Sponsored by:

Removing center vent 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 09:54 AM
Garmin935
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing center vent 991.2

I’ve scoured the forum and YouTube looking for information on how to remove the center vent of my 991.2, but I’m still having trouble figuring out how to do it. I ordered the vent removal tool from Suncoast but there’s a disclaimer of use it at your own risk. Does anyone have a video resource and/pictures that explain how I can’t do this without breaking things?

I can’t tell if the tool is meant to hook and pull out the vent or if the tool is meant to push/pull locking tabs to release the vent.

any help is appreciated.

this is all coming about because the little vent tab popped off yesterday and I can’t reattach the front and rear pieces with the vent in place.

Broken vent tab on the right. The two pieces just separated. They aren’t really broken.

The two pieces assembled. This is how it would look when correctly reattached to the horizontal vane. I was attempting to use these picks to pull the rear piece forward while pushing the front piece backward to attach them. Seems impossible without another set of hands.

Another view of what I attempted to do with these pieces in the vent.

Oblique view. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-05-2022, 09:57 AM
Garmin935
Intermediate

I found the MA Carbon vent installation guide but I’m still unclear on how to do this without breaking the tabs or marring my dash trim.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:05 AM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 74 Posts

Check the Musical upgrade thread for how to remove the PCM surround and center channel speaker. That should give you access to the center vents as well
Old 03-05-2022, 10:24 AM
Garmin935
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Josh(PA)
Check the Musical upgrade thread for how to remove the PCM surround and center channel speaker. That should give you access to the center vents as well
that’s a good idea, but I think i can remove the vent without moving the trim pieces or the PCM, greatly reducing my risk of breaking something. Just not quite sure how to do it.

my concern is that the things I’ve read that say it can be done mention that it requires quite a lot of force (scary) and that you have to bend two tabs. Just can’t figure out there those tabs are located or which way to bend them. Also unsure of whether to try to pull straight out or at some sort of angle.

Last edited by Garmin935; 03-05-2022 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-05-2022, 01:25 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,125 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by Garmin935
I found the MA Carbon vent installation guide but I’m still unclear on how to do this without breaking the tabs or marring my dash trim.

According to the MA Carbon instructions, it can be pried out. Have not removed the center vent, but have removed the side vents by jiggling without tools and it came out relatively easily. Have you tired that?
Old 03-05-2022, 03:48 PM
Garmin935
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
According to the MA Carbon instructions, it can be pried out. Have not removed the center vent, but have removed the side vents by jiggling without tools and it came out relatively easily. Have you tired that?

I haven’t tried anything, yet. Trying to crowd source before I break something.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:12 AM
lunker325
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I replaced my center vent assembly a few months ago, the drivers side slats were broken and could not be repaired. Luckily found a used one on eBay for a decent price.

I used the MA Carbon instructions posted above, didn’t have any issues, believe it’s held in with metal “spring” clips. There really isn’t anything to break, my main concern was not to mar the dash or vent assembly.

I can post up some pics of the vent I removed to show where the metal clips are so you can focus in those areas.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:25 AM
Garmin935
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lunker325
I replaced my center vent assembly a few months ago, the drivers side slats were broken and could not be repaired. Luckily found a used one on eBay for a decent price.

I used the MA Carbon instructions posted above, didn’t have any issues, believe it’s held in with metal “spring” clips. There really isn’t anything to break, my main concern was not to mar the dash or vent assembly.

I can post up some pics of the vent I removed to show where the metal clips are so you can focus in those areas.
thank you. That would be awesome. I have read a post where someone mentioned that there are metal clips that need to be pried in order to make it slide out more easily. I bought/ordered the vent removal tool from Suncoast and the schematic pic on their website seems to show it being inserted and then catching onto the backside of the entire vent assembly. Then ?you pull it out.

did you pry yours out by pulling straight out without any angulation? Do you have pics showing where the tabs are located? Were there any metal clips? Thanks in advance! I’m trying to repair the vent tab that just came apart (but really isn’t broken) without spending the $290 plus tax and shipping for an entire vent assembly.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:47 PM
lunker325
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad to help, took a top side and bottom side photo. The red circles are the metal tabs that are holding it in. The basic strategy is to pull the vent past the resistance of the metal tabs, whether it’s by prying with plastic tools or with the vent removal tools from the inside. I personally would use the vent removal tools first to pull from the inside, less of a chance of damaging the vent outer trim or the dash when using pry tools. Releasing the top clips first will make it easy to swivel down and past the bottom clips.

You could also use credit cards or the like to slide in and make the tabs easier to disengage, similar to this post removing the dome light trim for a radar detector install. I just used this technique when hardwiring my Uniden R7 and it worked very well! In this case with the vent removal, I would use 4 credit cards, leaving them in at each clip location along the top. Should require much less force to pull it free.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1059...e-install.html

Hope that helps, it’s not as scary as it sounds!

Old 03-06-2022, 01:30 PM
Garmin935
Intermediate

Thank you. I’m going to try this once the tool arrives. Thanks for the pics.
Old 11-10-2023, 08:00 PM
Vinh Nguyen
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 93 Posts

You definitely don't want to be trying to pull out the vents by tugging on the slats. It will break.

If you have the vent removal tool great, but a 90 degree pick tool will work just the same.

You essentially want to insert the pick tool on the outer edge and feel around for an opening (its a small circular opening) which you can get your tool in/around. Once its in place, pull firmly directly out and the vent trim will come out from its tension tabs.

Note in the pic below, right hand side, the 90 degree pick is protruding out from the circular hole/opening. When you "feel that" pull directly out in the red arrow direction.
There isn't any real way to take a photo of the actual process, kind of have to go by "feel". I have the vents removed and turned upside down for illustration purposes only.

Last edited by Vinh Nguyen; 11-10-2023 at 08:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vinh Nguyen:
Porsche_nuts (11-10-2023), thesaintusa (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 01:35 AM
chrisgo
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Would you know where to find this A/C Vent tab clip piece for a 2014 991.1? I have the remaining part of the clip (the front portion) but it does not have the back portion. There seems to be a lot of these "repair kits" available for Cayenne and Macans where you don't even have to pull out the entire vent unit (they call it "repair kits"?). Kind of trying to figure out how to buy a replacement (center A/C vent left tab broke off)
Old 04-23-2024, 09:14 AM
Vinh Nguyen
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 93 Posts

Not sure on the part number exactly and while its not ideal, you could buy a spare part from salvage off ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17629698453...gcDqR_9WhLfUxY

Just pull the missing tab/part that you need and take it for your working piece.

Quick Reply: Removing center vent 991.2