Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Sound Symposer delete

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 04:44 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 660 Posts

My car is going in next Friday to have all of this removed.

Apparently Toyota make the correct grommets to block off the holes. I’ll try and get some pics and report back.

Having a few other things installed as well. 🤣
Old 05-19-2022, 10:16 PM
Sarawnty
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
My car is going in next Friday to have all of this removed.

Apparently Toyota make the correct grommets to block off the holes. I’ll try and get some pics and report back.

Having a few other things installed as well. 🤣
The part number shown here is available from Toyota

The following users liked this post:
4 Point 0 (05-20-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 10:25 PM
BlitzIS
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 83 Posts

So these grommets would go into the intake piping that have been circled in blue in the above picture?
Old 05-20-2022, 12:27 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 126 Posts

I just tried this and I love the additional noise! It doesn’t sound muffled anymore and took 5 mins. I also discovered the previous owner covered the bare metal with sound deadening material - I guess there were some creak/rattle complaints. Maybe I should remove that too 😉

I captured some high-def interior audio clips with my setup that I’ll share in a bit - much more induction noise and my Turbosmart plumb back valves are much louder.

Originally Posted by Rapter
in my application my sound symposers are still connected inside the engine compartment.

the removal of foam permits/ promotes the following:
-massive increase of induction noise into the car (air flow noises)
-enhanced exhaust note
-gear box linkage noise
-awesome whoosh of air noise when changing gears (not turbo noise)
-enhanced engine noise
-drive train noises (valve,clatter and injectors)
-sounds like a race car
-sound of flowing sand ??? Lol…it’s a funny sound and I like it

it’s still winter around here so it has been really cold …don’t know yet if there is a heat issue.

since the removal of the carpet and foam is fully reversible I suggest to take 10-15 mins to remove everything and enjoy. If you don’t like put everything back.
4 Point 0 (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 01:05 PM
myrr
Pro

Received 312 Likes on 154 Posts

I tried this and was super optimistic about the results at first when pulling out of the driveway... however after driving around a bit reverted back to stock. Reason being, at least on my T, along with more mechanical noise (that was pleasant) I gained a super high pitched whine that to my ears wasn't desirable.

Was an easy thing to try though, and appreciate the thread regardless.

A question for those who don't have T's, does the rear carpeted panel that pulls off the frame above the sound symposers have slats/vents in it? I noticed that mine does... wasn't aware of that until I popped it off. I know the T is supposed to have less insulation, so curious if that part is different as well.

I only ask because if that part is not common to all trims, it might be an easy upgrade for those who want more mechanical noises in general.

Edit: looks like it is "vented" across all 991.2 trims at least. According to my Google-Fu. Was worth exploring though! Carry on....

Last edited by myrr; 05-20-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-20-2022, 04:53 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Here’s my interior audio clip. Turbosmart plumb back valves and intake/induction noises are much more audible and there is more organic noise that enters the cabin. Now I feel like I just removed the ear muffs off my C4. Don’t think I’ll ever go back.

View this post on Instagram
4 Point 0 (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 07:11 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myrr
I tried this and was super optimistic about the results at first when pulling out of the driveway... however after driving around a bit reverted back to stock. Reason being, at least on my T, along with more mechanical noise (that was pleasant) I gained a super high pitched whine that to my ears wasn't desirable.

Was an easy thing to try though, and appreciate the thread regardless.

Is your T stock? These cars are quiet stock, and Porsche probably wanted some noise.

But once the exhaust is modded, there is plenty of noise and you don’t need the symposer competing.

Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
Now I feel like I just removed the ear muffs off my C4. Don’t think I’ll ever go back.

=
Epic man . I’m excited to clean up the interior sound as well.

With all the TiAL tubes and Turbos and catless and Vektor headers, my car sounds great.

I think its perfect values closed. Open is awesome at the track, but a little loud on the street. It turns too many heads on the sidewalk when open and attracts too much unwanted attention. But closed its musical and not in anyones face. Best of both worlds.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 05-20-2022 at 09:52 PM.
AlexZTuned (05-21-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 07:16 PM
myrr
Pro

Received 312 Likes on 154 Posts

^yeah intake/exhaust is otherwise stock so yeah that’s probably why it wasn’t a huge difference. Based on the video above it’s a different story with some mods!
4 Point 0 (05-20-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 09:54 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myrr
^yeah intake/exhaust is otherwise stock so yeah that’s probably why it wasn’t a huge difference. Based on the video above it’s a different story with some mods!
I have full bolt ons with TiAL turbos, inlets, and Vektor headers with a catless exhaust. Also have Turbosmart plumb back valves and a BMC filter - no PSE so it’s on all the time. My quiet setting is putting it in normal mode to drop RPMs at idle and not flooring it 😉

It’s probably about as loud as you can get in the interior and I have no complaints. But I have a high threshold for sound.
Old 05-13-2024, 01:17 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Bump for guys making new Y-Pipe.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4 Point 0:
991ff (05-13-2024), Dark_horse (05-14-2024)

Quick Reply: 991.2 Sound Symposer delete