991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022 | 01:05 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

I am curious why the choice of sway bars before doing better coilovers (Ohlins) and GT3 lower control arms (Tarett) for more camber? I've done that, working with my indy mechanic (who races), and who says the sway bars would be next steps, after the shocks and control arms. After 6 autocross dates and two HPDE days those changes, and stickier tires 200 treadwear), the car is a revelation.
Old 03-24-2022 | 02:16 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Scott O'Connor
I am curious why the choice of sway bars before doing better coilovers (Ohlins) and GT3 lower control arms (Tarett) for more camber? I've done that, working with my indy mechanic (who races), and who says the sway bars would be next steps, after the shocks and control arms. After 6 autocross dates and two HPDE days those changes, and stickier tires 200 treadwear), the car is a revelation.
Probably because changing those put you into higher level car class in autox, and typically can change out one sway bar and still be stock class. Although, I think the Carrera T will be in S stock, so you’ll be running against Z06 that will destroy you so you’ll never be competitive anyways.
Old 03-24-2022 | 11:00 PM
cmorales954
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MingusDew
Probably because changing those put you into higher level car class in autox, and typically can change out one sway bar and still be stock class. Although, I think the Carrera T will be in S stock, so you’ll be running against Z06 that will destroy you so you’ll never be competitive anyways.
Exactly. SS class in SCCA allows for the GT3, as well. But, at smaller clubs, not likely to be fighting many GT3s
Old 03-25-2022 | 12:15 AM
Tommy L Garage
Rennlist Member

I’ve got brand new Eibach sway bars for sale (front and back) for a killer price. DM me if you’d like it
Old 03-25-2022 | 01:17 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

I've only Autocrossed with local the PCA chapter, where there are only 2 "classes," Porsche and Not Porsche, and nobody really cares. Our regulars include a GT3 that usually wins. Other recent winners include a 997 2S, a GTM, and a Tesla Model 3 Performance with after market suspension tuning. So, for my venue, adding coilovers and sway bars changes the car performance, but not the classification. I usually beat most of the Corvettes, except for one guy who has been an SCCA national champ and runs on Hoosier slicks.
Old 03-27-2022 | 12:48 PM
991_T
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by conemasher
I have not. I was looking at aftermarket with some adjustability. Is the GTS one stiffer than the stock base?

Yup I was looking at those along with Tarett. For now, I have new tires and installed the DSC controller. I have an event this coming weekend so I'm excited to see the difference.
Hey Conemasher,

So how did go with the DSC thought's ?
Old 03-30-2022 | 01:11 AM
conemasher
Track Day

Sorry everyone it's been a really long week. Replies below but first an update. Fresh tires and the DSC controller fixed the understeer issue! I suspect the warmer weather helped too as I was able to get some heat into the tires. I was really impressed the with the DSC controller. Not only did it soak up the bumps really well but I never felt the car get unsettled. The car felt planted and rotated really well with lifting and trail braking for tight corners. Now I just need to get familiar with this setup and focus on improving my driving.

Originally Posted by 991_T
I'm not sure that the GTS sway bar would be any stiffer, the "T"'s seem to have a lot of parts handed down from the pricier models.
I just completed a POC TimeTrial event last weekend and I again was very impressed with the handling of the car with the DSC in Sport + to the point where my PZero's got hot and fell off to the point of drifting the car in the hairpins and I had to retire for the rest of the afternoon before I ended up in the dirt spinning.
The good thing is after two weekends at the track I pretty much have learned that I'll need a good set of track tires next time to help keep the car on the track.
I might get in a POC PDS weekend in the T before jumping into a Spec Boxster then I won't be as cautious about driving the wheels off the car lol.
I camped at the track for three nights and met a few really cool neighbors that were all about Porsche's one individual had never seen a T before but was well versed with his DSC and had made his own setting to stiffen up the car more than the Sport + mode, maybe after this weekend you'll probably know what the limits are with your driving style
for me I won't be programming anything in the "custom" mode.
Please report back after your weekend I like to hear your thoughts on your DSC.
I can't wait to get on the track. I've been autocrossing extensively with several organizations including PCA and I plan on tracking it in the near future. I'm happy with the sport+ suspension out of the box so I won't be messing with custom programming either.

Originally Posted by MingusDew
Bingo. I believe the NSX also runs in the same class. I'm not looking to be competitive in the class but just improving my driving. I think once I've progressed and looking to be competitive, I'll retire the 911 from autocross and find something else in a different class.

Originally Posted by 991_T
Hey Conemasher,

So how did go with the DSC thought's ?
DSC was great! Installation was quick and straightforward. I read another thread about using it and how the dial on the steering wheel no longer controls suspension (have to push the button below the shifter) but that didn't bother me as the last used suspension setting is retained when the car is turned off. The increased comfort in normal mode around was noticeable too.

Originally Posted by Scott O'Connor
I've only Autocrossed with local the PCA chapter, where there are only 2 "classes," Porsche and Not Porsche, and nobody really cares. Our regulars include a GT3 that usually wins. Other recent winners include a 997 2S, a GTM, and a Tesla Model 3 Performance with after market suspension tuning. So, for my venue, adding coilovers and sway bars changes the car performance, but not the classification. I usually beat most of the Corvettes, except for one guy who has been an SCCA national champ and runs on Hoosier slicks.
I attended my first PCA event just over a month ago and there were multiple showroom stock classes depending on the generation. It was nice to see a variety of Porsches. They're usually in the minority at most autocrosses with other organizations.
The following users liked this post:
991_T (03-30-2022)

Quick Reply: Rear Sway Bar