Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Report to Other Driver's Insurance or Pay for Repair Myself?
Report to Other Driver's Insurance (and risk Carfax)
82.76%
Pay for it myself (and let the other driver off the hook)
17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Report to Other Driver's Insurance or Pay Out of Pocket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2022 | 06:46 PM
barrett
Instructor

Default Report to Other Driver's Insurance or Pay Out of Pocket?

As I've posted about recently, my 2018 S Cabriolet was recently hit by a 22-yo woman who rear-ended me as we were both leaving a parking lot. I was pulling out into the street from the parking lot, and she was behind me, presumably about to do the same thing. She didn't pay attention that I was in front of her so as I was pulling out into the street, she jumped the gun and hit me. The damage doesn't seem that bad, but I'm well aware of the thread about how seemingly innocuous bumper damage can run up to $30k. That said, I've taken it to three shops (one Porsche certified, the other two work on a lot of high-end cars, e.g., Lamborghinis, Ferraris, McLarens), and all three preliminary estimates are remarkably close: all in the $4500-5000 range. Of course, these estimates are without the benefit of actually opening up the bumper cover of the car.

I gave the girl the option of paying me out of pocket or calling her insurance. Unsurprisingly, she has informed me that she doesn't have the money (even if the amount ends up being in the $4500-5000 range) to pay out of pocket, so she says go through her insurance. She admits fault (and even if she didn't, she rear-ended me, so it's pretty obvious). One problem is that her insurance is what I've now come to refer to as "fig leaf" insurance, i.e., it is super cheap, no-name, BS insurance that is meant for people to comply with the requirement to carry auto insurance. But in reading about this insurance company on the internet, there are just scores and scores of reviews from counterparties (people who have been hit by this company's insureds) saying how they never pay out fully to claimants, they never return calls, they drag things out, etc. I think they basically just dare you to sue their insureds, and maybe if you do that, then they'll get serious. They're totally a sketchy insurance company.

So my options are:

1. Report it to her insurance because they should pay for it (why should I pay for it?), but just know I'm in for a headache. Also I'm increasing the likelihood that this likely minor accident will show up on my car's Carfax. So I'll have the Carfax ding, plus the insurance company will likely not pay for the full amount, and unless I'm willing to sue, I'm likely to come out of pocket for some amount anyway (especially if I want to use new parts, not refurbished, etc.).

2. Suck it up and just pay for it myself. This keeps the car from being reported to Carfax. But I will likely be out $5,000, and that's assuming there are no hidden issues. What if there are hidden issues, to where the damage is more like $15k? None of the three body shops thinks that's likely, but they can't guarantee it, of course. And that's the problem--the body shop I'm likely to take the car to can't actually work on the car for another 5 weeks; all the good body shops are just that busy. They have given me a written preliminary estimate, however. But until they can actually work on the car, I'm just driving the car around now since it's fully operable--the cabriolet top works fine (which one body shop guy told me is a very good sign because moderate damage to the back should throw the cabriolet top out of whack). From afar it's even hard to see where the dings and scratches are. But if the total bill ends up being, say, $15k, then I'd rather the girl's insurance pay for most or at least some part of it. I don't feel like writing a check like that for a used car I just bought.

Is there a middle path? Don't report it to her insurance until I get my car appointment in late June and they open it up? I've already got a text from her accepting fault, and it's not like I'm bumping up against any statute of limitations to make a claim. I do think, however, that body shops go about their work differently when it's an insurance-paid repair vs. an out-of-pocket repair. For example, if it's an insurance repair, they have to keep insurance apprised along the way and get approvals for every step. But they can't do that until I decide to make a claim. So the middle path doesn't seem really viable.

One part of me thinks I shouldn't worry about the Carfax, that I should just report the claim to her insurance. I plan to keep this car for a long time, and I can document how minor the damage was and just involves a bumper replacement and painting. And this girl--who initially attempted to drive off and flee the scene until I chased her and she saw me taking photos of her license as I was following her--shouldn't get off scot free. But is dinging her record a Pyrrhic victory, where I lose my clean Carfax? Though, of course, if ever a future buyer asked me if the car had been in an accident, I'd feel compelled to tell the truth and say yes anyway.

Curious to get the thoughts of this group.

I absolutely hate that I'm in this position, by the way. I had the car just 5 days before that girl hit me.
Old 05-13-2022 | 07:07 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Why dont you call YOUR insurance and make it their problem. That is what they are for. If you are keeping the car and don’t care about carfax then that seems the easiest course of action. They pay out and the headache of recovery is theirs not yours.
The following 8 users liked this post by spiderv6:
barrett (05-13-2022), DaveGee (05-13-2022), Fracture (05-13-2022), Guards_Red_991 (05-19-2022), Holger B (05-19-2022), NHmacan (05-13-2022), Noah Fect (05-14-2022), SSFox (05-16-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-13-2022 | 07:10 PM
barrett
Instructor

That's the thing. I'm not sure if I care about the Carfax. I do plan to keep this car for a long time (and drive it into the 6-digits), but who knows.

That said, I see your point. Would my calling my insurance affect my rates? I guess if so, it would be only minimally.
Old 05-13-2022 | 07:14 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Why dont you call YOUR insurance and make it their problem. That is what they are for. If you are keeping the car and don’t care about carfax then that seems the easiest course of action. They pay out and the headache of recovery is theirs not yours.
Was just going to say the same thing. Especially if you’ve been with your provider for any significant period of time.

I would have gotten her info and then proceeded to get my insurance company involved. I don’t have time to deal with all that bullshi*, and unfortunately these events always devolve into a bunch of bullshi*.

Barrett - very sorry to hear about your predicament so soon after getting your car. Hope it gets fixed soon and you can get on with enjoying it. 👍
The following users liked this post:
barrett (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022 | 07:30 PM
PatrickBateman
Racer

You forgot one thing: the existence of a diminished value claim. And that one thing just might be your ticket to financial salvation.
The following 3 users liked this post by PatrickBateman:
barrett (05-13-2022), desmotesta (05-14-2022), fluguy (05-17-2022)
Old 05-13-2022 | 07:35 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

@barrett - your point 2 is not necessarily correct. Most repair facilities report to Carfax so paying yourself does not necessarily keep it off. Carfax gets their information from multiple sources, not just from insurance companies.

Last edited by shammerman; 05-13-2022 at 07:37 PM.
barrett (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022 | 07:41 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Claim it. I would claim against my insurance and because you were not at fault, it shouldn't affect your rates (at least it wouldn't up here in Canada), let the insurance company deal with it themselves.
barrett (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022 | 07:43 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

I pay for insurance so I don’t have to stress about this BS. My insurance company will pay for repair, pay me diminished value, and they will deal with going after the other driver’s insurance company. If you’re going to handle all the leg work why are you paying your insurance company anything to begin with? This is also why I pay for good insurance and not some “fig leaf” (to use your term) crap.
barrett (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022 | 07:46 PM
Levy
Racer

my nephews none P car was wacked, along with 5 other vehicles by a driver with no name/crap insurance. all of the cars were parked and severely side swiped by a kid who was flying down a narrow Chicago side street. the kid got multiple tickets (DUI being one of them) and was arrested on the spot. he admitted fault as well. this was 6 years ago and his insurance is yet to pay a dime to any of the victims. my nephews insurance company eventually paid for his repairs and said they would collect from the kids insurance company. they are yet to receive a dime as well and gave up/took the lose.

i had no idea something like this could ever happen. always thought insurance companies had to pay up eventually. yes, they can fight the claim and drag their feet but i assumed payment would eventually be made if no "grey zones" or cause disputes were involved. i was naively dead wrong. no idea how these insurance companies get away with it but they do. cops told my nephew they see this all the time.

if you're ever wacked by someone and see they have no name basic liability ins, don't be surprised if you get stiffed. seems collecting premiums and not paying claims is the "business model" for many of these shady insurance companies.

agree with others who are saying call your insurance agent and get the ball rolling. i wouldn't pay out of pocket but that's just me. if 5k-10k is a drop in the bucket for you, maybe paying out of pocket makes sense?. it's a significant amount of money to me that i wouldn't be willing to part with.....especially over a blemished Carfax report. document everything in detail with pic etc....and it should have minimal impact on resale down the road imho. maybe you can get your insurance company to pay the diminished value because of the accident?? it's definitely worth looking into/asking about.

best of luck

The following 2 users liked this post by Levy:
barrett (05-13-2022), Bud Taylor (05-14-2022)
Old 05-13-2022 | 07:56 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

I too would get my insurance involved. I have Amica and I cannot speak highly enough about them. After my first date fiasco (see OP's other thread), I reported the accident to Amica and they took care of everything. The car got fixed, the other insurance paid for it and my premium was not affected because I was not at fault.

Fast forward a week later, I was on vacation on Prince Edward Island, Canada and a guy hits me in my brand new Ford Mustang convertible rental car, in a parking lot, with his Ford F-150. Face palm, the sequel. Once again, I called Amica, they contacted his insurance, they contacted Hertz and I did not pay a dime.

As for Carfax, I am one of those guys who buys a car to drive it until the wheels fall off. So, for me, having a Carfax report on my car is a non-issue. My 2016 GTS has 50,000 miles and I am nearing 20,000 in my 2019 Touring - and I am just getting started!

Last edited by Porsche911GTS'16; 05-13-2022 at 07:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche911GTS'16:
barrett (05-13-2022), MingusDew (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022 | 08:02 PM
barrett
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
I am one of those guys who buys a car to drive it until the wheels fall off. So, for me, having a Carfax report on my car is a non-issue. My 2016 GTS has 50,000 miles and I am nearing 20,000 in my 2019 Touring - and I am just getting started!
Love this! DID WE JUST BECOME BEST FRIENDS?! YUP!!!
Porsche911GTS'16 (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022 | 08:40 PM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

What has this country turned into!?

I mean really.

Cant walk down the street anymore without getting robbed. I live in San Francisco btw.

Now you need to avoid this while driving.

I don’t know people, time to wake up.

Something’s incredibly broken.

Okay, rant over.

I feel bad the person who hit you can’t afford decent insurance. She should be able to even with a low income.

Sounds like you should take her insurance route and just cover the rest. And deal with the pain.

Sorry this is a bad experience for you and her.

Life shouldn’t be this hard.

Last edited by Laszlo_Laz; 05-13-2022 at 08:42 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Laszlo_Laz:
barrett (05-13-2022), Graufuchs (05-14-2022), Porsche911GTS'16 (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022 | 10:59 PM
NHmacan
Racer

what he said call your insurance and they will deal with her company. It probably won’t chang your rates too.
Old 05-14-2022 | 12:46 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Another vote for file with your own company and let them chase the money from the other sketchy company. They might not be intimidated by the thought of you suing them, but the big guns in a major insurance company might worry them a bit more.

And then hit them for diminished value.
barrett (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022 | 01:23 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

^ this

Quick Reply: Report to Other Driver's Insurance or Pay Out of Pocket?