991.1 C4S Launch Control Bog

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 03:05 PM
DG80
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 991.1 C4S Launch Control Bog

Hey all,

I did some research trying to find a post that covered this topic but couldn’t find anything specific.

When activating launch control and turning off traction control, does anyone know if there are still nannies engaged? Reason being, I was messing around with it the other day and, even with traction control “OFF” the car seemed to bog a bit when I released the brake to launch. Like it cut fuel or something…

Now, I don’t expect (and wouldn’t want) a clutch side step effect as that’s how you break stuff but I’d think I’d get more of a clutch slip and wheel spin than I do. There’s almost no difference between leaving the TC on and off.

Is there a setting I’m missing or is that just how these cars always behave in that scenario?

Step 1) Sport Plus mode “ON”
Step 2) Traction control “OFF” (“PSM Off” displays)
Step 3) Apply brake and mash throttle
Step 4) Release brake and go!

Any insights are appreciated.
Old 03-31-2022, 03:19 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,991 Likes on 947 Posts

I never had to turn PSM off to activate launch control in my PDK car
Old 03-31-2022, 03:27 PM
DG80
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by desmotesta
I never had to turn PSM off to activate launch control in my PDK car
I don’t have to turn it off. I’m saying turning it off doesn’t seem to make a difference. It still bogs down, like fuel is being cut, when I launch with TC off.
Old 03-31-2022, 03:43 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,991 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by DG80
I don’t have to turn it off. I’m saying turning it off doesn’t seem to make a difference. It still bogs down, like fuel is being cut, when I launch with TC off.

Ah ok.
From what I remember, if the road conditions were bad or tires were very cold, even if Launch control was activated, the car would bog down. It worked best in better road conditions and warmed up tires
Old 03-31-2022, 03:46 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,303 Posts

There was a thread on this last year. Let me try to dig it up.
Old 03-31-2022, 03:53 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Nevermind, I misremembered. It was someone trying to abuse their manual transmission and wondering why problems were happening. Whoops.

Between steps 3 and 4 you should have "MFD says Launch Control Active" -- you're getting this message, right? Stepping back a little, does the car have sport chrono?

The few times I've done the LC gimmick in my 991.2 I've had PSM on sport, not off completely. It was on warm pavement with summer tires, no noteworthy wheel slip or TCS blinking. Letting go of the brake resulted in an airplane takeoff style consistent acceleration feeling, which makes sense because it slips the hell out of the clutch.
Old 03-31-2022, 04:00 PM
DG80
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
Nevermind, I misremembered. It was someone trying to abuse their manual transmission and wondering why problems were happening. Whoops.

Between steps 3 and 4 you should have "MFD says Launch Control Active" -- you're getting this message, right? Stepping back a little, does the car have sport chrono?

The few times I've done the LC gimmick in my 991.2 I've had PSM on sport, not off completely. It was on warm pavement with summer tires, no noteworthy wheel slip or TCS blinking. Letting go of the brake resulted in an airplane takeoff style consistent acceleration feeling, which makes sense because it slips the hell out of the clutch.
Thanks for looking! Yes, it does flash "MFD says Launch Control Active" and, yes, I have sport chrono.

I've had a few times, in the past, when it felt kind of like an airplane takeoff with a good clutch slip. Just threw some headers on the car and tried to launch it yesterday but got the aforementioned "bog" feeling rather than a clutch slip... Also, kind of expected the tires to spin a bit but, again, it almost feels like TC is still active given the bog down that feels, to me, like a fuel cut to prevent slippage. Just seems like TC isn't all the way off - Quite odd.
Old 03-31-2022, 04:31 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This is one of the other threads from last year, not necessarily about launching, but about bogging on a PDK.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1256...-behavior.html
Old 03-31-2022, 05:03 PM
DG80
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
This is one of the other threads from last year, not necessarily about launching, but about bogging on a PDK.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1256...-behavior.html
Interesting - Thanks for sharing. I don't have that issue, fortunately. Just the launch control situation.
Old 03-31-2022, 05:38 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Car needs to be fully warmed up.

I’m guessing you are not keeping foot mashed on accelerator past the click down position upon launching. Any letup, ever so slight, on the accelerator will result in your bogging issue.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:02 PM
DG80
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco

I’m guessing you are not keeping foot mashed on accelerator past the click down position upon launching. Any letup, ever so slight, on the accelerator will result in your bogging issue.
Pretty sure I had it pinned to the floor. Will try it again to ensure that's the case!
Old 03-31-2022, 08:13 PM
chipmunkchan
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco

This. You need to step on the pedal all the way to the floor. You'll feel a click once you do so, and "Launch Control Ready" or something like that will display. If you do not lift off the brake after a few seconds, the launch control will deactivate on its own.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:42 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The 991.1s have a mechanical kickdown switch in the throttle pedal? The 991.2 (or at least, my 991.2) does not.
Old 03-31-2022, 11:23 PM
DG80
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chipmunkchan
This. You need to step on the pedal all the way to the floor. You'll feel a click once you do so, and "Launch Control Ready" or something like that will display. If you do not lift off the brake after a few seconds, the launch control will deactivate on its own.
I don’t know about feeling a click but the Launch Control Ready does display and, of course, the RPMs shoot up to around 5k.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:30 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 724 Posts

In my experience, the 2S gets out of the hole better with PSM off + Launch Control. A small bit of spin and then it hooks and goes.

I've had it bog with PSM on.

OP I wouldn't expect too much wheel spin or anything in a .1 4S, AWD + somewhat low torque.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 04-01-2022 at 08:31 AM.

Quick Reply: 991.1 C4S Launch Control Bog