Centerlock wheel swap...surprises (4)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 11:32 AM
markk222
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RennListUser01
So, $2200 to rotate your wheels/tires?

Yeah - seriously, is there a better advertisement for lug bolts vs centerlock?

OK - quick ... what is the advantage of centerlock?

Sigh.
Not even close, just pick up a good 1/2 drive with a breaker bar combo. About 200.00 for the wrench set. It's not that hard to hit the 440ft lbs with the size of the breaker bar. And never, ever use a torque wrench to break them down, always use the bar!. First time was intimidating, but after that it's a cake walk. Only big worry is getting a flat and not having the tool if you have to hit a tire shop.
Old 07-25-2022, 03:49 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
Suspect the wheels should be fine, but would be worried about the fasteners / hub assembly.

Thanks for sharing, always good to read teaching moments.
Next wheel swap out, my pal and I are rebuilding the center locks with Suncoast Porsche's Center Lock Spare Parts Kit: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PKG2CLSPARES.html. As mentioned too many times before, we have a RENNtorque device, a wheel alignment tool bought from a Rennlister, and a nice 48" breaker bar just in case we encounter a relictant non-cooperative center lock nut, and of course we have our JackPoint jack stands and plenty of Castrol aluminum paste. Based on my past most pleasant experience with RENNtorq, I am really looking forward to the wheel swap, really!

The "Central Lock ..." linl below, contains all the information one will need when changing and maintaining center locks. A most gtacious RENNLISTER posted this recently. It has numerous AaaaHaaa moments contained therein.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Central wheel lock.pdf (1.03 MB, 70 views)

Last edited by Martin S.; 07-25-2022 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:50 PM
Curious Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd Gaine
Lighter than regular nuts, less unsprung weight. Or so I have read.
Do you recall where or have a link?
Old 03-15-2023, 04:31 AM
Todd Gaine
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Curious Cat
Do you recall where or have a link?
After typing that, I looked for the reference and could not find it, so I decided not to post it. But I did. Apologies. If I find a (credible) reference, I will post it.
The following users liked this post:
Curious Cat (03-15-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 10:45 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default One more post...

Originally Posted by RennListUser01
So, $2200 to rotate your wheels/tires? Yeah - seriously, is there a better advertisement for lug bolts vs centerlock? OK - quick ... what is the advantage of centerlock? Sigh.
Those who buy the 997.2 GTS, the 991.1 GTS and 991.2 GTS cars, most of these cars were originally ordered with center locks. Those of us are/who are lucky enough to buy these cars (Used), will inherit center locks, like it or not. Folks who bought new could have spec'd 5 lugs. There features of the 991.2 center locks that many appreciate, or use these features to rationalize their displeasure with center locks:
  • They are forged aluminum,
  • They are nearly impossible to steal, need at least 440 lb-ft of torque to break them loose. The front wheels require a helper to hold the steering wheel steady addressing the torque put on them to break them loose. This forces the thief to break in the car possibly/hopefully setting off alarms.
  • Many feel that bring an exotic look to the GTS cars
  • On my 991.2 GTS, it comes with 9" front and 12" wide wheels, 1/2 wider than the 991.2 Carrera S. Cant's speculate on the 997.2 GTS and the 991.1 GTS.
If you have center locks and wish to change them out, be prepared to spend about $7,000 parts and labor. I have priced out this project and don't want to spend the money to change to 5 lugs, and at the same relinquish the benefits cited above.

Last edited by Martin S.; 03-15-2023 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-15-2023, 11:04 PM
PathfinderGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
If you have center locks and wish to change them out, be prepared to spend about $7,000 parts and labor. I have priced out this project and don't want to spend the money to change to 5 lugs, and at the same relinquish the benefits cited above.
Or spend $5K on a Hytorc tool and fix the problems with centerlocks.
Martin S. (03-16-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 10:15 PM
ihbond
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Those who buy the 997.2 GTS, the 991.1 GTS and 991.2 GTS cars, most of these cars were originally ordered with center locks. Those of us are/who are lucky enough to buy these cars (Used), will inherit center locks, like it or not. Folks who bought new could have spec'd 5 lugs. There features of the 991.2 center locks that many appreciate, or use these features to rationalize their displeasure with center locks:
  • They are forged aluminum,
  • They are nearly impossible to steal, need at least 440 lb-ft of torque to break them loose. The front wheels require a helper to hold the steering wheel steady addressing the torque put on them to break them loose. This forces the thief to break in the car possibly/hopefully setting off alarms.
  • Many feel that bring an exotic look to the GTS cars
  • On my 991.2 GTS, it comes with 9" front and 12" wide wheels, 1/2 wider than the 991.2 Carrera S. Cant's speculate on the 997.2 GTS and the 991.1 GTS.
yep, agreed with what you said...
for me I know it holds the torque better (proven, look it up). less breaking\snapping of the bolts, nice looks..Once you do it a. few times its not that hard (yea you could need 2 people) ..BTW 5 lugs...Its not like you carry a spare tire for the tire in the frunk. Anyways most tire stores that have n rated tires are typically capable of handling center lock (not always, but most of the time)..I am very picky of who changes my tires on the rims anyways......

but, for me that why I bought a GTS is for all those little nuances..and if I were looking to buy another GTS I would go back to center lock....

Last edited by ihbond; 03-16-2023 at 10:16 PM.
Martin S. (03-17-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 10:29 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

For those following/reading this post, read "ihbond" post above (Glance my my post too if you must.). At the end of "ihbond" post, which is a response to my post, you will know all you will ever want, or need to know about center locks. At that point you can unsubscribe from the thread.

In my case, I went from "I gotta get rid of these", and have decelerated to my present position of "Ho Hum". These wheels are just wheels, and I will need to remove, one or all, rarely. When it is necessary, I have the tools and have accumulated the knowledge to do so.

I feel that now is the time to inscribe to this thread and dream about future mods such as headers, possibly sport cats, diverter vales, etc.

Last edited by Martin S.; 03-17-2023 at 10:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Centerlock wheel swap...surprises (4)