes down to how much you're willing to spend and how big of a job you do on the car.
For casual brake work, oil change, exhaust work etc Jackpoint stands are more than enough.
I actually started out with Jackpoint stands only - and have done multiple oil changes, brake jobs with them and recently exhaust work too.

Then over Covid, my company offered me money to buy "hobby tools" as part of the perks I was debating between a quickjack and a nice tablesaw.
HomeDepot had a deep discount here for the quickjack and that's how I ended up getting one (~900 or so for the 5000 - watch for deals by costco, HD etc as its way higher otherwise).
Left to myself, I may not even have gotten a quickjack I'm not a heavy wrencher, but I've enjoyed using it for stuff I do.

If price is not a big criterion, I'd vote for the Quickjack - no more dragging a heavy jack around and pumping it.
With a jack, you have to be very careful when the car is off-balance in the process etc.
Quickjack avoids a lot of the physical trouble (this stuff is heavy too.. but if you store it on the floor like I do, then you won't have to drag it around)
There are still precautions, but your car will always be level when its being lifted, when its in the air and when its being lowered.
And also, you can raise the car in a slightly narrower space (no jack on the side that you need space for the handle to swing).
Thanks! Exactly the insight I need
Old 08-07-2022 | 08:06 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Quick Jack is very nice to have. $999 at Costco was a no brainer. They did have a bad batch of leaking air cylinders but that seems to have been sorted out.
Old 08-08-2022 | 01:32 AM
straka
Racer

Originally Posted by Jack F
Quick Jack is very nice to have. $999 at Costco was a no brainer. They did have a bad batch of leaking air cylinders but that seems to have been sorted out.
My Quickjack was a piece of crap. Leaking air cylinder. It was a $1000 mistake that is sitting in my garage collecting dust.
Old 08-08-2022 | 09:45 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by straka
My Quickjack was a piece of crap. Leaking air cylinder. It was a $1000 mistake that is sitting in my garage collecting dust.
Why not return it? or have it repaired?
Old 08-08-2022 | 10:33 AM
straka
Racer

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
Why not return it? or have it repaired?
Out of warranty. Purchased it new just before an extended time for two hip replacements and recovery. Two years later unboxed the Quick Jack for the first time to discover the air cylinder problem, Quick Jack said you're out of warranty. I tried new Schrader valves and that didn't help. Trying different methods of sealing the air valves didn't help. Also the hydraulic fittings continue to leak fluid no matter what type of sealant is used on them. Typical poor Chinese quality and poor customer support. One air cylinder looses about 80% air pressure in 15 minutes the other looses about 30% in one hour. I believe the air pressure cylinders allows the Quick Jack to lower so I don't want to find myself with my car locked in the lifted position or have the Quick Jack dangerously lower at an uneven rate between the lifts.

Last edited by straka; 08-08-2022 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-08-2022 | 11:02 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by straka
Out of warranty. Purchased it new just before an extended time for two hip replacements and recovery. Two years later unboxed the Quick Jack for the first time to discover the air cylinder problem, Quick Jack said you're out of warranty. I tried new Schrader valves and that didn't help. Trying different methods of sealing the air valves didn't help. Also the hydraulic fittings continue to leak fluid no matter what type of sealant is used on them. Typical poor Chinese quality and poor customer support. One air cylinder looses about 80% air pressure in 15 minutes the other looses about 30% in one hour. I believe the air pressure cylinders allows the Quick Jack to lower so I don't want to find myself with my car locked in the lifted position or have the Quick Jack dangerously lower at an uneven rate between the lifts.
Unfortunate.

Depending on when you bought it, and how you paid (credit card), that the warranty is often extended with a CC.

The CC I use doubles the warranty period, which has come in handy a few times for various purchases.
Old 08-08-2022 | 11:12 AM
straka
Racer

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
Unfortunate.

Depending on when you bought it, and how you paid (credit card), that the warranty is often extended with a CC.

The CC I use doubles the warranty period, which has come in handy a few times for various purchases.
Thanks for your advice but too much time has elapsed.
Old 08-08-2022 | 11:13 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

I use this jack and pad
https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...ACHYD1_pg4.htm
https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...ACHYD1_pg7.htm
4 of these stands
https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...ESCOJS_pg2.htm
These jacking pucks fit perfectly
Amazon Amazon

Starting in the rear corner side insert the puck it is possible to jack it where the front wheel will come up high enough to place front corner on a jack stand.
Repeat this on the opposite side and then you have both the front wheels up on the stands.
Next I jack up the rear from the center of the rear cross member and place stands/pucks under the rear corners.
Works like a charm.

Quick Reply: Show me your innovative floor jacking methods