Sponsored by:

Drive or ship cross-country?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 11:37 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by IXIXI
It’s an easy but not terribly exciting two day drive from ATL to Denver. The past January I did that same exact drive. If you dont have a big concern about mileage I think I would drive it but then I enjoy long road trips…
More interesting scenery and driving off the interstates.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:25 AM
BearsTransport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Thank you so much, the feedback and reviews that customers leave , is so rewarding !!!
We love what we do!!
847-810-7641
https://bearstransport.com/

Old 05-31-2022, 12:12 PM
RennListUser01
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Factors in support of driving:
1. Fun
2. Get to know car

Factors again driving:
1. Long way
2. Uncomfortable car on long trips
3. Likely no where you really want to see in betweem
4. Millions of rocks looking for your windshield, bumper, hood
5. Thousands of piece of junk (FOD) looking for your tires
6. Thousands of idiots trying to run into you

No.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:58 PM
lakeviking
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks rennlistuser. I guess a couple other factors, though, are that I'd save about $2,000 by driving it ($2,500 for enclosed shipping, minus about $500 in expenses to drive it), and avoid the risk, however small, of potential damage from the third-party shipping company or in transit.
Old 05-31-2022, 03:42 PM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by lakeviking
Thanks rennlistuser. I guess a couple other factors, though, are that I'd save about $2,000 by driving it ($2,500 for enclosed shipping, minus about $500 in expenses to drive it), and avoid the risk, however small, of potential damage from the third-party shipping company or in transit.
After doing a 4500 mile cross country drive last June, I would not hesitate driving these P-Cars across country ever again. If you are that **** about putting miles on your car, ship it! If you enjoy driving and have the time, drive it!
Good Luck either way.........
The following users liked this post:
thesaintusa (05-31-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 04:20 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by tmarino
After doing a 4500 mile cross country drive last June, I would not hesitate driving these P-Cars across country ever again. If you are that **** about putting miles on your car, ship it! If you enjoy driving and have the time, drive it!
Good Luck either way.........
I would vote to drive the car if you have the time and the car is mechanically sound to drive (and has appropriate tires).

Every person is different but I find the seats comfortable and the car soaks up the miles. Definitely louder than our E63 but more fun to drive If just 2 people you will have more than enough room between the frunk and the space in the rear.

Old 05-31-2022, 09:55 PM
Raynas123
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recently bought a 2013 991.1 Cab from a private seller in So. Fla. Also being in my early 60's and 6'6" tall, I had reservations about driving it back. I can tell you that at no point was my back sore, or was I ever cramped. The roughly 1300 mile trip that I split into 2 1/2 days was a great way for me to get acquainted with my new best friend. During my search, I was certain that I was driving back regardless of location.
Perhaps I was fortunate, but I had ZERO stone chips upon arriving back in Cleveland. The drive was pretty boring (70% being on I-77), but I did manage to get off the highway on several occasions. There is no way a carrier could have cost less than my lodging, food and fuel. The one downside was putting the mileage on the new P-Zero's which the seller had installed 2 days prior to my pickup.
I would do it again......and hopefully some day I can.
ABQSpeedster58 (06-01-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 10:11 PM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Raynas123
Recently bought a 2013 991.1 Cab from a private seller in So. Fla. Also being in my early 60's and 6'6" tall, I had reservations about driving it back. I can tell you that at no point was my back sore, or was I ever cramped. The roughly 1300 mile trip that I split into 2 1/2 days was a great way for me to get acquainted with my new best friend. During my search, I was certain that I was driving back regardless of location.
Perhaps I was fortunate, but I had ZERO stone chips upon arriving back in Cleveland. The drive was pretty boring (70% being on I-77), but I did manage to get off the highway on several occasions. There is no way a carrier could have cost less than my lodging, food and fuel. The one downside was putting the mileage on the new P-Zero's which the seller had installed 2 days prior to my pickup.
I would do it again......and hopefully some day I can.
I would agree with the comments above concerning comfort. As I was just about to turn 70 before I took my cross country excursion, my wife and I were really pleased at the overall ride quality of the car and the comfort level of the seats even after 5 weeks on the road. We had purchased the three(3) piece fitted luggage set for the frunk and between that and the back seat we had more than enough room for a 5 week trip. After that trip you can really appreciate the amount of storage room a 911 has in it. As we had the PPF installed a year earlier, we had no chips or scratches after the trip. We kept it washed on the travels and ,YES, we had to use local car washes along the way as I wasn't driving for 5 weeks without washing the car because I couldn't do a two bucket proper wash!! As the car had the PPF and a full ceramic coating it suffered not from the local car washes along the drive. All in all a great experience as the poster states.
ABQSpeedster58 (06-01-2022)

Quick Reply: Drive or ship cross-country?