Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 02:48 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 677 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 911T991
I've been experiencing something that sounded like an object sliding around below the dashboard under the driver's side tweeter area. The sound would only occur when the object would become dislodged when making abrupt changes in direction or while in high-G turns in the canyons. Sounds can be deceiving in terms of where they are coming from so it eventually occurred to me that it might be coming from something trapped in the underbody cover and resonating up into the dash area. I removed the underbody cover and it turns out there was quite a bit of gravel trapped in there. I haven't been able to replicate the sound so I think it has been resolved!

@12v Nick We chatted about this by phone on Friday. I thought it might have had something to do with my install of your tweeter kit but that is not the case!
Hey, thats awesome!

Glad you found the issue!

I was going crazy trying to think of where a sound like that could be coming from. Makes total sense that it would be the underbelly. We've pulled bumpers on these cars that have multiple handfuls of debris trapped inside — not surprising to see this.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-27-2023, 02:15 AM
denzaust815
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing this detailed guide on adding garage door opener buttons! Your <!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Step by Step instructions and the tools/parts list are really helpful. It's great to see how you've customized your setup. I'm sure this will be valuable for others looking to do the same modification.

Last edited by denzaust815; 10-27-2023 at 05:10 AM.
Old 10-28-2023, 07:46 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 319 Posts

Great thread! This needs to be up there with”common failures”.
Guess I’m just lucky cause I have absolutely nothing to add. 2015 Targa 4S approaching 75K miles without a single squeak, rattle, creak or buzz.
Old 11-30-2023, 02:55 PM
Bruh
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to let the OP know I made an account just to comment lol. Best Thread ever. A rattle is my worst nightmare, to a point I can hear it in the office. Imagine if every manufacturer had an official rattle fix brochure.

Now, please buy some other car brands
The following users liked this post:
MaddGTS (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 05:34 PM
HardRider
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Hey guys I don't have a picture but I found a rattle source that I thought it was my muffler. This will affect mostly pre 2019 cars but only 991.2's. On the passenger side waste gate valve on the turbo there is a steel shield that covers the waste gate connection. It rattles horribly on mine, just touch it with your finger it is very obvious. Driver side is dead silent. On newer 2018 plus cars the shield was converted to an enclosure so no rattle. On very early 2017 there wasn't a shield or enclosure. The sound I experienced as like the baffles in the muffler were loose, buzzing sound.
Old 11-30-2023, 05:36 PM
HardRider
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I eliminated a very annoying tick in my ear by stuffing a towel exactly where you noted. thanks it was driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by ram_g
Absolutely epic thread! Thanks so much @devtec!

My “newish to me” 2017 TTS has had a cacophony of interior sounds from the day I bought it. I got rid of a whole lot of these by doing the rear panel and the driver side C pillar per the instructions here. Didn’t do the passenger side at the same time in part because it seemed to rattle less, but mainly because squeezing my obese self into the back and then twisting this way and that had me discovering strained muscles in places where I didn’t know I had muscles.

Anyway, needless to say, fixing the driver side only accentuated the noises from the passenger side.

This weekend I finally tackled the passenger side C pillar. Some noises were reduced but a nasty rubbing and creaking remained. I investigated further and determined that the noises were from the passenger side rear side panel, well below the C pillar trim, which is not something that is mentioned in this thread. Further I found that stuffing a small microfiber towel in the gap between this side panel and the carpeted portion behind the seat bottom all but eliminated the noises (see pics attached). I do not yet know if the reduction in noise is because the cloth towel eliminates the rubbing, or if the thickness of the towel provides a tension to the clips holding the panel on such that noises are reduced.

Any suggestions to make this fix more robust? Obviously I can experiment on what to substitute for the piece of towel to retain the effect but hide it from view, but wondering if the OP or others have been down this path before and can share their wisdom!

Old 01-16-2024, 01:11 AM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 61 Posts

This is so helpful, I think it's where my sound is coming from! However after removing the B pillar trim I had a hard time getting to reinstalled. Is there a trick? Like seat the bottom or top edge first? I feel like the clip on the rear lower side against the small rear window isn't seating properly as that edge seems to have too much flex. But maybe it's supposed to be that way.

Originally Posted by wquiles
So on Sunday afternoon I did pull the B pillars out (they come out much easier now!) and added extra felt tape pretty much everywhere it was touching anything. Even put some around the two foam blocks and on the car (metal) side:

In the end, the B pillar is now pretty silent, and goes in "solid". But I still have the slight creak sound under torsion, so I am going to redo the C pillars next.

Will
Old 05-04-2024, 10:30 AM
trikcar
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am suffering with a rattle at 4k+ rpm in my 991.2 GT3 which is driving me mad. It's a manual transmission, and I believe is coming from the centre console area but is very difficult to pinpoint due to the volume levels of the car at that rev range. It is a loud rattle but very hard to locate. I guess I have to start pulling it apart to make progress, but the usual A/C controls don't seem to be the issue this time.
Old 05-04-2024, 11:09 AM
MingusDew
Burning Brakes

Received 1,084 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by trikcar
I am suffering with a rattle at 4k+ rpm in my 991.2 GT3 which is driving me mad. It's a manual transmission, and I believe is coming from the centre console area but is very difficult to pinpoint due to the volume levels of the car at that rev range. It is a loud rattle but very hard to locate. I guess I have to start pulling it apart to make progress, but the usual A/C controls don't seem to be the issue this time.
Download a tone generator on your phone, hook your phone to the car stereo, turn the stereo bass and volume up, then go through a wide frequency range until you find a resonant frequency for your vibration. That sometimes helps locating rattles.
The following users liked this post:
IRunalot (05-05-2024)

Quick Reply: My Quest for a Rattle/Buzz/Creak/Squeak-Free 991.2 Interior