Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK trans fluid leak only under track conditions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2022 | 05:00 PM
whiptav
AutoX

Default PDK trans fluid leak only under track conditions

My 991.1 c2s has developed a PDK trans fluid leak only during track driving. It does not leak during normal street driving. Dealer just now confirmed that but they do not know why or where from trans it is leaking. A service bulletin told them there are 17 different points that it could come from.

Does anyone have any knowledge of such a situation and where on trans leak may be coming from?

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by whiptav; 07-11-2022 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-10-2022 | 05:13 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Mods? Shoot a vid for the dealer?
Old 07-11-2022 | 12:55 PM
whiptav
AutoX

Thanks Jack. Dealer just confirmed today that it isnt engine oil but PDK trans fluid. It wasnt an engine oil leak like they said before. There is a service bulletin stating 17 different places it could be leaking from. At this point they havent any idea why or what part of trans is leaking and they dont seem to have any experience with it.
Dont know if you might have heard anything about that kind of leak? May just have to wait to see what they find this time.

Thanks
Scott
Old 07-11-2022 | 03:13 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whiptav
Thanks Jack. Dealer just confirmed today that it isnt engine oil but PDK trans fluid. It wasnt an engine oil leak like they said before. There is a service bulletin stating 17 different places it could be leaking from. At this point they havent any idea why or what part of trans is leaking and they dont seem to have any experience with it.
Dont know if you might have heard anything about that kind of leak? May just have to wait to see what they find this time.

Thanks
Scott
As with diagnosing any leak, clean it up until it's spotless, make the leak happen, then look where it's wet. Proceed accordingly. Helpful that there's a list of places that leaks can come from, that makes the search much easier. Are they keeping the car to recreate/investigate, or did they just kinda shrug at you and send you on your way?

Old 07-11-2022 | 05:43 PM
whiptav
AutoX

Yes, it was cleaned and totally spotless and I was able to make it leak again. This is how they could see it was PDK and not engine oil. They are still unable to tell exactly what is causing it so they are keeping car and say they have to lower the trans to inspect. Apparently they have not experienced this before.
Old 07-11-2022 | 05:49 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think there is a overflow or relief valve on top of the pdk, Could the valve be bad?
Old 07-11-2022 | 07:53 PM
whiptav
AutoX

Yes, i know that valve is there. You might be right. I will call them tomorrow and ask that.
Thanks
Old 07-12-2022 | 02:27 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Mine is a GT4 leaking at the seals at the half shafts. Trans needs to come out.
Old 07-12-2022 | 10:20 AM
whiptav
AutoX

The dealer has it out now. I will mention that to them.
Thanks
Old 09-15-2024 | 05:04 PM
esorensen
Rennlist Member

Any updates on this? Just had my ‘12 991.1 C2S puke PDK fluid after a 2 day HPDE… No faults or driving issues just noticed a spot of fluid where the car was parked. I pulled it out of the garage to wash all the track shize off and brake dust, etc. The tray that covers the PDK pan was coated with fluid. I just jacked it up and simple green sprayed everything and power washed it all off to clean.
Old 09-26-2024 | 05:52 PM
whiptav
AutoX

Default 991 C2S PDK leak

Yes, there is an update. Apparently there is no Porsche service bulletin on this or at least there was none when my leak occured. It took my dealer 3 attempts at fixing but finally got the right information. I dont know what mode you drive in but I track mine in sport plus and got black flagged 2 times. The dealer originally thought it was an oil leak onto the hot trans and after replacing valve covers and rear main seal they realized it was the PDK itself. According to them and Porsche, the only time this could happen is under high performance track conditions when ONLY using sport plus. They contend it will not happen in any other mode. The pressures build up so high as to push the fluid out of the venting at the top of the trans. The dealer is unable to duplicate those conditons on a road test.
Since the dealers are not allowed to open a PDK for repair I had to have a brand new one installed. Was not covered by warranty because of time and miles ( 55K) but they worked with me on discounts. Wound up about $13K even after discounts and credits for the wrong repairs.
Good Luck
Old 09-26-2024 | 06:33 PM
itbme
Instructor

Originally Posted by whiptav
Yes, there is an update. Apparently there is no Porsche service bulletin on this or at least there was none when my leak occured. It took my dealer 3 attempts at fixing but finally got the right information. I dont know what mode you drive in but I track mine in sport plus and got black flagged 2 times. The dealer originally thought it was an oil leak onto the hot trans and after replacing valve covers and rear main seal they realized it was the PDK itself. According to them and Porsche, the only time this could happen is under high performance track conditions when ONLY using sport plus. They contend it will not happen in any other mode. The pressures build up so high as to push the fluid out of the venting at the top of the trans. The dealer is unable to duplicate those conditons on a road test.
Since the dealers are not allowed to open a PDK for repair I had to have a brand new one installed. Was not covered by warranty because of time and miles ( 55K) but they worked with me on discounts. Wound up about $13K even after discounts and credits for the wrong repairs.
Good Luck
Out of curiosity, were you seeing the leak in this area? (right side rear wheel well)

Old 09-26-2024 | 07:09 PM
MPawelek
Racer

My 2014 Carrera 4S Cabriolet threw a transmission over heat code last month at 100F temps just driving down the freeway and then stopping at a long stop light for 2 minutes. Turned out the vent at the top of the transmission became plugged and the cap would not open and vent properly. There is no spring or mechanism in the cap. It just moves fore and aft about 1/16”. I asked the mechanic just how “plugged” it was and he said he only found a bit of dust inside. $4200 later…….

Last edited by MPawelek; 09-26-2024 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-26-2024 | 08:52 PM
whiptav
AutoX

No I never saw it there. Although at speed I am sure that some of the fluid could have been blown back there off of the PDK
The following users liked this post:
itbme (09-26-2024)
Old 09-28-2024 | 09:14 PM
esorensen
Rennlist Member

Check out Dead End Motorsports. Small retrofit kit that allows for the PDK vent to a proper reservoir. Interesting that some more track focused Porsche PDK models are equipped standard as such from the factory. Obviously this has been seen by Porsche and addressed, just not for the rank and file car. I’m also wondering if old(er) fluid has less foaming or less effective foaming agent? Another point is the PDK is cooled via heat exchanger from the engine coolant. Possibly the HE on the transmission has reached and subsequently surpassed thermal capacity in a track scenario? In any case, good justification for retrofitting the third (center) radiator in my personal car. My 12 year old (37000 mi) PDK fluid is probably due for replacement as well.

Quick Reply: PDK trans fluid leak only under track conditions