Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pirelli P Zewro tires, was I premature with....

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 04:16 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking Pirelli P ZERO tires, was I premature with....

....my praise for this tire as dual purpose street and track? Me thinks so. Also note, these tires had 10 track sessiopns on them, one (1) day at Chuckwalla, and another at Buttonwillow Raceway. Both of these tracks have lots of turns, 20+. I also drove to and from the track on them. Today (4/6/22) I had the Pirellis swaped out foir a set of Yokohama ADVAN APEX V601 tires. The rear P Zero tires were just fine, no visible signs of weart.

The fronts, another story. The outside edges were showing severe wear and signs of delimitation. I never could have passed Tech with those tires. I am gong back to the shop tomorrow to pick up the tires and will take some pics, and attatch them to this post.

Note, my alignment is close to stock specs...also, I was religious about checking tire pressures before going out on track.

My point here is NOT that the P Zeros are bad tires...the message, check your tires during the day when at the track

Last edited by Martin S.; 04-09-2022 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:21 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 730 Posts

Are you getting a lot of understeer?
Old 04-06-2022, 04:23 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking Handling was not the issue....

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Are you getting a lot of understeer?
The tires performed extremely well, 0 understeer to report. I don't know if the PSM will allow oversteer to occur. I'll post up the pics...as well as reciew my alignment specs.

Last edited by Martin S.; 04-09-2022 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:45 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 386 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
The outside edges were showing severe wear and signs of delimitation.
Note, my alignment is close to stock specs..
Given stock alignment, you will wear out the outside of the tires, some tire brands more quickly than others - I destroyed tires inside of 2 20 minute sessions with stock alignment - and by destroyed I mean delaminated to the point it was troublesome to get home. Since I've dialed in max negative camber without getting camber plates or adjustable LCAs, and have a little bit of toe-in, tires last much longer.

Old 04-06-2022, 06:58 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts

....my praise for this tire as dual purpose street and track? Me thinks so. Also note, these tires had 10 track sessiopns on them, one (1) day at Chuckwalla, and another at Buttonwillow Raceway. Both of these tracks have lots of turns, 20+. I also drove to and from the track on them. Today (4/6/22) I had the Pirellis swaped out foir a set of Yokohama ADVAN APEX V601 tires. The rear P Zero tires were just fine, no visible signs of weart.

The fronts, another story. The outside edges were showing severe wear and signs of delimitation. I never could have passed Tech with those tires. I am gong back to the shop tomorrow to pick up the tires and will take some pics, and attatch them to this post.

Note, my alignment is close to stock specs...also, I was religious about checking tire pressures before going out on track.

My point here is NOT that the P Zeros are bad tires...the message, check your tires during the day when at the track
How many miles on the P Zeros?
Old 04-06-2022, 07:48 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking Alignment

Originally Posted by enzotcat
Given stock alignment, you will wear out the outside of the tires, some tire brands more quickly than others - I destroyed tires inside of 2 20 minute sessions with stock alignment - and by destroyed I mean delaminated to the point it was troublesome to get home. Since I've dialed in max negative camber without getting camber plates or adjustable LCAs, and have a little bit of toe-in, tires last much longer.

I am taking my car in for an alignment check soon. Tomorrow, I will be at the Porsche dealer for another minor issue, and double check the #s below, against Factory Specs.

Old 04-06-2022, 07:50 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

"How many miles on the P Zeros?" When I got the car lasst December the tires appeared to be cose to new,,,,now they have about 3,000 miles on them and the fronts are ruined.
Old 04-06-2022, 11:06 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 386 Likes on 201 Posts

I am taking my car in for an alignment check soon. Tomorrow, I will be at the Porsche dealer for another minor issue, and double check the #s below, against Factory Specs.

That front alignment and lack of max negative camber will definitely impact it. I managed to get about 2 degrees negative on my front, IIRC, which is about as much as anyone can get without camber plates.

"How many miles on the P Zeros?" When I got the car lasst December the tires appeared to be cose to new,,,,now they have about 3,000 miles on them and the fronts are ruined.
Depending on how hard you drive, and how many track days, that’s not completely unexpected, but 10 track sessions == probably about 2 track days, which again, depending on driving style, track surface, etc. may not be terrible, although it does seem a little on the low side. For reference, I got 21 track sessions of 20 minutes out of my last set of tires (Dunlop Sport Maxx Race 2), and a similar number out of the previous Cup 2s. I run in the black group in PCA, and advanced in other organizations FWIW.
Old 04-07-2022, 02:22 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

Just a point of reference, when I took delivery of my 911 at Atlanta also took the driving course.

Speaking to the driver coach about tires revealed that they got a few hundred miles from the stock tires on track.

I’ve got one of my PS4S that has plenty of tread at almost 20k street miles (the three others had to be replaced due to nails).

Track wear is another world.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:20 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

If you are going to run PS4S or P Zeros on track you really need to manage heat. Do two laps, then a cool down lap and then go at it again. The outside of those tires will fall apart if you do anything near a full 20 minute session at speed. Especially with stock alignments.
The following users liked this post:
Martin S. (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 11:03 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Talking Now that's a plan..

Originally Posted by Wujohn
If you are going to run PS4S or P Zeros on track you really need to manage heat. Do two laps, then a cool down lap and then go at it again. The outside of those tires will fall apart if you do anything near a full 20 minute session at speed. Especially with stock alignments.
Thanks for the idea.....backing off the gas is realy tough to do....I am getting the alignment re-checked.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:11 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

That is fine for street driving but track driving requires more front negative camber to prevent premature wear on the outside edge.

Peter
The following users liked this post:
991_T (04-07-2022)

Quick Reply: Pirelli P Zewro tires, was I premature with....