Oh no, I took my car to a DE

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 10:05 AM
bentone
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
It all depends on WHY you want to track. Some options:
  1. You have a nice car, and you want to experience it fully - just keep tracking what you have - nothing wrong with that - maybe mod it lightly for safety and longevity (track pads etc.)
  2. You enjoy the thrills of track driving - keep what you have and upgrade to a faster car when you feel something is missing.
  3. You tried tracking and liked it but the current car feels limiting - that's a tough one because the current car is already up there and a step up would be either GTx car or a dedicated track/race car ($$$ in either case, both purchase and maintenance).
  4. You want to become a better driver and the rest is just a means to the end - consider a track car that's cheaper, lighter, and maybe slower (it does not have to be a Miata - Miata may actually get boring unless you actually race it - Cayman, Boxster, older M3 etc are also good options). If it's about driving skill, the car matters much less than seat time and instruction, so better to direct funds there.
  5. You want to progress to racing soon - this will be the strongest case for actually getting a Miata (or a spec miata race car) sooner than later, but there are many other options too. Research the racing series you want to join and get a car that will work for that series. I went with a Radical, for example.
  6. You are not sure what you want to do yet - keep what you have until it's clear. No need to change things just for the sake of it.
Wholly second #6 above. You have been bitten, so at the moment it feels like you want jump into a race car and spend every minute at the track. It's a great feeling, but it will evolve over time. If you get to the point where all you care about is a track car, you won't have to ask the question. But for now don't rush to sell something that sparks joy every time you see it in your driveway just because you think you want a roll bar. Been there, done that. And trust me, you're not anywhere near the car's limits...yet.

Last edited by bentone; 05-18-2022 at 10:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RSBro (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 12:40 PM
_Pat_
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, so many awesome replies -- thanks everyone!

@RennListUser01 -- Our summers are so short we love to enjoy them to the max. It gets quite warm here in the summer (30+) so a cab is great. I remember reading somewhere we have more pools per house than in other warmer climates too! Only issue here (well, not only, there are many) are the pot holes, they're insane!

Lots of good information posted. There was also a warning regarding turbos getting too hot in some 718's, that's good to know.

One of the reasons I considered selling the 2013 C4S Cab and getting a 718 is because I feel like you can't really enjoy the car to its fullest on the roads.
I was thinking (maybe) a older 718 would perform better (on a track) than my 911, and costs less.

Not looking for anything faster on the track, I find the 911 is plenty! I'd be OK going to a less HP Porsche which would cost less -- I wouldn't want to change brands (ie: Mazda, BMW, Chevy).

I'm OK with keeping and tracking the 911. My kids love the drop top and it does perform well on a track.

I've just discovered driving on the track is where I really enjoy driving the car. I don't need to be in a 911 on a daily, although I do enjoy driving it any chance I can

Old 05-18-2022, 12:45 PM
Sleepy996
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 56 Posts

Keep your car. Invest in some really good rubber, brake pads and some SRF brake fluid and just get lots and lots of seat time. GL
The following users liked this post:
RSBro (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 09:23 PM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by _Pat_
Wow, so many awesome replies -- thanks everyone!

Lots of good information posted. There was also a warning regarding turbos getting too hot in some 718's, that's good to know.
Here ya go…

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...the-track.html
Old 05-18-2022, 09:42 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNKT2
Glad don't see these issues on the 991.2 S I have!

Quick Reply: Oh no, I took my car to a DE