Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrofit electric folding mirrors on 991.1 (2015)cab?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2022 | 02:50 AM
RennListUser01
Pro

Default Retrofit electric folding mirrors on 991.1 (2015)cab?

Hi All,

Am I correct in my assumption that .1 cabs had folding mirrors as an option?

Mine are not, but I would like the additional side clearance.

I replaced driver window switch assembly (the usual crappy broken Chinese switch) with one that has the button for mirrors ... anyone done a complete swap to electric mirrors? Obviously would not buy new, but start looking for used.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2022 | 07:36 AM
RennListUser01
Pro

OK, I'll stop watching for responses :-)
Old 05-18-2022 | 08:24 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Yes they were an option. I have them. If you are looking for clearance when parking on a tiny side street occasionally, I believe the regular mirrors fold manually. I couldn't say for sure but my best guess is they are swappable.
Old 05-23-2022 | 05:27 AM
na4life
Instructor

Actually, I have the electric folding mirrors in mine (991.1 GTS) and am swapping to the sport design mirrors. Happy to sell them to you once they’re off the car (once DB carbon ships my carbon mirror housings). They’re painted gloss black and PPF’d but you can repaint them to whatever. If you have the switch assembly without the mirror button I’ll trade you too!

DM me and we can see if that would work for you.
Old 05-24-2022 | 12:12 PM
cutlass476
Racer

My indy mechanic seems to think that all of our non-sport design mirrors actually have motor/actuators in them. Porsche just doesn't code your car for it or include the mirror switch in the door. For example, I have a 2019 C2S. I am pretty sure that all 2019's have the voice control stock on the steering column. However, I do not have voice control, but for $265 from Sunset Porsche I can purchase the software license so my local Porsche dealer will program it. They literally just turn it on using the PIWIS. The same thing might be accomplished with the mirrors.

See if you can find an indy with a jailbroken PIWIS, buy the appropriate door switch and give a it a try. You're going to need the door switch anyway.
Old 05-24-2022 | 12:23 PM
RennListUser01
Pro

nalife, I'm away from car right now - I'm pretty sure my mirrors are white, but black might be interesting on the white car with black cab roof ... let me check.

I previously replaced the driver door switch assembly - crappy Porsche OEM Chinese stuff - driver window switch just came apart. Crappy Chinese replacement was $17 and had the mirror button, but I didn't think about checking wiring harness!

I need to disassemble mirror and check harness - would be cool if just required piwis programming change.

Last edited by RennListUser01; 05-24-2022 at 12:25 PM. Reason: accuracy
Old 04-25-2023 | 06:34 PM
GOTSPD2
Advanced

Bumping this old thread to see if anyone knows whether if you just get the power folding mirror switch you can make the standard mirrors fold in electrically by just turning on the function via the Porsche computer (I know the sport design mirrors don't have the power folding function). Anyone try this?
Old 04-26-2023 | 08:21 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Folding mirrors are a gimmick in the US. They're for Europe where streets in old towns are narrow and parking spaces are tight.
In this country, I wouldn't park anywhere so tight that I'd have to worry about the extension of the mirrors.
We've had the car going on two years and I've yet to push the button to fold the mirrors in.
Old 04-26-2023 | 08:26 AM
GOTSPD2
Advanced

You are certainly welcome to your strong opinion about the topic and feature. I value it. I have a narrow garage opening and even more valuable, it’s a great visual indicator that the car is locked. If you don’t want your power folding mirrors, let’s trade.
The following 4 users liked this post by GOTSPD2:
awittig (05-13-2023), poorshoeless (04-26-2023), UCLA92 (04-26-2023), z168 (04-27-2023)
Old 05-13-2023 | 02:54 PM
Brian (Morgan Hill, CA)
7th Gear

I can definitely confirm that you can retrofit power folding mirrors on 991.1. I have a 2012 991.1S cab that came with manually folding mirrors. I purchased a set of power folding mirrors in same paint color (Platinum Silver) on ebay from a seller that happened to be only 25 miles from me. The donor car was a 991 GT3 and the owner swapped them out for the fixed sport design mirrors. Mirrors were $900. The manual folding mirrors do not have any motors and the wire harness is different. The power folding mirrors also have puddle lights on the bottom side. I purchased the door switch with the mirror button on Amazon for $40.
Amazon Amazon

I installed the mirrors and door switch following You Tube video instructions. You can remove and install the mirror without removing the door panel (card), but it is virtually impossible to remove and replace the door switch as the retention clips are very secure and the wire harness has zero slack. Thankfully, removing the door cards is easy. Removing the mirrors is easy, but you must remember to tie a strong cord to the end of the wire harness so you can fish it through from the outside to the inside around 2 very tight bends. I used some string twine and it worked for the driver's mirror, but the twine broke on the passenger mirror so I ended up having a local body shop put it back on for me. Had I used a new piece of twine, I would have been OK, but reusing the twine was a mistake since it frayed and became weak as it rubbed against the metal bends.

My local indy Porsche shop was happy to tackle the PIWIS programming. They have both a jailbroken and factory PIWIS. It took them a few hours to sort through all the menu and feature options and charged me only $400. They thought the puddle lights were not activated when I left the shop and were willing to continue the hunt in the PIWIS menus, but when I got home and locked the car in the garage, the puddle lights were on since the ambient light was dark enough. The indy shop was too bright for puddle lights to come on. If you are in the SF Bay Area, my indy shop is Fred's European. https://www.fredseuropean.com/

The mirrors now fold when locking the car and unfold when the ignition is turned on (don't have to start engine). You can disable this feature from the MFD under Locking menu. There are no apparent control or feature options in the PCM v3.4 under CAR Settings. The puddle lights will come on after exiting the car and closing the door if the ambient light is dark enough. When you lock the car, the mirrors will fold, and the puddle lights will turn off. When you unlock the car, the mirrors stay folded up and the puddle lights remain off so they are useless for lighting a path or illuminating any real puddles. Others have complained about this. I am OK with this quirk as I like that the mirrors remain folded before starting ignition. My wife's 2020 Macan and her former 2009 GL500 behaved the same way.
Old 05-13-2023 | 05:25 PM
awittig
Racer

Originally Posted by GOTSPD2
You are certainly welcome to your strong opinion about the topic and feature. I value it. I have a narrow garage opening and even more valuable, it’s a great visual indicator that the car is locked. If you don’t want your power folding mirrors, let’s trade.
This.

I have the sport design mirrors on mine, but my Benz has this feature. I value it for simply being able to tell from a distance if i remembered to lock the car or not.
The following users liked this post:
Watson (05-13-2023)
Old 05-14-2023 | 11:32 AM
Fredseuro
5th Gear

Default Piwis, Porsche's answer?

Originally Posted by Brian (Morgan Hill, CA)
I can definitely confirm that you can retrofit power folding mirrors on 991.1. I have a 2012 991.1S cab that came with manually folding mirrors. I purchased a set of power folding mirrors in same paint color (Platinum Silver) on ebay from a seller that happened to be only 25 miles from me. The donor car was a 991 GT3 and the owner swapped them out for the fixed sport design mirrors. Mirrors were $900. The manual folding mirrors do not have any motors and the wire harness is different. The power folding mirrors also have puddle lights on the bottom side. I purchased the door switch with the mirror button on Amazon for $40. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I installed the mirrors and door switch following You Tube video instructions. You can remove and install the mirror without removing the door panel (card), but it is virtually impossible to remove and replace the door switch as the retention clips are very secure and the wire harness has zero slack. Thankfully, removing the door cards is easy. Removing the mirrors is easy, but you must remember to tie a strong cord to the end of the wire harness so you can fish it through from the outside to the inside around 2 very tight bends. I used some string twine and it worked for the driver's mirror, but the twine broke on the passenger mirror so I ended up having a local body shop put it back on for me. Had I used a new piece of twine, I would have been OK, but reusing the twine was a mistake since it frayed and became weak as it rubbed against the metal bends.

My local indy Porsche shop was happy to tackle the PIWIS programming. They have both a jailbroken and factory PIWIS. It took them a few hours to sort through all the menu and feature options and charged me only $400. They thought the puddle lights were not activated when I left the shop and were willing to continue the hunt in the PIWIS menus, but when I got home and locked the car in the garage, the puddle lights were on since the ambient light was dark enough. The indy shop was too bright for puddle lights to come on. If you are in the SF Bay Area, my indy shop is Fred's European. https://www.fredseuropean.com/

The mirrors now fold when locking the car and unfold when the ignition is turned on (don't have to start engine). You can disable this feature from the MFD under Locking menu. There are no apparent control or feature options in the PCM v3.4 under CAR Settings. The puddle lights will come on after exiting the car and closing the door if the ambient light is dark enough. When you lock the car, the mirrors will fold, and the puddle lights will turn off. When you unlock the car, the mirrors stay folded up and the puddle lights remain off so they are useless for lighting a path or illuminating any real puddles. Others have complained about this. I am OK with this quirk as I like that the mirrors remain folded before starting ignition. My wife's 2020 Macan and her former 2009 GL500 behaved the same way.
Thank you Brian, for the privilege of working on your very well and cared for Porsche.
Porsche is still one of the most iconic and revered Automotive manufacturers in the world today. Although Ferdinand Porsche wasn't as keen or absorbed like Enzo Ferrari was into racing, he did appreciate the feed back and analysis from races and failures of race teams, wether indy or factory.
Porsche's answer to keeping information close to home (locked away inside) may or may not benefit the Company​​​​​ for the long haul. As an indy facility, we struggle every day getting correct and useful information regarding vehicles technology and related systems information. Understanding the importance of being "informed" and taught how these "systems & technology" work together is of course, paramount to both the customers satisfaction and a shops profitability. We get that a huge amount of effort and costs are involved from the manufacturers in both creating and implementing said systems and technology. PIWIS is a great tool but Porsche has always fallen short on transparency to protect intellectual property rights, forgetting that they already "have" their niche market well in hand. In short, give up and release the info to your beloved followers. Do what BMW has done with ISTA, Toyota with TechStream and others. Luckily, we have Rennlist, IATN, NASTF and other sites that can help indy shops stay close to current understanding of applied technologies.
Thank you again Brian for trust, thats better than any paycheck, just like Ferdinand Porsche would have.
The following users liked this post:
Brian (Morgan Hill, CA) (05-15-2023)
Old 05-14-2023 | 12:18 PM
GOTSPD2
Advanced

Anyone know if the mirrors on a 991.1 and .2 are the same? Related question... If the mirrors are from a Turbo S, safe to assume that they are power folding or was it optional for that variant of a 911 as well?
Old 05-14-2023 | 07:29 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Folding mirrors were included in the Premium Package. I certainly wouldn’t pay $1,300 separately to add them.
When pulling into a narrow parking spot or door entrance I want the mirrors out. That’s the best way to gauge that the car will fit.
Old 05-15-2023 | 01:30 AM
Brian (Morgan Hill, CA)
7th Gear

Not in 2012. My 991.1S cab has the Premium Package Plus with Adaptive Sport Seats (P3C).

Quick Reply: Retrofit electric folding mirrors on 991.1 (2015)cab?