Received 401 Likes on 210 Posts

May I introduce you to Ferrari? 😂
The following users liked this post:
vanlieremead (06-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 01:33 AM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

im not a veteran P car owner by any means but don't recall this being a common issue i've heard of? by "common" i mean more then a handful of occurrences per model year. a handful of any problem can happen to any car at any time. sheet happens. sounds like you've had other issues as well so i get where you're coming from.

some cars have issues right outta the gates at production. so many parts on a car are made/designed to be installed nicely once. headliners are definitely on that list. clips and fasteners to interior pieces and garnish's are notorious for having this trait too. replacing them when removed is seldom/if ever done. not saying they can't be removed/put back correctly but they fit best/tightest the first time they are installed correctly. when removing such piece's, the utmost care needs to be taken if you have any hope of setting it back in correctly to fit right. if someone get sloppy, the piece will never fit securely again. similar to repainting exterior panels, this can often happen at the factory as well as in the wild (retail repair shops). very few people realize how many cars are "fixed" at the factory during production. i can recall a bad batch of wiring harness's causing the near complete tear down of over 300 units in the early 90's (Honda factory i worked at). feel sorry for who ever purchased those units. squeaks and rattles waiting to happen down the road and yes....the possibility of complete let go's/failures after many years (like yours)

who knows if this is the case with yours?. one thing for sure is something unusual caused it. regardless....really sucks to be the one stuck holding the bag. good luck moving forward.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:16 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

OP are you the original owner. If you are second or third owner, it is possible that the original owner took off the headliner to do some work and did a poor job on the reinstall. Just a thought.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:41 AM
sp330
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

If the headliner is the biggest issue with your Porsche and you’re mad about it, you won’t want to know what Mercedes has in store for you lol
The following 2 users liked this post by sp330:
GT3FZS (06-26-2022), maschinetheist (06-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 10:22 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,316 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by sp330
If the headliner is the biggest issue with your Porsche and you’re mad about it, you won’t want to know what Mercedes has in store for you lol
Constant coolant leaks, air-ride failure and refusal to cover repairs under CPO coverage....had two V8 AMGs at one point...they lasted 6 months....one went to Porsche and the other went to Audi.

Fix the headliner if that the worst of the issues.

Unfortunately every brand has issues, but for me, no more Mercedes even though I still have a soft spot for them.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:52 AM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 255 Posts

Truth! Just sold my 991.2 C4S Cab and really regret it. Was looking at a 2021 AMG E63s with 1,500 miles on it. Punched the VIN into KBB.com to check the asking price and 13 recalls popped up for that car…13!!!!!!
Old 06-26-2022, 12:32 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 205 Posts

Italians, always the Italians…
Thats funny. Could say the same about the Brits. I was in the market for a C8 and saw their headliners were dropping out of the factory at delivery.
Maybe a Ford? Our Edge keeps surprising me…
Old 06-26-2022, 02:00 PM
VII7
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Second owner, had the car for about 7 years now, there are no signs headliner was ever worked on and from the comments seems like a common issue for those of us without sunroof?
​​​​​
​​​​​​Not the only issue but it's the mediocrity of the issues that annoy me. Tbh it has not been an expensive car, most expensive thing was a PCM. The thing for me is if a cutting edge new thing fails then that comes with the territory but when you can't be bothered to get simple things right that annoys me.
Old 06-26-2022, 02:00 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

Every car brand has problems. I mean, sure, we all have anecdotes of a specific model that was extremely reliable. The best vehicle I ever owned was a 2014 GLK diesel. Zero issues, not even a creak or rattle... but again, that is just one data point.

The most problematic vehicle I've ever owned is my 991, but after 5 years of working through the issues, I've got it quite well sorted now and it would be a shame to give up on it after all that time, energy and expense. I'll keep it at least until the extended warranty on the transmission is expired (5 more years).
Old 06-26-2022, 04:37 PM
Eloas
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not better at Ferrari. I was thinking of buying a Ferrari 348 TB or TS or an F355. Lots of small plastic parts and dashboard that disintegrate in the heat over time. Fragile engine.. And ridiculously expensive Ferrari replacement parts as we can find the equivalent (non Ferrari part) in better quality for 3 to 5 times less expensive. So finally I bought a 991.1 Carrera S Sport chrono plus.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:51 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,488 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by VII7
My headliner just dropped while I was away for a week and car was sitting in the garage. This seals the deal for me, no more Porsche. While I do highly rate the dynamics and the sound the mediocre quality just annoys me too much.
​​
​​I'll see if I can get a date on a new SL or if I'm going to put up with crappy quality maybe I'll bite the bullet and get a used portofino.
​​​
Btw anyone know of an upholstery shop in Dallas with a good match for the black Alcantara?
If you are concerned about build quality I certainly wouldn't consider a portofino a step up
Old 06-27-2022, 08:31 AM
Thor's
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by VII7
Nothing too interesting but it completely let go from the center.
No work or anything has been done in the interior for years.
Dallas gets some heavy duty sun and heat over the summer… I can see the headliner drooping over the years as it ages. Especially if you have a dark colored car such as black. Out of curiosity, what color is the car?
Old 06-27-2022, 10:51 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

I've not had a car headliner fail like that since my 12 year old '82 Saab, many years ago. Like others have said, I would just get it fixed and drive on. It's still disappointing, though.

That being said, the door card issue is ridiculous - I have seen SO MANY 911s and Boxsters/Caymans with this issue, it's crazy. Porsche has really failed in this regard.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:46 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

Same thing happened to my 2006 Cayman S after 12 years.. Yeah, environmentally friendly glues, like the door panel issue. Wife's Land rover did that too...
Feel free to do what you please, but that's pretty much a problem for all brands that follow the new green rules (and no extra clips I guess). Not a hard problem to fix.
I'm more annoyed by non repairable gearboxes or engines lunching themselves. Besides you are screwed now, there are no other car brands that provide Porsche's level of balance on steering feel, brake feel, handling, feedback all around. Anything else you get will feel Blah in one way or another ;-)

Last edited by Greg D.; 06-27-2022 at 12:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (06-28-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 03:53 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Sucks but there is no such thing as a perfect car unfortunately.

The heat that builds up in these interiors is incredible. Adhesive's, foams, etc are not always rated for long life at these temperatures.

Quick Reply: Well F***