Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace O2 sensor and wiring 991.1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2022 | 09:47 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Default How to replace O2 sensor and wiring 991.1 ?

Hello all

I am regretfully starting a new thread in hopes to get some help on a semi-nightmare I have been dealing with for last 3 days. I did try to make the title search-friendly for future members/searches.

Car in question is a '16 GTS with 34K miles

I am replacing Stock headers with Soul Sport/street Headers, everything went as expected, even the dreaded exhaust bolts came off easily, but I got stuck at O2 sensors.

none of the sensors are budging, I have tried crow's foot O2 socket, Heat (Butane heat gun), PB Blaster over 3 days, I fear if i keep going I will strip the O2 nut for sure.

My only option is to remove the Stock headers WITH O2 attached and then try to remove them via heat or other means on a work bench.

Can someone please post the wiring diagram for how the O2's are routed on each side of the engine and where the wire holding clips may be?

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Old 06-03-2022 | 10:16 AM
RP4S911
Pro

Well this isn't the most "correct" way to do things, but if you're looking to save a ton of time and aggravation I saw a while back someone with a Turbo posted something similar and turned an o2 job from an all day even to literally 2minutes without even taking the bumper off..

You can just cut the o2 wires and take off the headers. If you can get the o2's off, cool, install your new parts and splice the o2's back in. If you still can't, just order new o2's (which you'll be forced to do anyway) and then just splice the new ones to the existing wires. Apparently the connections to remove the o2 wires are a massive PITA to get to? Have not needed to tackle that yet.
Old 06-03-2022 | 10:40 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RP4S911
Well this isn't the most "correct" way to do things, but if you're looking to save a ton of time and aggravation I saw a while back someone with a Turbo posted something similar and turned an o2 job from an all day even to literally 2minutes without even taking the bumper off..

You can just cut the o2 wires and take off the headers. If you can get the o2's off, cool, install your new parts and splice the o2's back in. If you still can't, just order new o2's (which you'll be forced to do anyway) and then just splice the new ones to the existing wires. Apparently the connections to remove the o2 wires are a massive PITA to get to? Have not needed to tackle that yet.
funny you mention this because I literally thought of doing the same. Surely would save me a ton of work. not ideal or proper way though
Old 06-03-2022 | 12:23 PM
RP4S911
Pro

Originally Posted by desmotesta
funny you mention this because I literally thought of doing the same. Surely would save me a ton of work. not ideal or proper way though
It's worth a shot. As long as you use proper heat shrink and connections, it'll never be an issue. You WILL eventually need new o2's again anyway in the future.
Old 06-03-2022 | 04:28 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

if you were local in LA I have a set of used O2's you can have. for some reason the guy that shipped me my fabspeed headers left the O2's attached LOL.

Not sure if they work, but I assume they are ok as they were taken off a totaled car with low miles.
Old 06-03-2022 | 04:30 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

not a ton of pics of decent explanation.
http://stealthboy.com/991_o2_sensors.pdf
Old 06-03-2022 | 06:44 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joec500
not a ton of pics of decent explanation.
http://stealthboy.com/991_o2_sensors.pdf

Thank you..

I saw your post about an hour too late

broke couple of clips but otherwise I followed the same procedure as your link. Headers are off the car but O2s are still attached

the O2s are still ON the headers, won't even budge

May take it to a shop to have them remove O2s, this is not worth my time. I would rather be doing something else , to hell with this

I may take those O2s off your hand if you are willing to ship on my dime, this could make my life really easy, I could use your O2s and leave mine on stock headers. Please let me know

Last edited by desmotesta; 06-03-2022 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-18-2023 | 04:41 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Default Next time I'll cut splice and heat shrink....

What a major PITA to route the new o2 sensor wires. I read this earlier too, lol, and thought, how lazy to be splicing new ones on!
Dooh, shoulda coulda woulda... been done long ago.

But geez I'd have never found the crazy rattle that’s been intermittent since like October because I got a complimentary heat shield and a complementary don’t bother to clip the plug to the bracket. Just let it bang on the metal behind the bumper make me crazy for a couple months!
anyways, hopefully that’s what the rattle was I’ll find out because as soon as I get this pig back together, I’m gonna go boot it around and see if the new O2 sensors like the cold, thick air as much as I do late at night.

Quick Reply: How to replace O2 sensor and wiring 991.1 ?