Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Report to Other Driver's Insurance or Pay for Repair Myself?
Report to Other Driver's Insurance (and risk Carfax)
82.76%
Pay for it myself (and let the other driver off the hook)
17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Report to Other Driver's Insurance or Pay Out of Pocket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2022 | 08:01 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default Take pictures

Of initial damage and of when bumper is off. If it can be added to accident report great. If the damage is just a bumper and you have pics and an invoice for the repair the carfax is not a big deal and almost meaningless. Paint is so thin almost everyone has to paint a bumper cover now even with ppf.
Old 05-14-2022 | 10:59 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Always file the claim with your own insurance company! You should never have to speak to her or her insurance company. It's not you fault so there will be no surcharge. And press for a diminished value claim. And take photos of the damage and repair to minimize the impact of the carfax report.
Old 05-14-2022 | 01:37 PM
shklein911
AutoX

If it's obvious beyond a shadow of doubt that it was the other party's fault, report it to your insurance company and confirm that they'll return your deductible once they've subrogated the claim with the insurance company of the at-fault driver. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
barrett (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022 | 10:35 AM
SSFox
Advanced

Default File Claim With your insurance company

I am a lawyer. File a claim with your insurance. They will manage the case with the other. Too many possibilities for you to worry about. Too many benefits from having professionals help you. Insurance rates are regulated. Consequences of a claim are worth the benefits: that is the premise of the entire industry.
The following 2 users liked this post by SSFox:
barrett (05-16-2022), shammerman (05-19-2022)
Old 05-18-2022 | 09:37 PM
fluid15

Do Not Pay out of your own pocket. I understand your worry about CarFax but it's just a bumper and should be explainable to a future Buyer (as you said, maybe 'way future') with quality documentation. And if CarFax will affect it by a few thousand than take the steps now to get ahead of that concern with a Diminished Value Claim. Or consider how much you feel a CarFax bumper will realistically affect your resale value - you're considering $5k (min) out of pocket so IMO I doubt a CarFax will impact it more than that for only a bumper replacement. Just another POV.

Last edited by fluid15; 05-19-2022 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-19-2022 | 02:15 AM
Otakugamer
Advanced

If there’s anything I learned from this thread, it’s that when I buy my next car, a clean car fax doesn’t mean much since the owner could have simply paid out of pocket and so hidden an incident.
Old 05-19-2022 | 09:53 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default Your right it's a multipart answer

Start with the carfax history, then ppi with paint meter reading, then personal inspection.

QUOTE=Otakugamer;18152032]If there’s anything I learned from this thread, it’s that when I buy my next car, a clean car fax doesn’t mean much since the owner could have simply paid out of pocket and so hidden an incident.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-19-2022 | 07:01 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Otakugamer
If there’s anything I learned from this thread, it’s that when I buy my next car, a clean car fax doesn’t mean much since the owner could have simply paid out of pocket and so hidden an incident.
That is not correct. Carfax gets their information from multiple sources including repair shops, police etc. in addition to insurance companies”

“CARFAX gets information from various motor vehicle bureaus across the U.S. and Canada, insurance companies, auto auctions, repair and service facilities, rental companies, state inspection stations, fire departments, law enforcement agencies, and vehicle manufacturers.”

Quick Reply: Report to Other Driver's Insurance or Pay Out of Pocket?