Sponsored by:

991 3.4 exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2022 | 12:01 AM
maxyb13
1st Gear

Smile 991 3.4 exhaust question

Hi guys,
Just bought me my first Porsche 911, a 991 3.4 Carerra base cabriolet. I'm not too happy with the exhaust system on it. I found for sale a 991 Carrera S "Valved Sports Exhaust " it was taken off a 991 Carerra S. Will I see a noticeable difference if I put that on?

Thanks,
Max
Old 05-22-2022 | 12:51 AM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Two things
1. There’s a “regular” valved exhaust which is stock on the S cars, and then there’s PSE valved exhaust. PSE muffler has 2 lumps while the regular one is a big box. Adding the regular one won’t change much - the valving there is to eliminate droning mainly.
2. Since you have a base car, you won’t have the vacuum lines to control the valves. That’s the main work on top of simply switching mufflers. People have done it here - search for the threads.

Some folks also do a Gundo hack on the side mufflers - I don’t know how much additional noise you’ll get. An X pipe will definitely add a lot of sound - along with some droning I guess.
Old 05-22-2022 | 07:53 AM
NHmacan
Racer

Originally Posted by maxyb13
Hi guys,
Just bought me my first Porsche 911, a 991 3.4 Carerra base cabriolet. I'm not too happy with the exhaust system on it. I found for sale a 991 Carrera S "Valved Sports Exhaust " it was taken off a 991 Carerra S. Will I see a noticeable difference if I put that on?

Thanks,
Max
I don’t think an exhaust from an S will fit on a base car.
Old 05-22-2022 | 09:50 AM
CTDan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NHmacan
I don’t think an exhaust from an S will fit on a base car.
When I ordered my Soul exhaust, there was no difference between a base or an S. At least not for the dot 1 cars.
The following users liked this post:
NHmacan (05-22-2022)
Old 05-23-2022 | 09:07 AM
2000se
Instructor

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
Two things
1. There’s a “regular” valved exhaust which is stock on the S cars, and then there’s PSE valved exhaust. PSE muffler has 2 lumps while the regular one is a big box. Adding the regular one won’t change much - the valving there is to eliminate droning mainly.
2. Since you have a base car, you won’t have the vacuum lines to control the valves. That’s the main work on top of simply switching mufflers. People have done it here - search for the threads.

Some folks also do a Gundo hack on the side mufflers - I don’t know how much additional noise you’ll get. An X pipe will definitely add a lot of sound - along with some droning I guess.
This. A lot of people with valved exhaust use the electronic wireless valve controller. I saves from having to put the button in. The downfall of that is you have a small remote floating around in the car to turn the valves on and off.
Save your money and get an exhaust system from an exhaust company. You'll appreciate the outcome and certainly won't feel you've wasted your money.
Old 05-24-2022 | 05:06 PM
professorman
Racer

Originally Posted by 2000se
This. A lot of people with valved exhaust use the electronic wireless valve controller. I saves from having to put the button in. The downfall of that is you have a small remote floating around in the car to turn the valves on and off.
Save your money and get an exhaust system from an exhaust company. You'll appreciate the outcome and certainly won't feel you've wasted your money.
I just finished installing PSE valved exhaust on my 3.4L C2 base, last week. All the exhaust companies has the tiny remote to use in your car, so either way you take it, you are going to end up with a remote. Soul performance has a youtube instruction video that shows you how to program the remote to your garage door opener buttons. It uses 2 of the 3 buttons. It take about 2 minutes to program them, it is really easy. That way, I no longer have a remote. I keep it in my glove box as backup.

PSE was the most cost effective for me. My alternate plan was sharkwerks cross pipe with Fister D side cans. That is what I have on my 997.2 C2S and its a lot louder than the PSE that I have now. I am happy that I went with a valved exhaust. This weekend, I drove 2 hours on the highway to do a PCA backroads drive, and I was happy that I was able to go to 'normal' mode in the exhaust, but open up the valves for the 'fun' driving.

I used the PSE factory installation instructions and the soul performance installation instructions in order to figure out the vacuum line. I scratched my head for a while to figure it out, but I got it done, and saved myself $3,500 doing the installation myself. I was happy with my 2 afternoons of work.It was really easy, just some decisions that were unclear to me that I had to figure out which vacuum lines to tap into. My installation is clean, and random people wouldn't be able to tell that it wasn't factory installed.

Feel free to message me for anyone who wants to tackle this.

Last edited by professorman; 05-24-2022 at 05:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PatrickBateman (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022 | 05:31 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Yeah, just get the Porsche Sport Exhaust option installed: you get a button in the middle console. You can buy at any Porsche dealership: Suncoast, etc, or have the dealer install it. The PSE for the 991.1 sounds much better than the standard exhaust.
Old 05-24-2022 | 05:53 PM
2000se
Instructor

Originally Posted by professorman
I just finished installing PSE valved exhaust on my 3.4L C2 base, last week. All the exhaust companies has the tiny remote to use in your car, so either way you take it, you are going to end up with a remote. Soul performance has a youtube instruction video that shows you how to program the remote to your garage door opener buttons. It uses 2 of the 3 buttons. It take about 2 minutes to program them, it is really easy. That way, I no longer have a remote. I keep it in my glove box as backup.

PSE was the most cost effective for me. My alternate plan was sharkwerks cross pipe with Fister D side cans. That is what I have on my 997.2 C2S and its a lot louder than the PSE that I have now. I am happy that I went with a valved exhaust. This weekend, I drove 2 hours on the highway to do a PCA backroads drive, and I was happy that I was able to go to 'normal' mode in the exhaust, but open up the valves for the 'fun' driving.

I used the PSE factory installation instructions and the soul performance installation instructions in order to figure out the vacuum line. I scratched my head for a while to figure it out, but I got it done, and saved myself $3,500 doing the installation myself. I was happy with my 2 afternoons of work.It was really easy, just some decisions that were unclear to me that I had to figure out which vacuum lines to tap into. My installation is clean, and random people wouldn't be able to tell that it wasn't factory installed.

Feel free to message me for anyone who wants to tackle this.
I did that as well but for reason after about a month or so it forgets the middle button program.

Button one still opens and closed garage and button 3 still closes the valves, but button two will for some reason forget itself and stop opening the valves. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old 05-24-2022 | 05:54 PM
2000se
Instructor

Originally Posted by WP0
Yeah, just get the Porsche Sport Exhaust option installed: you get a button in the middle console. You can buy at any Porsche dealership: Suncoast, etc, or have the dealer install it. The PSE for the 991.1 sounds much better than the standard exhaust.
I wonder what the cost of that would be?
Old 05-24-2022 | 10:23 PM
Ark20
Rennlist Member

I did that as well but for reason after about a month or so it forgets the middle button program.

Button one still opens and closed garage and button 3 still closes the valves, but button two will for some reason forget itself and stop opening the valves. 🤷🏻‍♂️
This happened to me as well.
Old 05-24-2022 | 10:38 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

I wonder what the cost of that would be?
A simple search for the curious will render a quick and easy answer:

Sport Exhaust System - Carrera 3.4L 991 : Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories (suncoastparts.com)

Old 05-24-2022 | 11:01 PM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Originally Posted by WP0
A simple search for the curious will render a quick and easy answer:

Sport Exhaust System - Carrera 3.4L 991 : Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories (suncoastparts.com)
I believe they’re curious about labor.
Old 05-24-2022 | 11:09 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PatrickBateman
I believe they’re curious about labor.
Another simple search will answer that question as well:

Porsche PSE Installation - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Lots of threads on this topic. . . an extra $1-2k, depending on where you live. . .

Old 05-24-2022 | 11:10 PM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Originally Posted by WP0
Another simple search will answer that question as well:

Porsche PSE Installation - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Lots of threads on this topic. . . an extra $1-2k, depending on where you live. . .
I have factory PSE but I’m sure the curious minds thank you!
Old 05-25-2022 | 12:06 AM
professorman
Racer

This is strange. Does the remote opens the valve correctly?

On mine, I have button1 open the valve (no vacuum, loud exhaust), and button 2 closes the valve (quiet exhaust, vacuum). I have read other threads where the valve starts sticking. Is it a problem with the programing in the button, and not the actual valves? I have only had mine for less than a week, so I guess I will know more in a month.

Quick Reply: 991 3.4 exhaust question