Off-road tires for winter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2022, 12:18 PM
sxseventy
Track Day

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb Off-road tires for winter?

Hey team,

As winter is drawing to a close, I’ll be retiring my current set of winter tires. I’m in Minnesota and the winter sport tires that I had last year are pretty good in the snow but I was thinking of getting a second set of rims with some dedicated winter tires. I’ve always thought the Safari 911s looked pretty cool and some narrower, knobbier tires would do well in the snow. I think these 15” rims will fit my 991.1

https://www.group4wheels.com/store/P...x-7-p247273147

and I’m pretty sure these tires will fit in the wheel well.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

Could look something like this:

Facebook Post

or this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Autos/comme...rsche_911_991/

Do you think I can get away with not lifting the suspension? I’d like to just do a wheel swap twice a year. Thanks for your insight.

Old 03-20-2022, 12:28 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,089 Likes on 1,298 Posts

All-terrain tires are FAR worse than snow tires in the snow, even the "performance" snow tire garbage we have to run on the 991. AT tires are actually slightly worse than all-season tires in most road conditions. They only excel when you're on soft, chunky surfaces, like very heavy slush, dirt, and mud. Dry pavement, pack ice, and fluffy snow will be comparatively awful.

15" wheels won't fit over the brakes. I think if you have non-S you can go as small as 18. Maybe 17. I've got a set of low offset 15s that can be used to measure if you'd like, I'm up in Maple Grove. They're 4x100 so they won't bolt up, but at least you could hold them up against the brake rotors.

I was mulling this over this last winter after being disappointed by the snow performance of my 991. The "best" actual winter tire setup I found that would fit would have been something like 265 rear, 235 front, and even then the sizes were a bit off. Far too close of a ratio for my comfort, given the tail-happiness of the 991.
The following users liked this post:
regajohn (03-20-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 12:33 PM
sxseventy
Track Day

Thanks for the detailed reply. That’s disappointing. I was hopeful when I saw this:

I hadn’t considered the brake rotors not fitting.

I guess doing some sort of “Minnesota 911” Is really more of a conversion than a wheel swap. Bummer.
Old 03-20-2022, 12:42 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
All-terrain tires are FAR worse than snow tires in the snow, even the "performance" snow tire garbage we have to run on the 991. AT tires are actually slightly worse than all-season tires in most road conditions. They only excel when you're on soft, chunky surfaces, like very heavy slush, dirt, and mud. Dry pavement, pack ice, and fluffy snow will be comparatively awful.

15" wheels won't fit over the brakes. I think if you have non-S you can go as small as 18. Maybe 17. I've got a set of low offset 15s that can be used to measure if you'd like, I'm up in Maple Grove. They're 4x100 so they won't bolt up, but at least you could hold them up against the brake rotors.

I was mulling this over this last winter after being disappointed by the snow performance of my 991. The "best" actual winter tire setup I found that would fit would have been something like 265 rear, 235 front, and even then the sizes were a bit off. Far too close of a ratio for my comfort, given the tail-happiness of the 991.
Ditto.

In snow/ice/covered roads/slush:

Winter tires >>> Performance Winter tires > All-weather tires >>> All-Seasons >>> AT >>>>> MT

On dry/winter roads

Performance winter tires >>> winter tires >>> all-weather tires >>>> All- seasons >>>> AT >>>> MT

On DEEP DEEP snow:

A ridiculous wide MT is not a bad idea if you have a 4x4 and want to 'float' according to the people on the 4x4/Jeep forums.
I find I do just fine with a narrow tall winter tire on our Jeep.

The studded Nokians >>>> NEW Yoko Geolandars on our Jeep. That being said i was very impressed with the snow traction on the AT Geolandars. We put winter tires on the cars that see winter.

I love the look of a 'Safai' / lifted 911 and would go with the smallest wheel that will clear the breaks with the tallest narrowest tire that you can fit after lifting the 911 as high as you can
Old 03-20-2022, 12:45 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by sxseventy
Thanks for the detailed reply. That’s disappointing. I was hopeful when I saw this:

I hadn’t considered the brake rotors not fitting.

I guess doing some sort of “Minnesota 911” Is really more of a conversion than a wheel swap. Bummer.
I have this tire on our Jeep and it really surprised me on how well it did in snow, both packed and loose. It handles slush well, and performed as expected (average) on ice. It was magnitudes better than the BF Goodrich Wranglers that they replaced. But compared to the Nokian LT3 studded tires that I use in the winter they were definitely in class below a winter tire.

Overall very happy with the Geolandar G015, and if I only had one set of tires for the Jeep would use them year round, but not happily.
Old 03-20-2022, 12:45 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The "3 peak mountain slowflake" mark/rating on a tire, frankly, should be ignored. Most tires that aren't performance summers can achieve it. All they test is the tire's ability to accelerate on medium-pack snow. No turning tests, no braking tests.

Tirerack's explanation:
  • Testing measures a tire's acceleration traction on medium-packed snow only. Braking and turning on snow, along with ice traction are not components of the test.
  • Tires branded with the 3PMSF symbol are expected to provide improved snow traction beyond a standard M+S branded all-season tire, however 3PMSF-branded all-season and all-terrain tires cannot match the traction of dedicated winter / snow tires in all winter weather conditions and should not be considered a replacement for where and when a dedicated winter tire is needed.

Fact of the matter is the 991's tire size requirements remove almost all choice of real snow tires.
Old 03-20-2022, 01:36 PM
sxseventy
Track Day

Anyone know if 17” rims would clear the brakes?
Old 03-20-2022, 03:50 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by sxseventy
Anyone know if 17” rims would clear the brakes?
I don't think there is even an 18" wheel that clears the suspension components.
Old 03-20-2022, 04:01 PM
sxseventy
Track Day

Bummer. Thanks
Old 03-20-2022, 06:35 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by koala
I don't think there is even an 18" wheel that clears the suspension components.
19 and 20 are OE.

I want to say there are some 18s that'll fit over non-S brakes, but that's asking for a specialized part for a base model car.
Old 03-20-2022, 07:00 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 460 Posts

how about just buy a Jeep

Quick Reply: Off-road tires for winter?